Fun parrot toys on ebay

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
s-l225.jpg

My Rosetta's been having LOTS Of fun with this toy, which I bought years ago for the Beaks on ebay for a few cents. Oddly, the Beaks never really liked this toy, so Rosetta has inherited it and she LOVES it! She carries it around with her everywhere and will periodically pause to roll onto her back and love it to bits, hugging it to herself and licking it with her tongue. In her cage, she'll get hold of it with one foot and drag it up to her perch (quite a distance), where she does her exercises with it, raising and lowering her foot until she drops it. Then, she starts all over again.

I was watching her today and thinking it would be useful to screw a tiny eyelet into the end of the handle. That would enable 'setta to get a proper hold on it with her bill or I could hang it from the roof of her cage by a stainless steel chain.

Anyway, there's lots and lots of great baby toys to be had on ebay, notably from China for very few $$$. This is especially good when you have a bird who destroys toys very easily.

PS. Latest fave for 'setta has been a roll of el cheapo toilet paper placed under and weighed down by her cage cover. She reaches through and shreds the paper, pulling off long strings until it's all gone. Messy, but fun to watch!

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
I am always superdistrustfull about 'made in China' because they will use everything -safe and unsafe- as long as it is cheap and they get away with it.
(Like a lot of unscrupulous people everywhere on this planet btw.)

(We still have people scavenging powerded babyfood here in the shops to send home to China/ or sell it there .. people will be people../ because they killed/mutilated lots of their own kids with melamine-contaminated babyfood there a few years ago. So if even the chinese cannot trust their own products...why should we? )

The autorities will test items to see if they are safe for kids etc. to use, and as long as I do not see that stamp anywhere... parnanoia sets in ;)

I am not saying you do anything wrong!!

As long as the toy does not get chipped etc I am happy she likes it.
Just beware of flakes etc.
Living a full, funfilled life is more important than get old in a barren cage, totay safe and bored stiff of course, and every toy is a bit of a risk anyway.

(Japie is currently trying to eat a door- so he runs a very real risk of getting his feathery butt kicked)

Last edited:
OP
Betrisher

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Christa, you're absolutely right! I googled it and found heaps of articles about Chinese toys being toxic! I hadn't heard about that at all.

Pounds to peanuts our cheap rattle is painted with lead paint, so it's out of Rosetta's reach and on a quick trip to the garbage dump.

Thanks so much for the heads-up. I'll be much more careful in future.

PS. Our galah, Dominic (RIP) actually ate one entire side of the architrave around a window in our old house. Given a nice piece of untreated native timber, he would turn up his beak in disgust. But faced with my nice tidy architrave, he couldn't stop himself and shredded it! Somehow, he managed to do it when no one was watching, despite our best efforts. :D

Most Reactions

Latest posts