Getting a cockatiel

Alouette

Mar 31, 2019
Northern Europe
Hello everyone,
For a while now I've been considering getting a pair of cockatiels. I've always wanted a bird and from the research I've done, a cockatiel would be a good match for me.
But, I've never had a bird before, so I'm worried there's something I'm not taking into account.
So, I'm hoping I can get some questions answered here :)

So here are some questions, that have been on my mind:
1. What kind of damage can I expect to my apartment? I've had cats my whole life, so torn wallpaper, scratched furniture and things knocked over come to mind when thinking about pets.

---edit---
I do not have a cat right now, I used to have them. I have no pets at all right now :)

2. How dangerous is teflon really? - Do I have to get rid of everything that has it, or can I be cooking and just have the bird in a different room, with the door closed and window open in the kitchen and the cooker hood on?

3. Are essential oils out too? I have an essential oil burner (put in some water, few drops of essential oil and a tea candle under it, the scent of the oil is released as the water evaporates). Could I still use it from time to time or not?

4. How loud are they at night? I understand cockatiels, can get night frights, but what I'm thinking about is general noise at night. Are they active at all? Do they play with their toys at night or not?

That's all for now, thanks in advance for any answers and any advice for first time bird owners are welcome :)

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2019
Maldives, H.Dh Kulhudhuffushi
Parrots
White-faced 'tiel (Cookie). Pied Budgie (Pepper).
Well I'll get straight to answering your questions

Well, you can expect lots of poop and maybe a few things knocked over. I don't think there'll be any scratched furniture or wallpaper.

Teflon is very dangerous for birds. If heated up enough, it will kill your your bird! I think it'll be okay to cook as long as the bird is in another room with the ventilation on and the doors closed. ( there are still some other things to be careful of)

I don't know about the essential oil but anything like scented candles and such are bad for your bird.

Cockatiel are very quiet at night and barely make a noise. They do sometimes play with their toys but only for a little bit. But mostly they just sleep.

I hope this helps. Other members will be able to give a little bit more insight on this. :)

OP
Alouette

Alouette

Mar 31, 2019
Northern Europe
Ok, tahnks :) I'll probably just get some non teflon cookware, just to be safe.
And I'm prepared for the mess, it's all cleanable :D

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Hello! Much of what I will say to you has been said in this thread. Teflon is very dangerous and it has killed birds through shut doors on separate floors.

Here is the link:
http://www.parrotforums.com/conures/79944-wanting-purchase-my-first-feathered-friend.html
^^^it addresses many of your questions in detail. Please DO read it all because there is a lot that people don't know about Teflon (including alternate names and the places where it is often hidden outside of the kitchen). The last 2 posts in the link (on page one) start to address your questions and the advice/discussion continues from there. It also discusses the risks of noise complaints and birds in apartments etc etc. Apartment living with a bird can be done, but it has its own risks and noise is a very real concern.

Chemical household cleaners and other scented products are out (there are very few safe cleaners for sale over the counter--not all of the "natural" stuff is safe for birds either). Essential oils are dangerous in many cases because they enter into the blood stream when diffused through the air. If a human can inhale lavender and experience medicinal effects, a very small bird can easily over-dose. Then there is just the fact that their lungs are sensitive and highly efficient. The fact of the matter is, that aromatherapy can be harmful to adults if dosing isn't appropriate and it can be more dangerous for children. Knowing this, think about the size of a bird and their respiratory sensitivities, and understand that it is not worth the risk. Some specific oils are deadly to birds because of their poisonous contents, but even the "less risky" varieties are still going to enter their blood-streams and the particles of oil will still pose the potential for irritating their lungs etc.

Although this link was included in the link I posted above, I am posting it here in case you don't read the entire thread. It contains more information on Teflon and birds:https://www.ewg.org/research/canarie...on-kills-birds

Last edited:

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16*

Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17*

Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18*

Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18
I would NOT get a cockatiel if you have cats, especially if you were planning on having it flighted and out of it's cage a lot. That's incredibly dangerous even if the cat is old and docile it might decide one day to give hunting a try so it can mark it off it's bucket list and before you know it your cockatiel is bleeding out on the floor fighting for it's life.

