Full spectrum question

BirdManSam

Oct 5, 2017
Hi, I have a African Grey named Lexy. She's 7 years old. I been using featherbright spiral lights that are made for birds for the last 5 years. After doing some research everywhere I heard that for African Greys it would be better to have 5% UVB. Also in some PDF writup I found online that a girl named Laura Wade, DVM, ABVP (Avian) [br]Specialized Care for Avian & Exotic Pets said that African grey can benefit from higher UVB and listed these lights below[br][br]High UVB:[br]ZooMed Reptisun 5.0 linear tube [br]Hagen ExoTerra Reptiglo 5.0 linear tube[br] [br]Low UVB:[br]Arcadia Bird Lamp linear tube [br]Duro-Test Vita-Lite linear tube[br][br]Anyway, I ended up buying a Zoomed Reptisun 5.0 linear T8 48inches long that has 5% UVB, 30% UVA, And 6700 Kelvin rating. Now my only concern is the Kelvin rating that is 6700k. I know 5500k is the exact number for birds to see in the right color but when I asked them if they had anything with 5% uvb and 30% UVA with a lower Kelvin they said no, that's the lowest one. So I'm assuming this is the light mentioned everywhere for higher UVB for African Greys. I have bought a fixture for this zoo med T8 bulb and it comes with two spots to put up to two bulbs in the fixture. What I would like to know is if I buy another light bulb that has no UVB and no UVA and only has Kelvin rating of 5500k would I be able to put that in the fixture along with the zoo med bulb that has 5% UVB, 30% UVA and 6700 Kelvin? Would my African Grey be able to see in the right spectrum only, in the 5500 Kelvin rays, and then the 6700 Kelvin bulb would not affect her? or would I need to get a bulb with a much lower Kelvin like 4000 Kelvin so they meet up in the middle somewhere (5500k)? Basically I'm planning on adding a lower Kelvin light with no UVA and no UVB and just Kelvin of 5500 with the one that has a higher Kelvin in hopes that it either overrides it or my African Grey sees like it is 5500k only and the other Kelvin from the other light isn't affecting her sight. I want to use the zoo med light and I'm trying to make it perfect. Only thing that zoo med light is missing is the right Kelvin rating. If anyone can help me with this it would be really appreciated. Also would like to know if there can be anything negative happen by using 6700 Kelvin with African Grey, and if anyone knows where I can get a 48 inch linear bulb that has 5% UVB, 30% UVA, and 5500 Kelvin please let me know. I've looked everywhere and nothing so far. Thank you.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
DO NOT put your parrot under a reptile UV light! They get extremely hot and are simply not suitable for parrots. There are 2 brands of avian-specific UV bulbs I know of, a Zoo Med one made for birds and featherbrite brand. Our BFA has a featherbrite lightbulb. I can't say if it actually simulates the sun or not, I'm not a scientist or vet, but I do know he "perks up" when it's on and seems to enjoy the light from it.

Can't speak for the ZooMed avian-specific bulb, but it looks clunky to me (the fixture it has to be in) and limiting for taller cages larger birds live in:

Zoo Med Avian Sun? Deluxe Floor Lamp for Birds w/ 5.0 UVB Compact Fluorescent Bulb

You might just be better replacing your featherbrite and ideally, when it's warm enough out, put your bird in a cage outside to be in the *real* sun:)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Full Spectrum Lighting cannot replace natural sunlight and provides no medical advantage other than providing a light spectrum near Noon Sunlight. This as noted above, provides a light that both Parrots and Humans alike find enjoyable.

It is important to understand that light at this spectrum can have an affect on the body's natural day /night patterning and as a result has been noted to cause problems with sleep. This can be avoided by simply reduce the amount of light by turning off lights or using a dimmer unit.

With the advent of LED Light Bulbs the cost of providing High Noon Daylight has been greatly reduced and simplified since most all light bulb style light fixtures can be used. NOTE: Never select a light bulb with a greater 'wattage' than the light fixture is warrantied.

