Getting a second green cheek conure, need advice!

Artchic528

Sep 3, 2020
Charlotte, NC
Parrots
2 Albino Parakeets, Jax and Jasmine
I have an established yellow sided boy named Pico de Gallo. Iā€™m getting a second green cheek, a turquoise, this weekend and need advice.

Iā€™m getting her from a nice woman who is moving and canā€™t take her bird with her. The owner hasnā€™t sexed her but refers to her as a ā€œsheā€ and has the name Leia. From her pictures sheā€™s an absolute character and loves people!

First off, yes. Iā€™ll be taking the new bird to the vet ASAP! Since Leia hasnā€™t been sexed yet thatā€™s definitely one of the first things Iā€™m going to do.

Secondly, Iā€™m considering where to quarantine her. Iā€™ve heard that itā€™s ideal to quarantine new birds in a separate building, but I donā€™t have that luxury. Furthermore, Iā€™ve heard itā€™s pointless to quarantine a bird in the same building. Should I still quarantine?

I live in a two bedroom, two bath apartment. There is a big wide open living area with a kitchen dividing the on suite bedroom/bathroom from the guest bedroom and bathroom. My boyfriend works from home so has set up the guest bedroom as his office, and since he makes a lot of work calls, I canā€™t house birds in there.

Picoā€™s cage is in the main living space but I can always wheel it into our bedroom, and keep Leia in a smaller, temporary quarantine cage in the guest bath. The guest bathroom is only used to house the catā€™s litter box, but we have a second litter box in the on suite bathroom. I can just move the litter box out and set up the quarantine cage in there. Would that work?

And lastly, how can I make her adjustment as smooth as possible without upsetting Pico too much?

Thanks Iā€™m advance!!!

OP
Artchic528

Artchic528

Sep 3, 2020
Charlotte, NC
Parrots
2 Albino Parakeets, Jax and Jasmine
Iā€™m getting Leia tomorrow so if you have any advice, Iā€™d love to hear it!

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I would, for at least a few weeks, keep Leia in a different room than Pico.
Itā€™s true, quarantining is not going to matter much unless youā€™re literally taking a shower and changing your clothes between birds, but you can minimize contact.
I mean, if the bird is vet checked before they meet, though blood work usually takes 24 to get the results, and sheā€™s healthy, I donā€™t see a problem.
I would wash your hands at least so between them.

When introducing two birds, sometimes it can go perfectly and sometimes you have two birds that canā€™t be out of their cages at the same time.
Though, green cheeks seem to be fairly accepting of other green cheeks from what Iā€™ve observed.
I would try training Pico in front of Leia while sheā€™s in her cage, and vice versa, letting them see each other from afar to start.

Good luck with your new conure! šŸ˜Š

Most Reactions

Latest posts