OP
Alouette

Alouette

Mar 31, 2019
Northern Europe
I said I've had cats, in the past, I don't currently own any pets.
Sorry, should have been more clear :)

Last edited:

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16*

Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17*

Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18*

Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18
Oh great! I am so happy to hear that. :)

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
A cockatiel is ideal for your first bird; loads of personality, not large enough to do serious damage to you or the apartment, responds well to training.

Agree with ditching Teflon and related coatings. Even hair dryers and other innocuous objects contain the deadly non-stick coatings.

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
2 umbrella Cockatoos One male named Cooper and female named Baby 1 Little Corella male named Frankie and have 5 Cockatiels three named Male named Pepper, Fiesco for the female and female named Wylie.
Hello everyone,
For a while now I've been considering getting a pair of cockatiels. I've always wanted a bird and from the research I've done, a cockatiel would be a good match for me.
But, I've never had a bird before, so I'm worried there's something I'm not taking into account.
So, I'm hoping I can get some questions answered here :)

So here are some questions, that have been on my mind:
1. What kind of damage can I expect to my apartment? I've had cats my whole life, so torn wallpaper, scratched furniture and things knocked over come to mind when thinking about pets.

2. How dangerous is teflon really? - Do I have to get rid of everything that has it, or can I be cooking and just have the bird in a different room, with the door closed and window open in the kitchen and the cooker hood on?

3. Are essential oils out too? I have an essential oil burner (put in some water, few drops of essential oil and a tea candle under it, the scent of the oil is released as the water evaporates). Could I still use it from time to time or not?

4. How loud are they at night? I understand cockatiels, can get night frights, but what I'm thinking about is general noise at night. Are they active at all? Do they play with their toys at night or not?

That's all for now, thanks in advance for any answers and any advice for first time bird owners are welcome :)

1. Teflon is a huge no, you also have to avoid appliances, heaters and blower dryers with Teflon as well. Best to look up model, or call manufacturer to make sure no Teflon coating is used. As far as cookware use stainless steel, or ceramic cookware.

2. Essential oils are out too due to chemicals

3. They are not loud birds. They do love to chirp and sing during the day. They are fairly quiet.

4 Now as far as cat this one worries me as cats are predators by nature and go after birds. Yes you can train them not to, but all it takes is one time. So will will have to keep watch and put bird while your gone in room that cat can't go in. You don't want to have a bird you bonded to all the sudden one day to become lunch for the cat, or dead, or seriously injured and then it won't be the cat fault as it what they do. Yes I have kept cat's, dog's, reptiles and birds together when younger, but always someone home at the time and all animals were watched and played with throughout the day.

Will get more into detail later., on other questions.

Last edited:

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I had birds and we (wife and I) cooked on Teflon for many years.
Teflon is safe as long as it is not.
1 heated over a certain temperature.
2 not scratched.

I DO NOT RECOMEND using Teflon if you have birds. Just because I got away with it for a while don't mean it's ok. I have (since I found out how deadly it is to birds) dumped all but 1 Teflon cookware. Only thing I have left is a George Forman grill and I/we don't use it. If I had to use it I guess I would take it into the garage to use it.
There are lot's of stories here on the forum and on the internet in general of people loosing there birds to Teflon.
Compared to the overall cost of keeping birds(cages, food, toys, vet bills) ditching Teflon in favor of ceramic is small potato's.

Please don't use Teflon.

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
If you want a cuddly companionbird: start with one, not a couple.

As long as you realise they are -deep in their DNA- groupbirds and need a LOT of interaction every single day and if you can give him that it will be fine.
(I say him- the males seem to be a bit easier than the females in this case)

NOt sure if you live alone or with family- the more interaction the better, so never put a bird alone in a room.
Always place it where the flock (human of birdfamily) is.

Get a couple (male/female) and you get the hormones, the maybe eggs etc.etc. - do not go there if you've never had a bird before!

OP
Alouette

Alouette

Mar 31, 2019
Northern Europe
Thank you everyone so much, for all the answers!
I will take all of this into account and make sure my home is full proof before getting a bird :)

I live with my boyfriend (who is on board with getting a cockatiel) and we both have a 9 to 5 job, so that is the reason why I was thinking it would be better to get a couple.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts