Frozen food?

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
I have read all over that fresh food is best, which makes sense. Then a lot of times articles and individuals will say that it is ok to freeze and then thaw fruits and veggies for feeding. Just wondering, is there something wrong with feeding frozen? Obviously I would not feed the main meal frozen, but I feel like any extra variety, even variety in temp, is good for them. And with how much they love to chew things, wouldn't a frozen broccoli tree be just as good or better than a thawed one? Anyway, maybe people just assume you thaw it, but has anyone fed frozen? Is there any reason not to if you can't do fresh?

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
You can make birdy treats using frozen foods....

Make a fruit slushie, freeze, then feed frozen.
Make regular ice cubes and toss in pieces of fruits.

Great way to keep cool in the summer!

Frozen food loses some nutrients once you freeze it, so it's not *as good* as fresh. If you make fresh food and freeze it, it's recommended to defrost it before feeding (but do not feed it warm!).

When making a mixed mash, it is okay to use frozen/thawed foods, too. A seven layer salad with one layer of frozen veggies even helps to keep it fresher for longer. Just generally speaking, not recommended to feed frozen.

khaiqha

Sep 19, 2012
Lewisville, TX
Parrots
Alexandrine Ringneck,
about to be getting a Jardine's
Vegetables are frozen right at their peek in season. They will have more nutritional value than eating produce out of season.

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
Vegetables are frozen right at their peek in season. They will have more nutritional value than eating produce out of season.

I agree. I definately go with frozen with certain things (like berries). Most "fresh" in grocery stores is crate ripened. When in doubt, grow yourself :).

GladeWing

Oct 16, 2013
Southeastern U.S.
Parrots
Khepri - Blue and Gold Macaw

Oh wow, I did not know this (I feel derp!) I usually use frozen fruits or vegetables in my home-made birdie bread because they cook in with the mix so much nicer.

Most Reactions

Latest posts