so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
This may be a bit political but I got to do it.

I don’t know where they com up with this stuff.
But I have heard/read in the news how natural gas stoves need to be banned because they emit “toxic fumes even when not n use”
and cause “childhood asthma “.

If they are that toxic how did my birds ever survive 30+ years in a house and before that an apartment

Back in H.S. My mothers apartment had electric stove and I hated using it.
natural gas is much more adjustable and you have a better feel for what you are doing when you can see the flame.
Mankind has been cooking with fire for a very long time.
a very long time.

Birds lover from Hawaii

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 8, 2021
Media
Honolulu Hawaii
Parrots
Senegal (RIP: 5/21/94-10/20/21)
This may be a bit political but I got to do it.

I don’t know where they com up with this stuff.
But I have heard/read in the news how natural gas stoves need to be banned because they emit “toxic fumes even when not n use”
and cause “childhood asthma “.

If they are that toxic how did my birds ever survive 30+ years in a house and before that an apartment

Back in H.S. My mothers apartment had electric stove and I hated using it.
natural gas is much more adjustable and you have a better feel for what you are doing when you can see the flame.
Mankind has been cooking with fire for a very long time.
a very long time.
I have been using gas for cooking over 40 years and I am still relatively healthy with no asthmatic issues. The theory I read was due to a sudden surge of children getting Asthma after taken the Covid vaccines/boosters, they need to find another source to blame to divert public attention.

Believe it or not really up to you! Just for a peace of mind, I have started to make sure to turn on the exhaust fan whenever I use the gas even though I am just boiling water and not real cooking.

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I have been using gas for cooking over 40 years and I am still relatively healthy with no asthmatic issues. The theory I read was due to a sudden surge of children getting Asthma after taken the Covid vaccines/boosters, they need to find another source to blame to divert public attention.

Believe it or not really up to you! Just for a peace of mind, I have started to make sure to turn on the exhaust fan whenever I use the gas even though I am just boiling water and not real cooking.
I wish I could get my wife on board with the idea of using the vent fan for all stove cooking.

I can maybe understand complaining about the old stoves that use a pilot light but those things have gone the way of the buggy whip.

Birds lover from Hawaii

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 8, 2021
Media
Honolulu Hawaii
Parrots
Senegal (RIP: 5/21/94-10/20/21)
I wish I could get my wife on board with the idea of using the vent fan for all stove cooking.

I can maybe understand complaining about the old stoves that use a pilot light but those things have gone the way of the buggy whip.
Vent fan with external ducting is best for gas cooking which helps to eliminate all cooking odors. You live in Southern CA at least you can open up all windows and doors during cooking.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I read that kids who live in a place with a gas stove are much more likely to develop asthma than kids who live in a place with an electric stove. The stoves usually leak a little bit of gas and it’s toxic or irritating.

This is not new information; the gas stove-asthma link has been known for years. I think there was some recent change regarding patents or regulations of gas stoves. So now the government has cause to review the manufacture of new gas stoves. That is why it’s come up now.

The gas stove in your home won’t be outlawed. Maybe something will have to change to make newly manufactured stoves not leak ANY gas. Or much much less gas.

I had an older gas stove and it leaked more, to the point that the city gas company came by and locked it out. It did concern me to have my birds around that stove; that was a very old house so plenty of air seems to have gotten out and in the cracks.

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I read that kids who live in a place with a gas stove are much more likely to develop asthma than kids who live in a place with an electric stove. The stoves usually leak a little bit of gas and it’s toxic or irritating.

This is not new information; the gas stove-asthma link has been known for years. I think there was some recent change regarding patents or regulations of gas stoves. So now the government has cause to review the manufacture of new gas stoves. That is why it’s come up now.

The gas stove in your home won’t be outlawed. Maybe something will have to change to make newly manufactured stoves not leak ANY gas. Or much much less gas.

I had an older gas stove and it leaked more, to the point that the city gas company came by and locked it out. It did concern me to have my birds around that stove; that was a very old house so plenty of air seems to have gotten out and in the cracks.

Reality Check: Older Homes with Older gas AND electric stoves can be dangerous if they are not properly maintained. In fact, older homes in general have more issues with water leaks that cause mold and that also leads to health problems. Lets just pile on a bit more regarding older homes and especially those (most) with outdated electrical systems that do not include a second ground /neutral plus over-loaded electrical panels. Fires caused by electrical failures in homes has been on the rise for the last fifty years and now 'they' are pushing a change to electric. And, less we forget, there are those gas hot water heaters and gas dryers while we are at it.

FYI: The vast majority of 'gas leaks' are at the point of connect to the supply system!!

Let us not forget that our Electrical Power Supply Grid is outdated and underpowered and the new age 'green energy' sources are more costly and under preform, plus have greater maintenance costs and shorter operating life. The dirty secret is they are very expensive to recycle.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I have friends with young kids who are seeing articles about this study all over right now. I looked up the study a couple weeks ago and if I remember right, yes there's a measurable increase in asthma risk, but it's like anything else - you have to apply the risk to your own circumstances. There's risk in having carpet, or pets, or even more so living in a large city, for example.