As stated, Full Spectrum Lighting does not duplicate Natural High Noon Sunlight and as a result cannot provide the advantages or disadvantages thereof.

There is much Junk Science out there and can easily confuse. Remember that the actual 'wave length' of the Sun's Full Spectrum (at High Noon) is a bit more than 8 meters and no light bulb can product that length of wave.

Last edited:
OP
B

BirdManSam

Oct 5, 2017
DO NOT put your parrot under a reptile UV light! They get extremely hot and are simply not suitable for parrots. There are 2 brands of avian-specific UV bulbs I know of, a Zoo Med one made for birds and featherbrite brand. Our BFA has a featherbrite lightbulb. I can't say if it actually simulates the sun or not, I'm not a scientist or vet, but I do know he "perks up" when it's on and seems to enjoy the light from it.

Can't speak for the ZooMed avian-specific bulb, but it looks clunky to me (the fixture it has to be in) and limiting for taller cages larger birds live in:

Zoo Med Avian Sun? Deluxe Floor Lamp for Birds w/ 5.0 UVB Compact Fluorescent Bulb

You might just be better replacing your featherbrite and ideally, when it's warm enough out, put your bird in a cage outside to be in the *real* sun:)

Full Spectrum Lighting cannot replace natural sunlight and provides no medical advantage other than providing a light spectrum near Noon Sunlight. This as noted above, provides a light that both Parrots and Humans alike find enjoyable.

It is important to understand that light at this spectrum can have an affect on the body's natural day /night patterning and as a result has been noted to cause problems with sleep. This can be avoided by simply reduce the amount of light by turning off lights or using a dimmer unit.

With the advent of LED Light Bulbs the cost of providing High Noon Daylight has been greatly reduced and simplified since most all light bulb style light fixtures can be used. NOTE: Never select a light bulb with a greater 'wattage' than the light fixture is warrantied.

As stated, Full Spectrum Lighting does not duplicate Natural High Noon Sunlight and as a result cannot provide the advantages or disadvantages thereof.

There is much Junk Science out there and can easily confuse. Remember that the actual 'wave length' of the Sun's Full Spectrum (at High Noon) is a bit more than 8 meters and no light bulb can product that length of wave.

I found this on Arcadia website. This is about African Grey only. Interesting.

This is written on there site:
African grey parrot does have a marked requirement for exposure to the energy of the sun to help to keep it in tip top condition. Exposure to high levels of visible light not only sets circadian rhythm but it is also thought to help balance serotonin levels. Exposure to UVA as we have seen also helps, we think with balancing and maintaining good brain chemistry and of course activates tetrachromatic vision which in turn allows good visual communication among birds and reptiles. UVB is essential to life as it starts and maintains a reaction inside of the body that produces and maintains active levels of Vitamin D3. Vitamin D3 among other essential uses is the catalyst to Calcium absorption which is essential to bone and internal organ health and of course the production of eggs and feathers.
We have also seen key indicators in the wild parrot of its reliance upon the sun. Firstly its place in the eco-system (above the canopy and out into the scrublands and savannah) and we can clearly see large patches of bare skin on the face. For me these are all indicators of a species with adaptations to allow it to benefit from higher UV indexes in its wild range. Of course a species does not magically change its core requirements simply because it is now not wild. We as keepers cannot seek to override or even to second guess x million years of wild change and development. As always all of the secrets of great captive care are hidden in the wild animal.
We have also seen how the quantity or index of UV in the wild is utilised by a species in its home range and the importance of offering good areas of light and shade so that the bird can self-regulate its own level of exposure exactly as it would in the wild. We can see simply by looking at the weather patterns per species per home range the average requirement that a particular species has adapted to make full use of. In the case of the grey they could be exposed to massive indexes of UVB for most if not all of the year.

