Frightening evening..

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
...last night. BB flies extremely well. He knows the layout of the house perfectly. He can zoom from his house down the hall and into my bedroom with ease and back again. He flies circles in the living room/kitchen thru the partition window that seperates the kitchen/living room,landing on the fridge or dinning room table.
He was on Amy's play top last night as I took the trash out to the deck to toss in the garbage bin down below. I was half-way out the door when I hear flap-flap-tweet tweet and feel him land on my shoulder :eek: Luckily David was right there to shoo him back in the house :) It could have been a disaster.

PLEASE be vigilant with a flighted bird!! I never expected this to happen,and I knew where he was,only takes a moment to loose your precious fid. I should have put him in his house now I know better.

Here are a couple pics of the lay-ou,one showing Amy on BB's roof and the other of the partition and back door right behind it.

Jim

26033d1616964946-frightening-evening-img_1265.jpg

26034d1616964972-frightening-evening-img_1264.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1265.jpg
    IMG_1265.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_1264.jpg
    IMG_1264.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 152
Last edited by a moderator:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Oh Jim, thank goodness!! I did almost exactly the same thing, well quite a few years ago now, with our then cockatiel Kang, when I was taking out some trash and forgot she was on my shoulder. She took off but after a few laps of the house and a close shave with a butcherbird I got her back - don't ask me how!! I believe that the "God Of Small Things With Wings" was watching over her that day, just as with BB. I'm so glad your little Beebmeister is safe, and props to Uncle David for the save!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Clearly a wake-up call, Jim! That only take a second thing is just so very real! No one believes until they are faced with such an event!

So very happy that things went the 'good way' in your case good friend!

Wow, Julio would be over to your table and moving those remote controls to his many hiding places!

OP
AmyMyBlueFront

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Clearly a wake-up call, Jim! That only take a second thing is just so very real! No one believes until they are faced with such an event!

So very happy that things went the 'good way' in your case good friend!

Wow, Julio would be over to your table and moving those remote controls to his many hiding places!

I have no clue on why he has so many remotes Steven:rolleyes: He's an engineer so there must be a hidden reason...me? I'm just a simple kind of guy and require only one ;)

Jim

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Glad the Beebs is safe! Honestly Jim, that is a mistake any one of us could make, glad David was there to help. Thanks for posting as reminder!

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
I am so sure that had you very upset!
I now live alone, but my rule still stands! JoJo out? All doors locked!

I had a get together this weekend and when I had to move JoJo, you would think I was moving nitroglycerin!
I stopped all conversations, locked down house, and made everyone focus while I made the transfer!

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Glad he didn’t get out.
I know I have gotten a bit lax with Bella but she doesn’t have any thing close to the speed my Cockatiels do.

I have seen plastic door knob hangers (like hotel do not disturb signs) that say “don’t open door, bird is loose. When everything is safe turn it around with a different message.

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
I’m so glad Beebs is safe, and thank you for the reminder. I’m also very careful to put Bums away when I open a door, but it would be so easy to forget!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Here is a pic of the door hangers/

stop door warning.jpg

raeleigh26

Dec 27, 2020
I am so sure that had you very upset!
I now live alone, but my rule still stands! JoJo out? All doors locked!

I had a get together this weekend and when I had to move JoJo, you would think I was moving nitroglycerin!
I stopped all conversations, locked down house, and made everyone focus while I made the transfer!
(**whispers** I feel this on so many levels [emoji15])

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Latest posts