IMO there are tradeoffs for everything at this stage of industrialization, with so many competing factors that it's almost impossible for a regular consumer to keep up if we try to chase what's "best".

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
We have a gas cooktop and hilariously all these articles came up right as my youngest kid got yet another URI.

I grew up with a gas cooktop & my brother had asthma. The article I read basically indicated that often vent hoods don’t ventilate outdoors due to improper installation and don’t do a good enough job of moving the air outside, or that people just don’t use them. I always turn the hood on when cooking on our gas cooktop because duh, it releases gas.

Offgasing from flat pack furniture (think IKEA, although IKEA is way ahead on industry standard for removing formaldehyde from their products) is also bad for you, but no one is blowing a gasket over it (heh). Are gas stoves less safe? Yeah, anything that introduces natural gas and it’s byproducts is inherently bad for your lungs. But I agree with Cotton in that there’s a lot more to it than that.

They can’t ban extant gas cooktops, so no worries on that front. I did see something about maybe giving tax breaks if you swap a gas cooktop for an electric being discussed somewhere.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I think it’s most important to use the hood fan with a gas stove, just as it’s important to use that with ANY stove. Cooking (and burning) things creates different gases and some aren’t good to breathe.

On a related note, I grew up with a wood stove or fireplace used for heat for much of my life. I hear that causes lung damage and asthma, yet many people in the world heat their homes or cook this way. My lungs work pretty well yet I hear wood heat causes more asthma and COPD. Yet wood heating is an important supplement for many people. It’s not just a decoration.

I’m sure my dr would tell me that having a home with a fireplace is a poor goal, but I still would like it. Since I will ALWAYS have birds, I will have to check the draw and leakiness in my home to keep them and me safe.

We need to make REALISTIC choices and reduce the risks that we can. Lots of people like to cook with a flame and, as long as they use good ventilation, what’s the problem? But if their oven is thirty years old (like mine was in a former apartment) with no check of its leakiness, they may well be exposing their families or pets to too much natural gas or burn products. In which case it is NOT good.

Use your brain and make good choices!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
And, with so very many of these 'studies,' they miss very important points and in this 'study' likely the most important point! Air Volume!! And to pile on this point even more: The Rate of Air Exchange!! I understand that it is likely that those doing the study are poorly educated in Common Sense. And, as is so common with such 'studies' they use extreme examples to support their conclusions.

Anyone remember that 'study' that stated that microwave popcorn would kill you, or something like that?? When that 'study' was reviewed, it was found that no one could eat the amount of popcorn during their entire life to have an effect. Then there was Coffee, Soda, Wine, Beer, Milk, Chocolate, and on, and on, and on!!

Loved the example of wood stoves, above!!

We have a new design home with all the new technologies to save energy, exchange air, ADA Compliant, and many more things, I am likely missing several things. I am positive that the 'study' was conducted in a lab and not a home or apartment or was little more than a survey conducted by some Grad Student for their doctoral.

Junk Science continues to be used to scare people and is used by government to push agendas!!

Niner10Tango

Nov 10, 2012
Media
SE Michigan
Parrots
Tango a White Faced Pied Cockatiel
And, with so very many of these 'studies,' they miss very important points and in this 'study' likely the most important point! Air Volume!! And to pile on this point even more: The Rate of Air Exchange!! I understand that it is likely that those doing the study are poorly educated in Common Sense. And, as is so common with such 'studies' they use extreme examples to support their conclusions.

Anyone remember that 'study' that stated that microwave popcorn would kill you, or something like that?? When that 'study' was reviewed, it was found that no one could eat the amount of popcorn during their entire life to have an effect. Then there was Coffee, Soda, Wine, Beer, Milk, Chocolate, and on, and on, and on!!

Loved the example of wood stoves, above!!

We have a new design home with all the new technologies to save energy, exchange air, ADA Compliant, and many more things, I am likely missing several things. I am positive that the 'study' was conducted in a lab and not a home or apartment or was little more than a survey conducted by some Grad Student for their doctoral.

Junk Science continues to be used to scare people and is used by government to push agendas!!
I remember that chatter about the microwave popcorn study. I am in total agreement with you in regards to this as being junk science by the government to push their agendas. My thought too was this is the best way to increase sales on new gas stoves. I have a gas stove now and I had an electric in the past. I just find the gas is more efficient than electricity. My gas stove is about 5 years old. We upgraded our appliances when the kitchen was remodeled. I grew up in a home in with 2 smoking parents, gas stove, gas forced heat, gas hot water tank and a gas clothes dryer and leaded gasoline in my parents 65 and 72 Pontiac Catalina's. I just find it strange that myself or my siblings never were diagnosed with asthma.

Another great point you made is air volume. When these articles are written, it seems like they give you the condensed or cliff notes version of the study. The information shared is enough to scare some people, however, sometimes it doesn't deliver how they reach the conclusion.

