Getting a bird to step up

JimsBrother

Supporting Member
Mar 3, 2022
Parrots
Uncle to Bebee
and Amy
Amy my Blue Front Amazon is due for his vet appointment next week. His daddy, brother Jim, used to get him on a stick and into a plastic cat carrier that we have. I've been trying to get him on a stick but he treats it like a game. One claw on the stick and the other holding onto his cage while he bites and chews the stick. My only physical contact with him is to scritch his head when he asks for it. No way in hell I'm going to ty a towel.

I did manage once to get him up and take a walk with me, a few months ago, but he won't do it again. I can't figure out if he doesn't trust me yet or if he just wants to play.

Is there a trick to this?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Well, looks like you and Amy will be very busy working at step-up on the stick.

If I recall correctly, Jim stated that Amy 'loved' to go for a ride in the car. He would ask Amy if he wanted to go for a ride: "Amy, go for ride, in car" is what I believe was the statement used. Amy was always happy to step-up on the stick and load into the carrier and into the car. If memory serviced, Jim would have Amy out of the carrier during the trip (not recommended at this time). So Amy will likely want to be able to see out the windows, i.e. carrier not covered.
You will likely want to develop this in segments: Step-up on to stick and out of the cage. Next to where the carrier will be and then into the carrier. Lots of praise and treats as part of the process.
FYI, have the Vet load Amy back into the carrier directly after the exam.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Yup. Practicing and drilling step up with treats is the way to go. Maybe even put the cat carrier on a table and give Amy treats for going inside?

In fact, maybe if I practiced step up more, Willow would step up easier from his cage. He retired very early last night. Then again he’d had a long bath and towel dry and it was stormy.

Most Reactions