future lorikeet!

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
hello
ive been inlove with lorikeets for my entire life and have been saving up and doing tons of research daily
i finally decided on getting one i have already planned on the cage and wrote down a ton of toys to buy later on i have located a store that sells necture for lorikeets and all that stuff and i am willing in taking care of it and the cleaning here is the cage i will buy
https://www.amazon.com/Prevue-Pet-P...words=large+flight+cage&qid=1632826525&sr=8-7
iam looking for a wider cage at the moment
and i am looking for tips at the moment from expirenced lorikeet owners :)
i have located a rainbow and a purple crowned lorikeet breeder and he is breeding duskies as well which breed will be best for a first time lorikeet owner/

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I would honestly recommend waiting until you are out of school and settled before getting a lorikeet. Their dietary needs are so specialized that I could not in good conscience recommend one to someone without a lot of bird experience. Also, the cage you picked his bar spacing of 1 3/8 which is far too large for either of the lorikeets you mentioned.
My dream bird was always an eclectus, and I waited more than 20 years to get one until I was in a place to know I could take proper care of one with their specialized diets. Sometimes it's better to wait and keep researching before jumping in, and the excitement when you feel you are finally ready is amazing:)

OP
Zoruace

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
I would honestly recommend waiting until you are out of school and settled before getting a lorikeet. Their dietary needs are so specialized that I could not in good conscience recommend one to someone without a lot of bird experience. Also, the cage you picked his bar spacing of 1 3/8 which is far too large for either of the lorikeets you mentioned.
My dream bird was always an eclectus, and I waited more than 20 years to get one until I was in a place to know I could take proper care of one with their specialized diets. Sometimes it's better to wait and keep researching before jumping in, and the excitement when you feel you are finally ready is amazing:)
oh about the space bars i thought ill buy netting and surround the cage in it and i thought i might wait till school ends but just wanted to prepare the stuff
my brother is an experinced lori and lorikeet owner most of his birds are lorikeets i will turn to him if i needed help with (maybe soon to be) mine

Last edited:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
oh about the space bars i thought ill buy netting and surround the cage in it and i thought i might wait till school ends but just wanted to prepare the stuff
my brother is an experinced lori and lorikeet owner most of his birds are lorikeets i will turn to him if i needed help with (maybe soon to be) mine

You cannot simply “buy netting and surround the cage in it” – your bird will either bite straight through it or become entangled in it, possibly fatally! If your brother is an experienced lorikeet owner he should have told you that. You will need to buy a cage with closer bar spacing, which is more like 1 inch (25mm) for a rainbow, or 5/8 inch (16mm) for any smaller species. I hope your brother is also well aware of the often very aggressive behavioural issues that are characteristic of lorikeets when they reach sexual maturity too. I would also be most concerned about the welfare of your cockatiel who already appears to have health issues – with lorikeets’ aggression they can easily harm a more docile bird like a cockatiel. I think you would be much wiser to follow Terry57’s advice that she has given you and wait before you go ahead with adding a lorikeet to your household.

OP
Zoruace

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
You cannot simply “buy netting and surround the cage in it” – your bird will either bite straight through it or become entangled in it, possibly fatally! If your brother is an experienced lorikeet owner he should have told you that. You will need to buy a cage with closer bar spacing, which is more like 1 inch (25mm) for a rainbow, or 5/8 inch (16mm) for any smaller species. I hope your brother is also well aware of the often very aggressive behavioural issues that are characteristic of lorikeets when they reach sexual maturity too. I would also be most concerned about the welfare of your cockatiel who already appears to have health issues – with lorikeets’ aggression they can easily harm a more docile bird like a cockatiel. I think you would be much wiser to follow Terry57’s advice that she has given you and wait before you go ahead with adding a lorikeet to your household.
my brother had warned me about the space bars but knowing me i didnt listen i will wait a couple of years before possibly getting a lorikeet and i am aware of thier aggressive behavioural issues if i do entroduce a lorikeet to my tiel they will be very supervised and will never be left alone outogether

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
my brother had warned me about the space bars but knowing me i didnt listen i will wait a couple of years before possibly getting a lorikeet and i am aware of thier aggressive behavioural issues if i do entroduce a lorikeet to my tiel they will be very supervised and will never be left alone outogether

I sincerely hope that you do wait, Tikitiel. As much as I love her, with my hand on my heart I can honestly say that I am constantly telling people what a terrible bird my lorikeet is and that I would not recommend her to anyone as a pet, most certainly not to a novice or a child. Like Terry, I urge you to wait until you are more mature and better able to cope with a high maintenance and demanding bird such as this – your “future lorikeet” will thank you for it.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
LaManuka already spoke about the idea of using mesh, but I am interested in your brother's lories/lorikeets. What species does he have? I'd love to see pictures!

OP
Zoruace

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
LaManuka already spoke about the idea of using mesh, but I am interested in your brother's lories/lorikeets. What species does he have? I'd love to see pictures!
he has 4 lorikeets and 2 loris
sorry for the late reply i got busy with school
He has
Spritzee - 17 year rainbow lorikeet she is the sweetest bird i have ever seen (not very sweet in hormonal season)
and Milo -the other rainbow he is 2 years old
Kiko- a 16 month black winged lorikeet
Very sweet as well
Monty- also another 16 months old scaley breasted lorikeet
His lories
Nightwing- 4 year old black lory very loving and entertaining
And finally
Nugget- 26 year old red and blue lory
Slightly aggressive and very impatient but she is loved just as much as the other guys

Last edited:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
That sounds like a beautiful flock:)

ennovy

May 15, 2019
Hey sorry for the late response.
I am no expert at all about lorikeets but I just also wanted to recommend waiting a bit.
I have two rainbows that hate each other. They can not be left outside the cages together ever. Not even supervised, they would kill each other so fast I could not intervene in time. one would end up dead. If you leave your cockatiel with a rainbow , chances are he will get seriously injured. If you start a job or university you might not have the time to take good care of them. After all, you also probably have a social live. Also finding an apartment with them is difficult, they are too noisy for most landlords. I worked 8 hours and then spent 2.5 hours with each bird. After that not much time is left for other things. The 2.5 hours are not enough and I am already neglecting them.

Hope yo have a nice day and please excuse my bad English :)

OP
Zoruace

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
Hey sorry for the late response.
I am no expert at all about lorikeets but I just also wanted to recommend waiting a bit.
I have two rainbows that hate each other. They can not be left outside the cages together ever. Not even supervised, they would kill each other so fast I could not intervene in time. one would end up dead. If you leave your cockatiel with a rainbow , chances are he will get seriously injured. If you start a job or university you might not have the time to take good care of them. After all, you also probably have a social live. Also finding an apartment with them is difficult, they are too noisy for most landlords. I worked 8 hours and then spent 2.5 hours with each bird. After that not much time is left for other things. The 2.5 hours are not enough and I am already neglecting them.

Hope yo have a nice day and please excuse my bad English :)
your english is excellent
i will wait for sure
my tiel enjoys lorikeets actually
i took her to my brothers house once and she had the time of her life with his lorikeets (they were VERY VERY SUPERVISED the bigger lorikeets where in leashes thats how careful we were)
again i wouldnt get one in the next 5 years at the least i did more researchand my lord they are a handful

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
your english is excellent
i will wait for sure
my tiel enjoys lorikeets actually
i took her to my brothers house once and she had the time of her life with his lorikeets (they were VERY VERY SUPERVISED the bigger lorikeets where in leashes thats how careful we were)
again i wouldnt get one in the next 5 years at the least i did more researchand my lord they are a handful
I don't think the issue is if your tiel will enjoy the Lorikeet, but vice versa. Just like I'm not afraod if my conure and budgie will like the senegal, but if the sennie won't try to kill them if they get too close. The budgie already lost 2 toes because of that.

OP
Zoruace

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
I don't think the issue is if your tiel will enjoy the Lorikeet, but vice versa. Just like I'm not afraod if my conure and budgie will like the senegal, but if the sennie won't try to kill them if they get too close. The budgie already lost 2 toes because of that.
yes i am aware of that the lorikeet can kill my tiel easily i just think it wont be likley
and if i do try to get one ill bring tiki along to help pick one and make sure both have intrest in each other (not in an aggresive way tho)

Most Reactions

Latest posts