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
First, don’t get your science from the news. Always check with expert sources. Second, you know the saying “Familiarity breeds contempt”? Living in close proximity to gas appliances for long periods of time without noticing any sudden or dramatic effects can lead to thinking that they are harmless. They are nor, but risks can be controlled.

First, natural gas contains mostly methane, a potent greenhouse gas, but also according to Harvard researchers:
“Consumer-grade natural gas supplied to Massachusetts contains varying levels of at least 21 different hazardous air pollutants … including benzene, toluene, ethylbenzene, xylene, and hexane.”

Most of these will be burned up. Some toxic byproducts, mostly nitrogen oxide compounds, are created and these can rapidly build up to levels known to harm humans. Also, the gas is under pressure and gas lines tend to form leaks over time. That’s why the reports say the risk exists even when the appliance isn’t being used. When is the last time you used leak-detecting fluid to check every connection in the gas lines connecting your appliances and furnaces?

In a town near where I live, several households suffered gas poisoning over the holiday - their utility company had switched to a cheaper, lower quality gas (though they deny any connection). These were older homes and gas connections degrade with time. This is why it’s important to have enough working carbon monoxide detectors in your home.

There‘s nothing political about this. Checking for gas leaks - there are instructions and videos online and your utility company can help - is cheap and easy. Tightening connections to stop leaks is also cheap and easy. Using a range hood that vents to the outside is great. Deciding that it’s too much trouble to worry about something invisible is also an option. It’s a free country. I know lots of people who smoke, drink too much, and live on fast food. Once you know the science you are free to do what you want. But at least knowing means you have the option to check your pipes for leaks and take what precautions seem best.

Propane, by the way, doesn’t seem to bear the same health risks. Sometimes it’s good to be off the grid! Still have to check for leaks on schedule.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
We have Natural Gas at our home and propane at the cabin. Propane has never been my first choice as it does not come under the tight oversight of the National and State Governments, which is both a good thing and a bad thing as costs are based on Market place. Plus for whatever reason it is more prone to leaks.

It is interesting that Propane is used to stabilize methane when drawn from garbage retainment units and sold to near by manufacturing facilities. It cannot be sold for home use because even with propane it varies vastly even thou it is approved as a renewable product. I guess our government believes it is better to level a manufacturing facility than homes. I guess that beings some comfort.

The timing of the release of this study and its being plastered across the News Media, in addition to always playing children as being harmed, does not help its credibility one bit. I am tired of our government's ongoing use of fear to transition energy use to electricity and especially electricity that is provided by solar and wind power, both of which are costly to produce, have very high maintenance demands and a much shorter service life.

Natural gas utilities will 'at no cost' inspect your gas appliances for leaks and may tighten a fitting if special tools are not required.

Last edited:

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
We have Natural Gas at our home and propane at the cabin. Propane has never been my first choice as it does not come under the tight oversight of the National and State Governments, which is both a good thing and a bad thing as costs are based on Market place. Plus for whatever reason it is more prone to leaks.

It is interesting that Propane is used to stabilize methane when drawn from garbage retainment units and sold to near by manufacturing facilities. It cannot be sold for home use because even with propane it varies vastly even thou it is approved as a renewable product. I guess our government believes it is better to level a manufacturing facility than homes. I guess that beings some comfort.

The timing of the release of this study and its being plastered across the News Media, in addition to always playing children as being harmed, does not help its credibility one bit. I am tired of our government's ongoing use of fear to transition energy use to electricity and especially electricity that is provided by solar and wing power, both of which are costly to produce, have very high maintenance demands and a much shorter service life.

Natural gas utilities will 'at no cost' inspect your gas appliances for leaks and may tighten a fitting if special tools are not required.
Do you do the leak checks? I never knew about that until recently.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Do you do the leak checks? I never knew about that until recently.
Yes! It is a fairly easy test to conduct and requires very limited tools and knowledge. It can be as simple as using a mix of dish washing soap, water and misting it on the fitting you are concern about. If there is a leak, a bubble will form. Do not shake the spray bottle as it will cause it to bubble prior to use.
The professionals use a specific premix that can be purchased at a hardware store or from your local plumber.

Last edited:
OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Checking gas lines that are freely accessible is a sensible idea.
But…. Moving stoves and clothes dryers to check for leaks….
Those appliances normally have flexible pipe and the more often they get moved the more likely they are to break and leak causing more problems than you are preventing.
Or so it seems to me.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
We had the utility company come out for a leak once; they mix chemicals that smell into the gas lines so you can tell quickly. Thankfully it was just that the guy who’d worked on the dryer didn’t hook up the vent hose and not a true leak.

You can purchase natural gas detectors that detect unsafe levels & plug into a wall socket! We have one right next to our hot water heater, as it is located in a closet in Kirby’s room. We plan on eventually replacing it with an outdoor tankless hot water heater so that I don’t need to worry about it anymore! We had hoped to do it this year but we had an emergency bathroom remodel and it’s not in the budget for now.

Most Reactions

Latest posts