Aug 31, 2017
USA
Parrots
Rescue Budgie: Snowball (blue/grey)
Normal Budgie: Oliver (yellow/green)
Black Capped Conure: Warbeak
Parrotlet: Lily, Rest In Peace
Canary-Winged Parakeet: Stryker
Alright guys. I recently had a vet visit about two weeks ago for all the fids. I decided to get a gender test for Warbeak since the pet store didn’t actually know if he was really a boy. Well, I finally got the call today. Turns out Warbeak can’t be saying “good boy” any more. He is actually a she. Which honestly makes a lot of sense to me. I had a sneaking suspicion Warbeak might very well be a girl the way she always goes out of her way to fly to men when they’re around (brothers, dad, cousins). Warbeak doesn’t do the same when women are around (my mom, friend, other cousins, aunts, nieces, etc). I’m the only woman Warbeak will fly to. Warbeak will go crazy for me if I’m around, but even though I’m the one taking care of her, she goes crazier when my cousin is around, even though he doesn’t really interact with her at all (he’s not a bird person). She does the same antics she does for me when he’s around, but crazier. She screams for him, will harass him the moment he’s in sight by flying on him, always wants him to give her scritches (she actually doesn’t do this to me, she lets me do it only once in a while). When it’s a decision of be on him or be on me, Warbeak always picks him (much to my jealous displeasure since I’m the bird mommy and he doesn’t even take care of her lol, is it bad that I feel like “second place” now?) Granted this isn’t really a determining factor of gender, but it just gave me the sneaking suspicion he might be a she, thus the gender test. Not that it truly matters whether Warbeak is a he or she, I love that bird to death and she’s not going to act any differently just because she’s not a he. It just helps to know for future reference when those hormones go crazy. I have a feeling Warbeak is going to go crazy on my cousin during those phases. Oy.. almost wish Warbeak were a he in that case, I can deal with the birditude a lot better than he’ll be able to. He’s not going to know what to do lol. I’ll have to walk the “not a bird person” through all the things he needs to know how to do and look out for and not encourage during those phases. That should be fun.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Warbeaketta?
Warbeakerina?
Warbeakette?
Warbeakalina?
Warbeakaletta?

Congratulations, in any event. :)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Well, at least you know!

Honestly, they do not care if they are saying 'Good Boy' or 'Good Girl,' as they are reacting to your response and joining in.

I honestly have never seen a common Girl Parrots prefer male Humans or Boy Parrots prefer girl Humans. What drives that choice is not known to me. Over the years and the many Amazons that have taken over our home there has been no clear choice based on gender. What we target is that we are both activity involved and when the Parrot chooses, we adjust to assure that the odd one out, gets to provide all the goodies. With the goal of not supporting a 'single' person Parrot, but a well socialized Parrot.

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16*

Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17*

Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18*

Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18
http://www.parrotforums.com/conures/67544-molly-boy-cry.html

So yeah...same thing happened to me. However, my husband's gone for work during the week and both my boys are clamoring to get to him as soon as the weekend starts. They ditch me immediately for daddy! For a while anyways haha , I to get jealous but to be fair they see me everyday all day and I figure they miss him. But when it comes down to it and they need comfort, belly scratches, tickles or anything else they come to me always...daddy is just for fun. Maybe that's the same in your case!

OP
A

AkridChaos

Aug 31, 2017
USA
Parrots
Rescue Budgie: Snowball (blue/grey)
Normal Budgie: Oliver (yellow/green)
Black Capped Conure: Warbeak
Parrotlet: Lily, Rest In Peace
Canary-Winged Parakeet: Stryker
@GaleriaGila, to be fair, Warbeak was named after the Sparra Queen from the book (and cartoon) “Redwall” by Brian Jacques. It’s fitting Warbeak turned out to be a girl in this sense lol.

@SailBoat, I thought I read somewhere that a male parrot tends to favor a female human during their hormonal seasons if there isn’t another of their species around, and vice versa with opposite genders.. I know it’s not a set in stone thing, but at the very least, a type of trend. Or is that trend actually just a myth?

@Sunnyclover, oh no! Lol did you have to pick a different name than Molly, or just figured “whatever” and stuck with it? As for your jealousy, at least I’m not alone in those thoughts lol. But at least in your case, daddy interacts with them. In mine, my cousin doesn’t even so much as go to let Warbeak out (or any of the other fids). It’s literally like I live home alone, I went to work, I came back, and let all the fids out before/after work. Yet for some crazy reason my cousin is the favorite of Warbeak, even though next to zero interaction with each other. Makes no sense to me that Warbeak goes so crazy over him. Sigh.. I feel a little betrayed lol.

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16*

Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17*

Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18*

Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18
I renamed him "Ollie". Yeah that's weird that he doesn't have any interaction with Warbeak but she goes straight for him. It's not that common but not totally unheard of for that to happen. Birds like who they like I guess! I can see why it's really kind of hurtful and annoying though.

Most Reactions

Latest posts