Galah Changing Colour

muzz

Apr 1, 2022
Parrots
Galah
Hi All,
I am new to this site. I have just started looking after a Galah which previously belonged to my father for the last 30 years. He has become very possessive of me and gets quite aggressive with my husband if we are both in the room together. My question is not about this issue. In the last week or so, I have noticed that his chest feathers have turned considerably darker in colour. It started in a small area and over about 7 days has spread to his entire front. The darker colour change stops at the top of his chest and his head has remained the same dusty pink colour it has always been. Can anyone tell me why this has happened?

Attachments

• Sydney.jpg
    Sydney.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 106

tacocaTEclectus

Mar 22, 2022
Parrots
tacocaT the Eclectus hatched 9/16/22
Hi All,
I am new to this site. I have just started looking after a Galah which previously belonged to my father for the last 30 years. He has become very possessive of me and gets quite aggressive with my husband if we are both in the room together. My question is not about this issue. In the last week or so, I have noticed that his chest feathers have turned considerably darker in colour. It started in a small area and over about 7 days has spread to his entire front. The darker colour change stops at the top of his chest and his head has remained the same dusty pink colour it has always been. Can anyone tell me why this has happened?
Hi muzz, I do not have a galah so I can’t really help you, this may be a question for an avian vet. Hopefully my comment will bump this post and get you some more visibility! I know in Eclectus parrots getting darker feathers or darker bands on the feathers can be stress bars. Is it possible he molted during a rough transition and it’s indicating stress or health?

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Welcome to the forums @
If he is molting and replaced feathers, sbd i do see some pins. Then richer color would be good, indicated health and brighter feathers. Otherwise I'm not sure

But he is very overweight , that can cause fatty liver. This species is prone to chunking up. But you have to be very careful with weightloss plan. Too quick is very hard on liver. I recommend getting a kitchen scale to track weight in grams. I recommend checking in with avian veterinarian. Don't quote me on but I think 1% body mass loss a week is ok on a diet plan...but I'm just not 100% on that. Best discussion with vet.

Most Reactions