Getting rid of pests

Saffanna

Dec 15, 2021
Parrots
Rainbow lorikeet, cockatiels
Thanks for this forum. We live in Florida and have a huge lanai where we keep our bird's cages. (2 cockatiels & a rainbow lorikeet) For two years we've had no problems, but 2 weeks ago we noticed odd activity on the covers we use on the birds cages at night. The covers being poke through the bars from the outside of the cage. We finally found evidence of rats. Put out a trap for 3 nights. First night we were successful. But the last 2 nights nothing. I know that rats don't come alone. I've cleaned and moved things where I think they may be hiding. Nothing found.
Has anyone had a similar problem, and what did you do. We don't have an option to bring them inside..

Thanks in advance....

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
Oh man!! I do not envy you. Rats are smart and probably saw what happeneded. Just keep the traps maybe change up the bait. I don't know what you are using but I am a definitely a fan of trap and release . If you must kill, snappers seem to be the most humane. Drowning buckets ND glue paper is really a slow agonizing death.

Can you add Motion detector cameras just to watch for the future?

OP
Saffanna

Saffanna

Dec 15, 2021
Parrots
Oh man!! I do not envy you. Rats are smart and probably saw what happeneded. Just keep the traps maybe change up the bait. I don't know what you are using but I am a definitely a fan of trap and release . If you must kill, snappers seem to be the most humane. Drowning buckets ND glue paper is really a slow agonizing death.

Can you add Motion detector cameras just to watch for the future?
Thanks. We have cameras and even changed the distance and angle and never saw a thing. It was the droppings that solved the mystery. I also hate kill traps and apologized to the poor guy, but it was a quick death. Shudder. We ordered peppermint oil deterrent and I hope that works. We have to be careful because we have dogs that go in and out the dog door. Gonna spray it good. So the traps are only set at night when are dogs are behind locked bedroom doors.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome to the forums! Managing rodent activity outdoors extraordinarily difficult and tedious. Hopefully your tactics will be successful though may need to change over time. Unfortunately, the presence of food is constant attraction.

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
Thanks. We have cameras and even changed the distance and angle and never saw a thing. It was the droppings that solved the mystery. I also hate kill traps and apologized to the poor guy, but it was a quick death. Shudder. We ordered peppermint oil deterrent and I hope that works. We have to be careful because we have dogs that go in and out the dog door. Gonna spray it good. So the traps are only set at night when are dogs are behind locked bedroom doors.
When you spray make sure it's not a windy day or maybe take the birds in for a couple of hours so the Peppermint spray doesn't affect them. The snappers are definitely more humane than the other ways mentioned above. Oh and I sure you already thought of this but make sure you keep the snap trap out of your dog's reach! Little dogs have had their noses broken from being to curious!

OP
Saffanna

Saffanna

Dec 15, 2021
Parrots
Yes the traps go down at bedtime and the doggie door gets locked. Thanks for your response...

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Ugg! Florida and rats are much too easy of a combination! Plus we are coming into cooler months!
I removed my fruit trees to eliminate my problem!
Spring traps. You know, you can only use the trap once!
Something to try, set the traps out, with bait, not armed! Do this for a while, and when you are seeing activity, start arming a few!
Also, Google some of the really simple DIY live catch traps utilizing 5 gal buckets.
If you have orange trees in your area, good luck! As said, that’s why mine are gone!

Welcome neighbor!

OP
Saffanna

Saffanna

Dec 15, 2021
Parrots
Ugg! Florida and rats are much too easy of a combination! Plus we are coming into cooler months!
I removed my fruit trees to eliminate my problem!
Spring traps. You know, you can only use the trap once!
Something to try, set the traps out, with bait, not armed! Do this for a while, and when you are seeing activity, start arming a few!
Also, Google some of the really simple DIY live catch traps utilizing 5 gal buckets.
If you have orange trees in your area, good luck! As said, that’s why mine are gone!

Welcome neighbor!
Thanks for your reply. We fortunately do not have fruit trees. I have put out new traps every evening (in different locations) since I caught the first (and only one so far) and no more have been caught, nor have I seen any new droppings. Fingers crossed, this continues to be the trend.

Most Reactions

Latest posts