GCC’s best friend died. When to get new companion for her?

InkoGreencheek

Feb 24, 2022
Parrots
Green cheek conure
My pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Inko, passed away last night from an accidental injury. He was about a year old. His best friend, Suika, was a little younger than him and they had just started acting like mates might, flirting-wise. Not quite all the way there because they’re both so young but they were getting there. I only had these two birds, which means that Suika doesn’t have any bird friends anymore. I school at home, which means I can always be there for her, but it must be healthier for her to have someone like her around. I know of another male GCC that needs a new home and he’s exactly Suika’s age, he’s very happy and friendly and I think he would be a good friend to her, but the question is when I should bring him home. Surely her best friend disappearing then suddenly a scary new bird showing up would distress her more than necessary? I read online that you should get a companion as soon as possible, but that seems like that’s to make sure the lone bird isn’t lonely, which won’t be as big a deal because I can stay at home all day. I’m not gone the six to eight hours most people are. When should I bring the new bird home? Also, is there anything I can do for Suika to help her mourn or realize he’s not coming back? She didn’t see him injured, nor did she hear him cry. She has no idea what happened (Attached picture of the deceased Inko preening while Suika sticks her face under his wing and falls asleep)

Attachments

• F3068F66-7A2A-438E-8761-DE5B07C51D7B.jpeg
    F3068F66-7A2A-438E-8761-DE5B07C51D7B.jpeg
    403.9 KB · Views: 52

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
First, I'm so sorry for your loss of Inko.
My GCC lost his best friend a few years ago, and he was inconsolable. He called for him all the time, until after a few weeks when he stopped calling for him as much.
We were thinking of getting him a GCC friend, but he made friends with our tiel.

If both of yours were young, the transition may be easier to a new friend. I'm assuming you will quarantine, so that would give her 30 more days to heal.

I do need to mention that they may not get along. If not, it can still be done by having them out at different times. I do think that they benefit from having another bird around, especially if they are used to one.

Most Reactions

Latest posts