Getting my baby Conure used to a cage

andreanoellie

Apr 29, 2013
California
Parrots
A Green Cheek Conure
He is about 7 weeks now and close to being weaned. Recently I decided to start putting him in a cage a couple days ago since he is able to perch up without my help. He seriously hates being in the cage. He never bites me when going in, but when I put him in there at night he walks around at the bottom wanting to get out. While I do ignore him I want his cage to be a less stressful situation for him. Any tips? Should I leave him in his cage other than just bed time?

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
You might want to keep your conure in his regular area at night and the cage during the day. Give him some foot toys and things on the bottom of the cage, place perches low, maybe give him some platform/flat perches, too. Since he's young, you may even want to give him a box or something that he may find some comfort in if he were to sleep in it inside the cage?

And the more accustomed he gets to the cage, the longer you can keep him in there for?

Also, does it make a difference if you put him in the cage after it's dark (i.e. all lights are off in the room the cage is in and it's dark outside) or when the lights are on?

Most Reactions

Latest posts