Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
There is no easy way to say this... Gertjie passed away. I uncovered her cage this morning, expecting some greetings from her, but in return, I got nothing. Just her cold, dead body at the bottom of the cage.

I don't know how. I don't know why. I am beyond devastated. The short time spent by me was much cherished. Who knew a bird can make their way into your heart so quickly.

Rest in peace, Gertjie...
20221114_103541.jpg

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Oh no Pipp, I'm so sorry, what a terrible shock! Oh this is just so awfully sad, I am so sorry for your loss! 💔 Please accept my deepest condolences - you had so been looking forward to adopting Gertjie, I just can't imagine how hard this is and my heart goes out to you.

Fly free, sweet little Gertjie! We will meet you again at the Rainbow Bridge! 🙏🌈

Last edited:
OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Thanks everyone for the condolences. It's been a very tough day. My brother was just as heartbroken as he got attached to the bird.

sorry for your loss, just went thru the adoption thread for clues. Will you have a necropsy done? The Tail bobbing and stains may have been the clue to the root cause.
I have already buried her. I have decided not to do a necropsy.

Yesterday she displayed very odd behaviour, such as flinging seed out of her bowl, and she was constantly wanting to be with someone. She was just running all over the place. When I was preening her last night, I accidentally pulled out a pin feather, and she didn't react at all. That was very alarming to me...

In the middle of the night, as I was falling asleep, I heard a loud thud at the bottom of her cage. I assumed she jumped down there, like she did earlier. I think that's when she died.

I think a combination of old age, poor diet, and stress caused her to have a heart attack. I will never know for sure.

Her owners got her 2-3 years ago, and she wasn't a baby, so she is probably 4-5 years old.

I'm really not sure. I just hope she went peacefully.

Rozalka

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 23, 2018
Media
Albums
Poland
Parrots
Bourke's parrots, green cheeked conure
My extra thoughts basing only on her type:
- Some people say that in general crested budgies live shorter than others.
- You said somewhere that Gertjie is the smallest budgie you've ever seen. I read an article which explains that too often breeding budgies may cause their offspring being much smaller. I'm not sure how this affects their health but I wouldn't be surprised if they may be less healthy (they are smaller because can't be fully developed)
Of course, I can't say if she really comes from such breeder. More mutated birds also will be smaller, so maybe somehow crest + white (+in general genes) made her so small

These are just my thoughts, maybe something joins to the combination reasons you mentioned

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Gertjie was albino, and albinos usually have poor genes. She was slightly smaller than Snowy, and even snowy is a small budgie.

I really think it's a combination of things...

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Pipp, I'm so sorry to hear this. Gertjie surely knew she was in her forever home, and that she was truly loved for whatever time she had left. That's a beautiful gift that you gave her. Fly free, sweet Gertjie ❤️

Hyacinthmacawlover

Nov 8, 2022
Parrots
Dear parrot lovers. I fell was in the hospital 5 months in a coma for 2 weeks. My brother was taking care of my birds. Daley was 23 years old he died. I had him 23 years. I had a funeral at pet cemet
There is no easy way to say this... Gertjie passed away. I uncovered her cage this morning, expecting some greetings from her, but in return, I got nothing. Just her cold, dead body at the bottom of the cage.

I don't know how. I don't know why. I am beyond devastated. The short time spent by me was much cherished. Who knew a bird can make their way into your heart so quickly.

Rest in peace, Gertjie...
View attachment 45732
I am so sorry about your feather friend.💔😢 Just sent one up for you and her. Hugs,❤️‍🩹🕊️

Most Reactions

Latest posts