General tips on handtaming, conditioning, etc.

jaciesaur

Jan 27, 2018
Saskatchewan, Canada
Parrots
Mozzarella "Mozzie" - Alexandrine
A year ago, I brought in an Alexandrine parakeet. I went to the place where the "breeders" were keeping her, and my heart just BROKE. She was a year old already, and they were still housing her in the same cage as her mom and dad, and the mom was nesting. The poor thing kept trying to go into the nesting box, where she felt safe, and the mom would bite and lunge at her, causing a really stressful environment.
On top of that, in the cage, there were NO toys, only a SINGLE concrete perch-- for three full grown Alex's!
There was NO person-bird interaction aside from some chatting occassionally through the bars, so the birds were not hand tame.

I immediately took the babe home with me, and the other two have since been rehomed as well... but all of my previous experience with birds was with birds that were already hand-tame, so this has been a learning curve for me.

Because of her stressful environment, Mozzarella "Mozzie" came to me with stress bars, irritated feet, and a high white blood cell count.
Since then, the irritated feet have been handled, the white blood count has gone back to normal, and she has moulted a few of her long feathers out and regrown them, and I have seen no evidence of stress bars.

We are, however, slooowly working on hand-taming. She is a VERY anxious bird, and very much cagebound. My husband and I have been able to get her trained to take treats and food from our hands, and she loves to chat and interact with us through the bars, but she is very much defensive of her territory when in her cage, and will often bite or lunge at us if we try to do more than "gentle beak" (we say 'gentle beak' and gently stroke the top of her beak). She will step up onto a dowel, but NOT onto hands.

Because of this, in the past when we have travelled, we have had to use a towel to catch her and get her into her travel cage... which, sadly, has made her very anxious about towelling. This makes trimming her nails, which are VERY sharp, almost impossible to do at home.

In the past week, though, we've made a huge breakthrough! I got her to step up onto the dowel, and gently removed her from her cage. In previous months, she has made accidental escapes and, because she had never been able to practice flight, has done a lot of crashing into walls. It breaks my heart and scares the poop outta me! Recently, though, she has learned that Walls Can't Be Flown Through, and Feet Are Used For Landing, so she has been crashing MUCH less, and gaining control of her movements. I'm so proud!

She DOES, however, breathe very fast through an open mouth, like panting, when she is outside of her cage. I can only assume this is because of anxiety?
She does her best to IMMEDIATELY fly back to her cage, though the concept of the door does not exist to her, so she just lands on the top or side of it.

When outside of the cage, I can get her to step up onto my hands without any biting or lunging (only recently, though), and she still does her best to climb onto my head, find the location of her cage, and take off for it.

ANYWAY, all of this is to say:
Any tips from fellow owners? Tips on beak and nail conditioning would be fantastic... her beak is a bit flaky (though she does a good job of rubbing it on items in her cage and preening on her own), and her nails are very sharp.
Tips on her anxiety and breaking this cagebound habit?

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to the forums, my apologies for a late response! I am not familiar with Alexandrines, so my guidance may not be tailored to Mozzie.

Mozzie did not have an ideal start in life, but you have the opportunity to break the cycle and more closely bond. How long have you had her? There is a "honeymoon" period of two or more weeks, set expectations low and allow her to observe. Based on the WBC count, my guess is there is no significant underlying health factor. Is the vet avian certified?

There are many techniques to earn a bird's trust and become a close companion. A few from the forum:
http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/49144-tips-bonding-building-trust.html
http://www.parrotforums.com/training/60435-clicker-target-training.html
Some of this may seem redundant, but best to consider Mozzie as other than hand-reared and tame.

Cagebound behavior signals uncertainty and anxiety; do you have a portable playpen to use as a comfortable "away station?" Use the dowel to transfer and give treats as reward. Flying is a gift many of us choose to preserve for our fids, but bumping into walls or windows can be harmful or lethal. Some advocate a temporary "light clip" during the acclimation phase. Some species are more adept to confined flying; don't know about Alexandrines.

Is the rapid breathing limited to an anxious situation rather than immediately after flight? If so, you have a visual indicator and can take steps to reduce the stress.

Many owners can comfortably trim nails, but if Mozzie is unwilling, best to have your vet office accommodate - traditionally done by techs.

If you have pics, we'd love to see Mozzie!!

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
That is the sweetest story. You're a hero! That bird is gonna love you so much.
Your avian vdet can trim the nails. Maybe you can learn how.
My solution, for nails and beak...
I really recommend getting those nail-trimming perches... they can eliminate nail-trimming, which was always so stressful for me and the Rb. It took a few years, but I eventually established a pattern/rotation that keeps him trimmed. I haven't had to do his nails in 20-plus years. I keep a dowel as the main "highway" down the middle of the cage, but the special cement/trimmer/textured perches are all over.
A few brands... but there are many: Polly's Sand Walk... Pumice Perch... Trimmer Perch...
Be sure to introduce them gradually: they're abrasive to their tender feet at first. I LOVE them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
These are smooth on top and abrasive underneath. Very easy to install/clean, oo.
Sweet Feet and Beaks Pedicure Perch xsmall for parrots, Feather Fantasy
May take a while to get the right combinations/locations, but was worth it for me and the Rb.
Good luck, and again, good for you, for doing such a great deed. The vision of the little thing trying to get into the nest box choked me up!

Jottlebot

Aug 29, 2012
Shropshire, UK
Parrots
Orange-winged Amazon - RIP Charlie,
Spock - Common Mynah,
McCoy - Alexandrine
Hello, I have a 15 month old Alex, he was parent-reared, I've had him for nearly 12 months. Mozzie's story is heartbreaking! I've had a nosey at her photos, she's a little scruff, but adorable! She looks skinny though, we're they taken when you had her or recently? To be honest, it looks like you're doing really well!! She's interacting with toys with your hands close. Is she taking treats from your hand too?

Have to tried target training? You could use this to get her into another cage for vet trips so now stressful towelling. Generally people use some sort of stick as the target, but if she's nervous of having a stick pointed at her you can use anything.

The breathing sounds like stress, but may also be that she's unfit and out of breath if it follows a flight. Mine did the same, but stopped as his fitness increased.

I'm curious where you took her when she stepped up on the dowel. If you take her away from her cage she's less likely to want to do it because her cage is where she's safe. Could you put her somewhere else in her cage or on top of it so she can climb back in? I would aim for her to be happy on her cage and then try and introduce a playstand perhaps that you can then move gradually further away.

I admit I don't agree with wing clipping and it sounds like she's getting the hang of flying. However, Alexandrines are known to react badly to wing clipping and I think Mozzie would find it particularly traumatising given her experiences before you.

I'm incredibly impressed that you can touch her beak!!! Could you try to use the same approach to get to touch her feet? You could work up to filing her nails? Just gently to take the points off? After this nail trimming perches should keep them less sharp.

Think of her cage as her safe space, she isn't being aggressive for any reason other than it's the only place in the world where she feels safe and to be taken away from it is terrifying. My Alex was the same and I actually started interacting with him when he was on his cage above me, so he felt safe. The first stage is to encourage her to climb out of the cage and be on it, but not in it. Then I think it's just a matter of waiting and making flying to you or somewhere else as appealing as possible - probably food!

Most Reactions

Latest posts