Full time job and bird

Weaselcheese

Aug 24, 2023
Hi there!
Iā€™ve been lurking on here a while after I found this site doing some research on getting a bird. I think Iā€™ve narrowed it down to a green cheek conure or a cockatiel. One question I do have is that is having a full time job Monday-Friday (8:30am - 4:30pm) ok while owning a bird? Of course it would have a big cage and plenty of toys to keep it occupied during the day and I would spend time with it a little before work and then after work it would be out until itā€™s bed time. I just want to make sure the bird will still have a happy life if itā€™s in its cage during the day until someone gets home from work.

Thanks in advance :)

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Many people make a full time job and a parrot work. I work from home, but while the kids are out of school I am not in my bird room/office until the afternoon - we pop in to feed them breakfast and ā€œlunchā€ and turn their radio on, but I usually donā€™t go sit down there until 4pm or sometimes a bit later.

Youā€™ll need to teach the bird to play with their toys or use foraging tools etc to keep themselves entertained- they donā€™t always know what to do with themselves or their stuff!

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
LOTS of people make having a FT job and birds work :) . Your plans sound good. As long as they have out of cage time when you're home and have that one on one interaction with you, you should be fine!

widor

Aug 23, 2021
Media
Hungary
Parrots
2 Green Check Conures,2 linolated parakeets- RIP, 2 kakariki
How about getting 2 like sisters or brothers( the ones the grew up together) so they will have company even when you are not home?

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
How about getting 2 like sisters or brothers( the ones the grew up together) so they will have company even when you are not home?
This (getting two or more birds) may sounds like a good idea- you get to have your birds and they get each other when you're not home- but I don't recommend it, at least not at first. Their out of cage time when you have two or more birds can get very chaotic, especially at first. You must keep track of exactly where each bird is for their safety and it can be downright exhausting as they zip around the room exploring. You will be whipping your head around constantly and getting up to remove them from dangers only for them to find another interesting place to investigate. It's also much more difficult to tame them and develop one on one bonds with each bird when they are more interested in each other than you. This can easily lead to keeping them caged more often and I don't think that's what you want.

Most Reactions

Latest posts