GCC partner choices

Ratsratsrats

Feb 21, 2021
Soon to be NC!
Parrots
Currently, none
I've woken up at 2 a.m., I've been awake for 2 hours. I recently went to a bird shop to get nuts and seeds as treats for my rats and met the sweetest galah, I'm not very compatible with cockatoos though.
I woke up and can stop thinking about her and after I decided I wasn't compatible I started thinking about green-cheek conures which I've been wanting since I was little. if I get one green cheek conure I'd want to get another as a partner.
I was wondering if I should partner same sex or opposite sex.
I know females can develop egg laying problems and I believe I'm equipped to handle that. If I partner opposite sexes together I know that I'll end up with fertilized eggs, and though you might not agree with me I'm willing to hollow out the egg to prevent ending up with a third conure.
I'm not sure having two male conures would cause problems or not.

A totally different question and problem, to clip their wings or not to clip their wings? I kind of want a flight train them, but then I feel like I'd be tempted to take them outside without a harness. I'm very impulsive.

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Hi good morning !! I woke in the middle if the night as well.

I'm pro flight. But if you think the safety of your bird would be at risk. Then I can understand clipping. A GCC would be taken by a hawk or predators very quickly.

I think same sex might be better. I had 2 girls. But there isn't a guarantee they can share a cage or won't fight. Mine shared a cage most of the time, but sometimes Ta-dah would be a bully and I had to have a second cage.

GALAH , are neat and so pretty. We have a member ir two here thst hsve one. I think Tman has one. Maybe your talk with him and see if msybe it would work for you.

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Before you even think about taking a GCC outside, flighted or not, you need to know what raptor birds are in your area. a large parrot like a macaw is not going to be in much danger from a small raptor but a GCC is so small they would be in danger from just about any hawk. In my area hawks are very uncommon, or non existent, so I am not too worried, but Salty is always in a harness. Free flying a parrot outside will always have an element of danger. We have heard from one of our most senior members about how his Scarlet macaw got spooked during a flight, and she flew off, never to be found again. And they had been free flying for many years! Just something to think about before you go ahead.

OP
R

Ratsratsrats

Feb 21, 2021
Soon to be NC!
Parrots
Currently, none
Before you even think about taking a GCC outside, flighted or not, you need to know what raptor birds are in your area. a large parrot like a macaw is not going to be in much danger from a small raptor but a GCC is so small they would be in danger from just about any hawk. In my area hawks are very uncommon, or non existent, so I am not too worried, but Salty is always in a harness. Free flying a parrot outside will always have an element of danger. We have heard from one of our most senior members about how his Scarlet macaw got spooked during a flight, and she flew off, never to be found again. And they had been free flying for many years! Just something to think about before you go ahead.

I do live in an area with a lot of raptors, and a lot of bursts of wind. I live in a desert valley. I might flight train for indoors.... Take them out on harnesses.

Now I suppose I need to figure out what gender I want. I heard there's no behavior differences between males and females in conures, unlike cockatiels. But I haven't heard too much.

Most Reactions