From hot to cold

CharlieT

Jun 20, 2021
Dear All,

I'd love to get a caique, but I'd really appreciate some advice on it first. I'm currently resident in Guyana, where caiques are of course native. In my time here, I've come across a lot of pet caiques and they're real characters.

I've been offered a young caique, but I'm concerned that in about five months I'll be heading back to central Chile. The summers in Santiago are hot and dry, whereas the winters can get pretty cold and dry (down to around 3-4 degrees outside). I would arrive at the start of the summer.

Over the next few years, I may find myself moving again - this time back to the UK, with all its wonderful weather conditions.

By all means, I would expect to spend most of the time with the caique indoors. However, I wouldn't want to accept the caique I've been offered unless I was confident that it would be comfortable with these changes in climate and wouldn't suffer.

I'd be really grateful for any insight that you could offer. I would love to adopt the caique, but at this stage, I'm just trying to decide if it would be irresponsible to do so.

Thanks!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Traveling with Parrots internationally is demanding and frustrating at the very least. Your plans will require a strong document package from proof of ownership, health certificates and import /export documents, plus documents required by the Airlines with their changing requirements as they attempt to keep up with international laws and specific laws of different countries. Especially with the changing laws effected by SARS-CoV-2 and its variates.

It is all very possible, but it is important to remember that while most people are enjoying life, you will be busy prepping for your next international move.

The important temperature is the indoor temperature of your apartment!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Sailboat pretty much summed up the situation above! Parrots of diverse species live on most every continent, most critical aspect is providing comfortable local "weather" in your dwelling. Most species are quite hardy and adapt to variety of temperatures and humidity.

weatherstokehold

Apr 12, 2022
Dear All,

I'd love to get a caique, but I'd really appreciate some advice on it first. I'm currently resident in Guyana, where caiques are of course native. In my time here, I've come across a lot of pet caiques and they're real characters.

I've been offered a young caique, but I'm concerned that in about five months I'll be heading back to central Chile. The summers in Santiago are hot and dry, whereas the winters can get pretty cold and dry (down to around 3-4 degrees outside). I would arrive at the start of the summer.

Over the next few years, I may find myself moving again - this time back to the UK, with all its wonderful weather conditions.

By all means, I would expect to spend most of the time with the caique indoors. However, I wouldn't want to accept the caique I've been offered unless I was confident that it would be comfortable with these changes in climate and wouldn't suffer.

I'd be really grateful for any insight that you could offer. I would love to adopt the caique, but at this stage, I'm just trying to decide if it would be irresponsible to do so.

Thanks!
Parrots can adjust to climate instability. You will not hurt them! Unfortunately, we all must adapt to changes in our environments. An ecology becomes worse every day. In my opinion, it's more important for your parrots than climate change. No one wants to adjust to polluted air. You must take care of the water your parrots will drink. But first of all, we need to worry about our ecology.

Be sure about the safety of your parrots on the plane because no one will care about your birds there.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
THink really hard and do a LOT of investigation on immigrating with your parrot. It is daunting, complex and can be hard on the parrot, as there can be quarantines away from you. Every country is totally different and the rules are changing almost weekly, as Sailboats said. Airlines too. Some do not allow birds, some make them fly in the baggage area which is stressfull!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Parrots can adjust to climate instability. You will not hurt them! Unfortunately, we all must adapt to changes in our environments. An ecology becomes worse every day. In my opinion, it's more important for your parrots than climate change. No one wants to adjust to polluted air. You must take care of the water your parrots will drink. But first of all, we need to worry about our ecology.

Be sure about the safety of your parrots on the plane because no one will care about your birds there.

Got-up this morning and verified that the Sun is within the same +/- range that it has been in for the last 1000 years. Also checked the distances between the Earth and the Sun and found that over the last 1000 years we are a bit closer to the Sun. More likely due to the very minor increase in the Sun's diameter, which is common for a Star that is about half way thru its life span. Also checked that our tilt is about the same +/- range that it has been in for the last 1000 years. Did see a continued drift of our magnetic North Pole as it shifts, likely do to a possible shift in its location -- something that happens ever now and then as clearly indicated in the magnetic positions locked into the Rocks.

Also, elected to check North America's Air Mass and found it continues to improve, which began someplace in the mid-1950. Also found that our Rivers tend to be less contaminated also since the mid-1950's. Was very amazed to find that the site testing for both has shifted over the last three decade and at the same time become more selective, which good science would /should question, but never seems to happen much any more.

So, just what should be we checking about the "ecology?" Is there a problem with the "ecology; You bet there is and in the Bread Basket of the World, a Country and its "ecology" is being systematic blacked by another country! The same country that to a much lesser level today, we have been buying heavy /dirty fuel from. That fuel is much dirtier than what is available in North America. Buying North American is much better for the our ecology.

weatherstokehold

Apr 12, 2022
Got-up this morning and verified that the Sun is within the same +/- range that it has been in for the last 1000 years. Also checked the distances between the Earth and the Sun and found that over the last 1000 years we are a bit closer to the Sun. More likely due to the very minor increase in the Sun's diameter, which is common for a Star that is about half way thru its life span. Also checked that our tilt is about the same +/- range that it has been in for the last 1000 years. Did see a continued drift of our magnetic North Pole as it shifts, likely do to a possible shift in its location -- something that happens ever now and then as clearly indicated in the magnetic positions locked into the Rocks.

Also, elected to check North America's Air Mass and found it continues to improve, which began someplace in the mid-1950. Also found that our Rivers tend to be less contaminated also since the mid-1950's. Was very amazed to find that the site testing for both has shifted over the last three decade and at the same time become more selective, which good science would /should question, but never seems to happen much any more.

So, just what should be we checking about the "ecology?" Is there a problem with the "ecology; You bet there is and in the Bread Basket of the World, a Country and its "ecology" is being systematic blacked by another country! The same country that to a much lesser level today, we have been buying heavy /dirty fuel from. That fuel is much dirtier than what is available in North America. Buying North American is much better for the our ecology.
Do you really think that I'm talking about whether the Earth has moved away from the sun or not? That's funny. If you really were identified in the topic of ecology, you would not write this empty text to me ;)

Henderbird

Apr 7, 2022
Canada
Parrots
Munchkin the Sun Conure!

Wow this was really interesting and impressive to read, Sailboat!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Do you really think that I'm talking about whether the Earth has moved away from the sun or not? That's funny. If you really were identified in the topic of ecology, you would not write this empty text to me ;)
Nope! Was just checking reality and found that it is still stable.
FYI: I commonly write to the unintended viewer.

Most Reactions

Latest posts