Gender and nesting questions.

Raz

Feb 19, 2022
Parrots
Two Jendays conures!
These are my jenday conures , they’ve already bonded and im pretty sure ones a male and the other a female based on tail length and head shape, in addition to being adults from the colorings.
Can anyone confirm this and give me tips on how to make them a nest that doesn’t require wood? I’d appreciate it!!

Attachments

• 5E1AC179-A094-4D93-9C59-D6C71614AA3D.jpeg
    5E1AC179-A094-4D93-9C59-D6C71614AA3D.jpeg
    224.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 8337958D-EEBC-4DA3-B156-C05A018A8B82.jpeg
    8337958D-EEBC-4DA3-B156-C05A018A8B82.jpeg
    254.4 KB · Views: 73

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
Well i cant confirm but you can buy a nest box online or make it yourself with popsicle sticks but of course, your conures can destroy so get a random bucket that your conures can not destroy and add paper shredding's or cat litter in

Reactions: Raz
OP
Raz

Raz

Feb 19, 2022
Parrots
Two Jendays conures!
Well i cant confirm but you can buy a nest box online or make it yourself with popsicle sticks but of course, your conures can destroy so get a random bucket that your conures can not destroy and add paper shredding's or cat litter in
Omg thank you so much! I’ve got a whole lot of popsicle sticks around and I’ll use that

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
2 female budgies i have a green named tofu she is 1 years old(she turned one years old in April) and i have a blue budgie named sky she is the younger one she is younger then tofu by a few days
Omg thank you so much! I’ve got a whole lot of popsicle sticks around and I’ll use that
your welcome and its my pleasure

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
You can't say their gender without DNA test. Any differences never make you sure

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Please don't make a nest box! Laying eggs is REALLY risky! Laying eggs takes a lot of energy, nutrients, etc. A nest box out of popsicle sticks isn't stable enough. If you really want to know the genders, have them DNA tested.

I'm sorry @Maroa , but I highly disagree with your advice. While it can work, it both are opposite genders, they might want to breed and breeding can be harmful..

Cat litter.. cat litter isn't really safe, even the natural ones. It can grow mold/fungus very easily, not safe!

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
i understand but disagree with cat litter there is a very good breeder I know who always uses cat litter
most of the time the baby birds be healthy he has had birds for a decade and a year he doesn't actually sell the birds he just gives them the best life the bird room is literally full of activities

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
Please don't make a nest box! Laying eggs is REALLY risky! Laying eggs takes a lot of energy, nutrients, etc. A nest box out of popsicle sticks isn't stable enough. If you really want to know the genders, have them DNA tested.

I'm sorry @Maroa , but I highly disagree with your advice. While it can work, it both are opposite genders, they might want to breed and breeding can be harmful..

Cat litter.. cat litter isn't really safe, even the natural ones. It can grow mold/fungus very easily, not safe!
he rescues lots of sick bird too

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Thanks for understanding, and I agree. But please just add natural cat litter- the artificial ones are very bad

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
yup i totally agree with pip use natural cat litter

MayMaroa

Feb 13, 2022
Putrajaya, Malaysia
Parrots
but breeding is risky too here's a thread before you consider breeding
but definitely do a DNA test

Noahs_Birds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 24, 2019
Toowoomba/Highfields, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Yellow Sided GCC's, Rosa Bourkes Parrots, Full Red Fronted Turqoisine Parrots, Quaker Parrots 'Scomo PM' 'Jenny PM's wife', PLUS: Rare Finches, Doves and Quail
Definitely purchase a wooden nesting box. A pair of Conures would turn popsicle sticks to shavings in a matter of days. Any bonded pair of parrots will readily ‘work’ the nesting box in preparation for laying, which means a lot of chewing so a sturdy wooden box is needed.
Wooden boxes also have insulation properties too, and do not have the risk of fungal diseases occurring like plastic/ PVC and Metal boxes do.
For nesting material I’ve always used a mix of dry organic sugar cane mulch (readily available in Australia) and wood chips. Wood shavings by themselves are the next best option.

OP
Raz

Raz

Feb 19, 2022
Parrots
Two Jendays conures!
but breeding is risky too here's a thread before you consider breeding
but definitely do a DNA test
Thank you!

OP
Raz

Raz

Feb 19, 2022
Parrots
Two Jendays conures!

I have no interest in breeding them! I just want to make them comfy

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I have no interest in breeding them! I just want to make them comfy
If that is the case, nests aren't a good idea. They have the same effect as "tents" do. Hormonal birds can become aggressive, or even start laying eggs(which as I stated can be deadly)

Most Reactions