Galah Cockatoo - Dry Skin and Itching

Fuse929

Feb 10, 2020
Hello. Our Galah Bowie is aggressively itching his chest. Not his entire body, just his upper chestā€¦ā€¦ā€¦not behavior heā€™s ever shown. We put him in a towel and took some pictures, and his chest looks to be incredibly dry and flakey, but also some signs of pin feathers and blood feathers coming in in the areas that seems to be bothering him the most. Our house is 50-55% humidity so I donā€™t think that is the problem. I also took a picture of the paper at bottom of his cage, which I switched out last night, and you can see all the dandruff from him itching just in the last 14 hours. Last week he pulled out all of the white ā€œfloofyā€ feathers, which was also a bit out of character for him, though he hasnā€™t been pulling out or destroying any of the pink feathers. We have hepa filters through the house, so I don't think it would be an airborne allergen.

We took him to the avian vet last week who told us that he is healthy, but prescribed a supplement for dry skin. That said, does anyone have additional insight into what may be going on? Is it normal to have this level of dryness and discomfort just from a few pin feathers and molting? He seems very uncomfortable. Weā€™ve been giving him baths daily with a "bird bath" spray from a local parrot store that includes water, menthol, methyl salicylate, thymol and witch hazelā€¦ā€¦ā€¦could this be causing the skin dryness? Is there a better spray with Aloe or something that would help? He seems to get comfort for at least an hour after a bath.

His diet is approximately 50% Zupreem, 20% Harrison, 20% sweet potatoes/brocoli and 10% nuts/seeds as foraging treats.

Any insight is welcome!

Attachments

• IMG_5086.jpeg
    IMG_5086.jpeg
    153.7 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_5083.jpeg
    IMG_5083.jpeg
    162.7 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_5084.jpeg
    IMG_5084.jpeg
    121.7 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_5085.jpeg
    IMG_5085.jpeg
    166.8 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_5087.jpeg
    IMG_5087.jpeg
    276.8 KB · Views: 89

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Galahs are so pretty! They are my dream bird.

Iā€™m wondering if he has an allergy to something. Has his food changed recently? Has he eaten a new vegetable? What about seasonal pollens? I donā€™t know if you are not in Australia if foreign pollens would be more allergenic to him? Could your vet assess him for allergies or give something to treat this?

Most Reactions

Latest posts