It is safe to say that an average dose would be almost twice of that which is common to the UK summer. Having said all of that putting your bird in the garden for a few hours a day even in the weaker indexes of the UK is by far one of the most useful things that you can do for its care. There will however be a potential shortfall of power when compared to the wild animal. If a species has adapted to utilise an index of 6-7 for much of the year and we provide it with 2-3 for a few weeks we have in theory underpowered or under provided for, for the bird. This is where good quality bird lighting can be very useful.

I would suggest that a captive grey is allowed to self-regulate its own level of exposure for 6-10 hours a day all year round. Please do place your bird with you in the garden in a safe way whenever the sun is shining. You can then allow the bird to self-regulate under its lamp for the rest of the day.

If we take the ParrotPro as an example of a system with defined parameters I would want to see a grey able to safely self-regulate under the lamps emission zone at a distance of around 12-15” from the lamp to the top of the birds head at the shortest point. This can then be provided for a large part of the day. I also see the sense in providing “down time” during the day where the bird is able to seek out some shade and rest. I use timers so that my birds/lamps rest for 1-2 hours a day over the lunchtime. We should seek to light a third to half of a cage which will leave plenty of room for the bird to seek out and to utilise shade and as such bring into effect the self-regulation of exposure per species.
Bird lighting is very safe and very effective but it can only be as effective as the dietary offering that is provided to the bird. A well balanced diet will allow the bird to seek out and obtain the minerals that it requires to stay at the peak of health and the UVB system will in some way allow the bird to assimilate that which we have offered as food. The underpinning key to the success of all of these systems is of course water. It is essential that our birds are very well hydrated at all times. A lack of hydration not only decreases the effectiveness of the D3 cycle but it has a hugely detrimental effect on the vital organs themselves.

Here is the link to the Arcadia website

UVB requirements of an African Grey | Bird Lighting

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us

African grey parrot does have a marked requirement for exposure to the energy of the sun to help to keep it in tip top condition. Exposure to high levels of visible light not only sets circadian rhythm but it is also thought to help balance serotonin levels. Exposure to UVA as we have seen also helps, we think with balancing and maintaining good brain chemistry and of course activates tetrachromatic vision which in turn allows good visual communication among birds and reptiles. UVB is essential to life as it starts and maintains a reaction inside of the body that produces and maintains active levels of Vitamin D3. Vitamin D3 among other essential uses is the catalyst to Calcium absorption which is essential to bone and internal organ health and of course the production of eggs and feathers.
We have also seen key indicators in the wild parrot of its reliance upon the sun. Firstly its place in the eco-system (above the canopy and out into the scrublands and savannah) and we can clearly see large patches of bare skin on the face. For me these are all indicators of a species with adaptations to allow it to benefit from higher UV indexes in its wild range. Of course a species does not magically change its core requirements simply because it is now not wild. We as keepers cannot seek to override or even to second guess x million years of wild change and development. As always all of the secrets of great captive care are hidden in the wild animal.
We have also seen how the quantity or index of UV in the wild is utilised by a species in its home range and the importance of offering good areas of light and shade so that the bird can self-regulate its own level of exposure exactly as it would in the wild. We can see simply by looking at the weather patterns per species per home range the average requirement that a particular species has adapted to make full use of. In the case of the grey they could be exposed to massive indexes of UVB for most if not all of the year.

It is safe to say that an average dose would be almost twice of that which is common to the UK summer. Having said all of that putting your bird in the garden for a few hours a day even in the weaker indexes of the UK is by far one of the most useful things that you can do for its care. There will however be a potential shortfall of power when compared to the wild animal. If a species has adapted to utilise an index of 6-7 for much of the year and we provide it with 2-3 for a few weeks we have in theory underpowered or under provided for, for the bird. This is where good quality bird lighting can be very useful.

I would suggest that a captive grey is allowed to self-regulate its own level of exposure for 6-10 hours a day all year round. Please do place your bird with you in the garden in a safe way whenever the sun is shining. You can then allow the bird to self-regulate under its lamp for the rest of the day.

