GCC questions.

oscarrr367

Jul 30, 2021
Hello, I'm a new GCC owner. My GCC, kiwi, is 13 weeks old I got her when she was 9 weeks. 1. Which toys should I buy her? 2. Will she start making a lot more noise as she grows, she makes noise when I get away from her (she tries looking for me). Finally, 3. Is it normal for her not to grab fruit and vegies with her feet yet?:orange:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Is she fully weaned onto solid foods? Ethical breeders do not put up for sale baby parrots that are not fully weaned. Too much can go wrong weaning onto solid foods, too much to list here. Its just greed that drives this as the breeder realizes his profits sooner , with less work, and the chance the baby will die, and the buyer will be back for a new baby. It's disgusting buiness approach. If possible take the baby back to the breeder and have him fully weaned onto solid foods for at least 2 weeks before accepting delivery. If not possible , read, read, read. We have a whole thread devoted to this on one of the sub forums titled So you bought an unweaned baby. Read it, several times and the responses.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to you and Kiwi, thanks for joining our family!!

1- Best to introduce a variety of toys, Kiwi will gravitate to one or more favorites. Many parrots love shredding wood, others enjoy hard plastic toys or manipulating movable puzzle-type items.

2- Healthy conures absolutely make noises, ranging from gentle peeps, cooing sounds to high decibel screams.

3- Kiwi was almost certainly unweaned when acquired. Please read linked thread - not everything applies but you will likely find excellent suggestions. May be necessary to provide supplemental nourishment with baby bird formulae. In Kiwi's case it need not be literally tube feeding, rather given with ordinary teaspoon or similar. http://www.parrotforums.com/breeding-raising-parrots/74363-so-you-bought-unweaned-baby.html

Most Reactions

Latest posts