Getting a new budgie

michaelnmaine

Jan 30, 2023
Brunswick, Maine
Parrots
I have one budgie, "Dudley."
Greetings, new budgie "staff person" here. Cuthbert came home with me about ten days ago. He's alert and curious, eats his seeds, but so far I have not seen him take any water or show any interest in fresh greens. He's pretty quiet, chirping only occasionally. I talk to him frequently throughout the day, taking his cage with me from living room to my study during the day, so that he's around me most of the time.

When I put my hand into his cage (slowly), he starts to move away and by the time I am close enough to touch him, he's hopping over to another perch or the side of the cage. He's let me get close enough a couple of times to stroke his breast and once even hopped on my finger for a few seconds. Once he displays any anxiety, I quietly withdraw my hand and talk to him soothingly. So, what am I doing wrong? Thanks for any advice.

Cuthbert_first_photo_012623.jpg

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Welcome to the forums Michael and Cuthbert - what a gorgeous baby he is!! 😍

I don't think you're doing much "wrong", just moving a little too fast for Cuthbert maybe? Ten days is only a blink of an eye in budgie terms, and he's only very young and still very much in the early stages of settling in to his new surroundings. Food bribery is your friend, so perhaps you might try tempting him with some sprigs of millet, they are great because you can hold them in your fingertips which allows him to get familiar with your hands without getting too close for comfort. Plus they help him to associate your hands with good things and yummy treats!

Having said that, there are plenty of people here who are WAY better placed than me to give you some advice and no doubt they will be along to welcome you soon and help you out. Meanwhile the following thread was written by someone who really knows their stuff :)

Most of all though I wanted just to say "Welcome!" - as a fellow bird "staff person" I think you're already well on the way to winning Cuthbert's trust and I'm very happy to have you aboard!

Most Reactions

Latest posts