If we take the ParrotPro as an example of a system with defined parameters I would want to see a grey able to safely self-regulate under the lamps emission zone at a distance of around 12-15” from the lamp to the top of the birds head at the shortest point. This can then be provided for a large part of the day. I also see the sense in providing “down time” during the day where the bird is able to seek out some shade and rest. I use timers so that my birds/lamps rest for 1-2 hours a day over the lunchtime. We should seek to light a third to half of a cage which will leave plenty of room for the bird to seek out and to utilise shade and as such bring into effect the self-regulation of exposure per species.
Bird lighting is very safe and very effective but it can only be as effective as the dietary offering that is provided to the bird. A well balanced diet will allow the bird to seek out and obtain the minerals that it requires to stay at the peak of health and the UVB system will in some way allow the bird to assimilate that which we have offered as food. The underpinning key to the success of all of these systems is of course water. It is essential that our birds are very well hydrated at all times. A lack of hydration not only decreases the effectiveness of the D3 cycle but it has a hugely detrimental effect on the vital organs themselves.

Of course they'll tell you to buy one, they're selling them! You'd be surprised how much people lie to sell stuff, I myself have given same grade A nonsense to sell stuff before in jobs.

I bought a UV bulb for parrots, have since asked a vet and their words are there's belief by some they make a parrot's life nicer in shorter day climates but for actual health benefits nothing has been proven yet as any parrots with marked increase in production of vitamins or minerals can be attributed to a change in diet

so in short some think they do stuff but no real experiment has been done to determine any real benefit.

As for reptile lamps definitely not, their design is to heat areas. It's akin to being shut in a car with the windows up

OP
B

BirdManSam

Oct 5, 2017

Of course they'll tell you to buy one, they're selling them! You'd be surprised how much people lie to sell stuff, I myself have given same grade A nonsense to sell stuff before in jobs.

I bought a UV bulb for parrots, have since asked a vet and their words are there's belief by some they make a parrot's life nicer in shorter day climates but for actual health benefits nothing has been proven yet as any parrots with marked increase in production of vitamins or minerals can be attributed to a change in diet

so in short some think they do stuff but no real experiment has been done to determine any real benefit.

As for reptile lamps definitely not, their design is to heat areas. It's akin to being shut in a car with the windows up

Yep I agree they do try and sell there products hard. I guess what I'm basically trying to do is mimic the African Greys habitat as much as possible in it's cage. I feed her 80% Harrison's high potency coarse and I also give her 13% vegetables, 7% fruits and I mix her Harrison's up with some organic red palm oil. I have her lights on a timer and she gets 12 hours sleep and 12 hours wake time. I was really trying to nail down the weather in Congo Africa lol. I have a humidifier also. I keep the temperature in the room where cage is at 24 Celcius
She gets ruffly 4 -5 hours out of cage a day.

Last edited:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
With few exceptions, all parrots have a requirement for a lot of sunlight exposure. A good chunk of parrot species are equatorial and nearly all live in tropical or subtropical climates. In fact, needing adequate exposure to sunlight to produce vitamin D so the body can utilize calcium properly occurs in many animals, including humans. If you live in a climate where there is not a lot of natural sunlight and you feel your bird may be suffering a deficiency, your better bet would be to discuss vitamin D3 supplementation with your avian vet rather than trying to get it from a light bulb (regardless of brand). It is a much more sure thing with a fairly controllable dosage based on your birds need. However, you would need your bird tested to see if they are even deficient in vitamin D first before supplementing and to determine how much/how often to supplement and that can only be determined and recommended by an avian vet. The ability for animals to adapt to their current environmental conditions is quite amazing, not to mention virtually all parrot specific foods are vitamin fortified so you may find he's not deficient at all, but the only way to be sure is proper laboratory testing through a vet.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Mine go outside and get sunlight.

Most Reactions

Latest posts