Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Ok, so this is as much of a surprise for me as it is for you guys.

My mom's friend came over and mentioned her sister(friend?) needs a home for her bird as they are moving in October. Without hesitation, we said yes!

So, in October before they move, Gertjie will be coming to his new home!

My mom had the opportunity the other day to get two other birds when her brother said someone he knows has to rehome their birds, but she said no, so I told her to tell him about Cheeky Beaks Parrot Rescue so they can get a home too.

I'm sooo excited! When I get a pic, I will share it with you guys. Gertjie is white, with a cute crest! Also, I think "he" is a she because of his brown cere.

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I've got a question. Since the budgie is on its own, do I need to quarantine it? Or not? I'm willing to quarantine if necessary. This is his cage so long:
20220819_135331.jpg

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
He is gorgeous!!! I'm so excited for you, and for Gertjie, who couldn't ask for a better home to go to:)

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Gertjie doesn't know it yet but he (or she) just hit the rehoming jackpot! Congratulations to both of you and I know he will have a wonderful life with you ❤️

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Ok, I have another quarantine question.

I will not be able to properly quarantine her(by that I mean changing clothes, washing hands after each interaction, etc.) In that case, will quarantine work? I may still keep her separate anyway for diet conversion and bonding.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Do the best you can. If Gertjie has seen a vet recently & has never had issues with abnormal blood work etc you might be ok. There is always a risk when introducing a new bird that they’re a carrier of a disease that only rears it’s head when the bird is stressed. Remember that many people do not quarantine and it works out okay; and you are doing a lovely thing by providing a home. It can be a bit anxiety inducing when you can’t use best-practice (like full quarantine), but even just washing hands and keeping the birds in separate air spaces while letting Gertjie acclimate is better than nothing.

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Thanks for the advice. I'll ask my parents if I can have her checked by a vet to make sure she's ok. I'll probably pay by myself because usually my parents don't pay unless there is obvious symptoms of illness.

Washing hands is something I can definitely do. Changing clothes may be a bit too much because people will be around the bird occasionally. I will be keeping her in my brother's room for the first month or so for her to settle in and to check for any signs of illness.

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Off-topic, but my brother suggested I rename Gertjie to Gertjie Rodrigo. I am definitely doing that😂

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Congratulations Gertjie!!! You have won the parrot lottery 🥰🥰🥰 We've all been waiting for this day and I hope you settle in well!

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Little Gertjie is so scared of me. She does angry squeaks when I am near her, and when I tried to do the night routine her owners always do(just cuddling and kissing for a few sec), she bit my finger and my lips, so I put her back.

Sigh. I mean, I understand it. She's in a new environment, her family just left her, and she's surrounded by strange people. I feel so sorry for her. Poor bird.

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Aww Gertjie is already adapting to me! She accepts kisses, and sometimes even allows me pet her head!

I think the reason she acts aggressive when I enter her cage or walk past her, is because she is territorial, since when I take her out of her cage, she is very sweet, but as soon as she returns to her cage, she is a totally different bird. Is there anything I can do about this?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Aww Gertjie is already adapting to me! She accepts kisses, and sometimes even allows me pet her head!

I think the reason she acts aggressive when I enter her cage or walk past her, is because she is territorial, since when I take her out of her cage, she is very sweet, but as soon as she returns to her cage, she is a totally different bird. Is there anything I can do about this?
I would just accept it for the time being and keep in mind that as Gertje relaxes, maybe she won’t need to be so protective of her space.

My Quaker defends his cage from me but I’m the one who brings food, water, toys; and cleans. I was surprised at first but I guess most Quakers are cage protective. It’s not an insult; she just needs to get to know you and trust you. And I thought healthy girl budgies were a bit more bossy than males in general.

I think she’s really neat-looking. I had a canary with a Beatles shag for a few years. Wish I had a photo to show you! She looks like a Christmas ornament.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts