Gentle but dislikes me

ktjewell81

Dec 14, 2021
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
I just recently inherited my brothers Green Cheek Conure ā€˜Dezā€™. My brother passed away and during the few weeks I was in and out of his house she took some time to warm up to me. Bit me hard several times!! A few weeks later she seemed to like me enough to stop the biting but the neighbor who took care of her while my brother would go out of town took her in since they were already familiar with each other. Fast forward to 5 months later and heā€™s too busy with school and work and can no longer give her the attention she deserves so she comes home with me. She really liked me for the first few days. Never bit me and still doesnā€™t. Weā€™ve had her now for almost a month. However, sheā€™s really grown a liking to my husband. She wonā€™t come to me, runs away from me but still never bites me when I can catch her or when taking her in and out of her cage. In fact sheā€™ll let me lay her on her back in my hand and walk around with her. Now when my husband picks her up she bites him very hard! Heā€™ll get her on his shoulder and sheā€™ll take a few bites at his ear. Then sheā€™s fine with him. Her wings are clipped so if sheā€™s on the ground and he calls her sheā€™ll come to him but never me and always runs away from me. I donā€™t get it! Bites him and runs towards him. Never bites me and runs away from me. Is she afraid of me? What can I do to win her trust back!? I donā€™t know if she likes him more because she was with my brother for years and now she has a man again? Help please!
57F8A1C9-07F3-4355-AAF3-E4EC505DC3DC.jpeg

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I'm sorry for your loss.
This little one has had a lot of changes and upsets in life. It just takes time to build up trust and learn to read each other. Actually id say you all are doing very well!

GCC go through rapid mood changes, and are quick to nip. They usually just need you to read them, give them a few seconds to realize you aren't trying to kill them or what not, then are back to being good. My girl would nip me several times a day, except I can read her, give her a chance to calm down and we are back to snuggle and no bites. So I only receive an actual bite once or twice a year, lol, but she threaten to bute daily. She is actually very sweet. Tho if I touch her cage will she us inside she is fast to bite.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to the forums, please accept my deepest condolences for the passing of your brother.

Beautiful bird, lying prone in your hand evidence of contentment!! Dez appears well socialized and may be going through a period of mourning, if not displacement from home. Parrots tend to choose "their people" though capable of interacting with you and your husband. As Laura mentioned above, conures can be moody but are one of aviculture's favorite parrots for good reason! Might benefit from efforts to build trust and a closer bond as discussed here: https://www.parrotforums.com/threads/tips-for-bonding-and-building-trust.49144/

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Scott is right, a bird that lays in your hand like that is wow!
This burds does like you both, and that's special.

Birds can pick up on your hesitancy. You can over stimulate them , to much excitement can lead to a bite, or if they are kept out and don't have a food and water break they can get grouchy. They're need to eat every hour or two. Or like when I first get my gcc out she is so excited she can bite, I have to talk to her and make kiss noises to her, so she can collect herself. She is excited wants to be with me, wants love abd cuddling but just like a toddler gets all wound up.

They can sometimes try to rule with the beak. What often works with these little loves, is shunning. When they bite say no, and move them to the back of the chair, or back to their cage for just a couple if minutes, then get them right back out or they don't make the connection. This only works if they want to be around people, which your shows all the signs it does. If the birds goal was to be left alone then it does not work well.

This is a good article about behavior, towards the bottom talks a little about bites, and screaming behavior

D

Deleted member 42416

Hi, I am so sorry about the loss of your brother.

As other have pointed out you are doing quite well with Dez! GCCs can be hot and cold, jealous, and direct nips at the closest person available (even their favorite) when angry or jealous. Our GCC, Norrie, responds very well to a ā€œsoothing phraseā€ and this immediately gets him out of angry mode. Iā€™ll requote my reply on a previous post:
I created a calming phrase for our GCC, Norrie. ā€œBeak-Beak-Kissā€. I say this while stroking his beak twice and then giving a kiss. He now says ā€œkissā€ on his own after the ā€œbeak-beakā€. Whenever he is agitated (usually jealousy of the other birbies getting affection) this calms him right down.

Incidentally, I related this story to some coworkers. Now, when one gets annoyed with the other, the other smiles and says ā€œbeak-beak-kissā€. Immediately relieves the tension. Also tried on my 15 yo daughter during her hormonal rages, but have had inconsistent results.
CBB85AD3-4290-4CF0-8900-30DEDF810AE1.jpeg

OP
ktjewell81

ktjewell81

Dec 14, 2021
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure
I really appreciate all of you reaching out with help and advice for how to manage this little love we have. Sheā€™s definitely getting so much better. Also thank you all for your condolences, it means a lot ā¤ļø

Most Reactions