Frightened Senegal

knottyjulius

Nov 8, 2009
Parrots
3 yr old Goffin's Cockatoo "Luna"
7 yr old Senegal Parrot "Mosquito (Skeeter for short)"
Recently, I adopted a 7 year old male Senegal Parrot from a couple who were unable to care for all of their birds. He is in great health and I've had him for going on 2 months now. The lady told us he was kind of picky with who he trusts and likes to interact with. When I was at their house picking him up, he didn't want to step up for me when I put my hand next to him; but he didn't want to bite either.
When we got home he would readily accept treats and seem fairly indifferent to us. Then after a couple days he would let me scratch his head and neck. A few more days and he was stepping up onto my finger on request and beginning to make all kinds of noises (including loud whistles when I would leave the house). We got to the point where I could pick him up, flip him on his back in my palm, and pet and scratch him wherever I wanted and he wouldn't protest. At the very worst I would get a gently groping with his beak, but never a bite.
Well the other day I went to get him from the perch that extends from the front of his cage to put him inside and he freaked out; went flying all over and squawking at me every time I tried to pick him up. Eventually I was able to get ahold of him and gently get him back to his cage. He continued to squawk though, and act as though I had tried to eat him. I haven't the slightest idea what happened! Maybe I walked up to him to quickly?
Anyway, now he has flipped a complete 180 from a week ago. For the first couple days after he just sat and stared at me when I was in the room and would immediately try to bite me if I tried to pet him. He has since gotten a little better, allowing me to scratch breifly on occasion and starting to make some of his cute noises and talk again. But if I ask him to step up and put me hand in front of him he squawks and jumps backwards, flapping his wings. Any advice out there of what you think caused this and the best way to decipher a solution? Thanks so much to whomever took the time to read this.

Beatriz Cazeneuve

Banned
Banned
Dec 10, 2009
Poconos, Pa, USA
Well, it's impossible to tell what happened without been there so I cannot help you with that but what I can tell you is that I have been in rescue for years and years, that I care for over 100 birds and that I find the sennies to be one of the most difficult species to deal with. They are incredibly stubborn and almost completely unpredictable. I had a situation similar to the one you tell about. A female sennie that came to me when she was 12 and took a very short while to bond quite deeply with me but, last year's breeding season (2008), she turned on me and I still have no clear idea why although her behavior seemed to be fueled by jealousy. I waited her out and she finally came out of it and went back to been her usual affectionate girl until earlier this year when she decided she didn't want to love me as much. Mind you, she doesn't bite me and, if I asked her, she would step up for me, and, on occasion, she flies over to my shoulder or to a branch in front of my face and asks for a scratch but that is the extent of our relationship now. Which, by the way, suits me just fine as she was a bit too clingy and that's never good.

So, what I suggest you do is leave the bird alone for a while, talk, whistle, sing, let it out of its cage, etc but don't ask for step-ups or anything. Let the bird tell you when he's ready for a closer relationship again and, when he does, don't rush headfirst into it, let him set the pace.

OP
K

knottyjulius

Nov 8, 2009
Parrots
3 yr old Goffin's Cockatoo "Luna"
7 yr old Senegal Parrot "Mosquito (Skeeter for short)"
Thanks Beatriz for your reply. You know the more time I spend with him versus the other birds I know, the more I am finding exactly the same thing. He is a stubborn little booger. I haven't found him to be so unpredictable though. He's pretty clear with his body language what he wants to happen. So on to the main point...I worked with him for a long time last night, giving him space but making friends again. Basically repeating the process I used when we first met. I didn't ask for a step up, just talked to him and sat close to his cage until he started acting like his old self. Well today when I was home on my lunch break I opened his cage door. He first lowered his head and let me scrath his neck. Then he climbed on top of his cage and squeaked and cooed until I petted him and let him step up to my hand and then my shoulder! I'm still not sure what frightened him but it seems as though we're moving past it :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts