Galah needs urgent help

rubyslanding

Aug 13, 2021
Parrots
Galah cockatoo; two green cheek conures; one budgie; one cockatiel; and one EU dove
I have a 25 year old rose-breasted cockatoo named Ruby. I've had her since she was 18 months old. I took her a person to get her toenails clipped, yesterday, and found out she has some kind of infection, possibly yeast on both feet. One is worse than another. I live in a rural area without transportation and with limited care for birds. There is one place that will see birds for non-emergency situations. Luckily, I have a friend with connections who knows a retired veterinarian who can, and will, treat cockatoos. That person will see Ruby the 30th of August. That's the soonest available appointment, but I'm also on the cancelation list in case something comes up before then.

I'm looking for advice to keep this infection at bay until my Ruby can be seen and treated. In the research I've done, I believe Ruby has bumble foot. I'm not sure if she's overweight, although it's likely because she hasn't been as physically active as she used to be. She's not lethargic or anything like that. She eats well and doesn't have any visible changes in droppings. I have used Neosporin spray with pain relief on her foot about three times in 2 weeks (which is when I noticed one foot was slightly raw). I've padded her perches with foam and a sports bandage. She is not chewing on them, but even if she did, I know she won't swallow any of it because she's had foam toys before under supervision.

I read that hydrogen peroxide can kill yeast infections as well as some viruses and bacteria. Can it be used as a wound cleaner on a cockatoo? I know peroxide breaks down into water pretty quickly, so it seems like it would be safe to use. If not, I plan to use Saline, at least, to clean her wounds daily. I also have a Chlorhexidine gluconate antiseptic and antifungal spray in my pet first aid kit. Is this a better alternative (or addition) to peroxide and/or Saline? Additionally, I have an antibiotic: Tylan (powdered) from when a different bird was sick. Obviously, idk if she has a fungal infection, virus or bacterial infection. But, from what I read about bumble foot, it tends to be bacterial. So, should I start giving her the oral antibiotic until her appointment? Or just clean out the wound? And, can I safely use Neosporin at least once a day after cleansing her wound?

Any help or advice would be appreciated. I do NOT want this to get any worse than it is. Oh, and from pictures and written descriptions of bumble foot, it looks like she is at stage 2. Two weeks ago, it was at stage 1 because the worst of her two feet was raw without any cuts. She now has lesions on both feet and a little swelling. I simply want to prevent this from progression until she's seen.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to you and Ruby, she absolutely requires diagnostic skills of avian vet. That said, I understand your well stated constraints and desire to triage pending Aug 30 appointment. I have no experience managing bumblefoot, can you post images so members with knowledge may share anecdotal advice?

I believe the topical potions listed are safe for external use but am leery of oral antibiotics pending diagnosis. Might retired vet be available for earlier interim telephone/email/Skype consultation for temporary guidance?

Deeper background, galahs highly susceptible to fatty liver disease. (FLD) Not suggesting Ruby is afflicted but a general health check may validate or clear what becomes a systemic threat.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
I got you here!

when I adopted my eclectus, it turned out he had a yeast infection underneath his wing. The doctor prescribed Acidfood Skin Soother spray with a bit of vinegar added to the bottle (I think it was a couple tablespoons added of apple cider vinegar). Spray once a day for a week I believe it was. Cleared the yeast infection right up.

I agree 100000% with my friend above, start with an avian vet check up. but if an avian vet isn’t a possibility, I would definitely recommend starting with this soother spray/vinegar recommendation.

SoberParrots

Aug 15, 2021
North Carolina
Parrots
lineolated parakeet, Bipper
I have a 25 year old rose-breasted cockatoo named Ruby. I've had her since she was 18 months old. I took her a person to get her toenails clipped, yesterday, and found out she has some kind of infection, possibly yeast on both feet. One is worse than another. I live in a rural area without transportation and with limited care for birds. There is one place that will see birds for non-emergency situations. Luckily, I have a friend with connections who knows a retired veterinarian who can, and will, treat cockatoos. That person will see Ruby the 30th of August. That's the soonest available appointment, but I'm also on the cancelation list in case something comes up before then.

I'm looking for advice to keep this infection at bay until my Ruby can be seen and treated. In the research I've done, I believe Ruby has bumble foot. I'm not sure if she's overweight, although it's likely because she hasn't been as physically active as she used to be. She's not lethargic or anything like that. She eats well and doesn't have any visible changes in droppings. I have used Neosporin spray with pain relief on her foot about three times in 2 weeks (which is when I noticed one foot was slightly raw). I've padded her perches with foam and a sports bandage. She is not chewing on them, but even if she did, I know she won't swallow any of it because she's had foam toys before under supervision.

I read that hydrogen peroxide can kill yeast infections as well as some viruses and bacteria. Can it be used as a wound cleaner on a cockatoo? I know peroxide breaks down into water pretty quickly, so it seems like it would be safe to use. If not, I plan to use Saline, at least, to clean her wounds daily. I also have a Chlorhexidine gluconate antiseptic and antifungal spray in my pet first aid kit. Is this a better alternative (or addition) to peroxide and/or Saline? Additionally, I have an antibiotic: Tylan (powdered) from when a different bird was sick. Obviously, idk if she has a fungal infection, virus or bacterial infection. But, from what I read about bumble foot, it tends to be bacterial. So, should I start giving her the oral antibiotic until her appointment? Or just clean out the wound? And, can I safely use Neosporin at least once a day after cleansing her wound?

Any help or advice would be appreciated. I do NOT want this to get any worse than it is. Oh, and from pictures and written descriptions of bumble foot, it looks like she is at stage 2. Two weeks ago, it was at stage 1 because the worst of her two feet was raw without any cuts. She now has lesions on both feet and a little swelling. I simply want to prevent this from progression until she's seen.
Hi! I recommend not putting anything on it until the vet sees the infection. But a vinegar spray should do something to help. Hope your baby recovers!! Sending good luck!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts