Giving antibiotics please help.

kevin254

Dec 11, 2012
Parrots
1 b/g macaw
Hi everyone, just about a month ago I got a 4 month old blue and gold macaw. Since I got him from the breeder hes been sneezing off and on. Some days more then others. some days not at all. And only a few times has actual "snot" came out. His nares are slightly pink. The breeder said its just allergies by I took him to the vet to be safe. The vet guessed it was a bacterial infection (didnt run any actual tests). She gave me an antibiotic called Enrofloxacin and a probiotic. Im supposed to give it through a syringe once a day for 10 days. Im now on day 5 and my bird HATES it (makes sneezing/coughing NOISES when I restrain him and turns pink in the face angry).The past couple of times hes pushed most of the meds out of his beak. Its becoming really hard to give him the medication. How do I give medication to a macaw without hurting him or him hurting me? AND also have you guys ever heard of birds having allergies? in case the breeder was right.

Other than the sneezing he seems perfectly healthy. He plays all day, trys to talk, and just has fun.

NO one in the house smokes, no candles, air fresheners, teflon, or any other bad things for birds. I have done my research.

Sorry for the long post. THANKS GUYS.

Last edited:

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
When i had to give my amazon oral meds I put it on a small piece of bread. I gave it to him first thing in the morning when he was the hungriest, I masked the taste with red palm oil over it.I didn't give him anything else till he ate it.
You can use any food that will soak it up, and mask with any taste that he will eat.
Made life much easier.
Pick a favorite and good luck.

I have heard of birds having allergies, but haven't experienced it.

OP
K

kevin254

Dec 11, 2012
Parrots
1 b/g macaw
Thank you. I was going to try that at first but when he eats anything besides his pellets 80% of the food ends up on the ground. but I will try for sure.

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
As i say I used a small Postage stamp size piece of toast, I've heard of it being put on popcorn or if the pellet will soak it up, use a pellet and fed by hand as a treat.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Luckily I've never had to administer antibiotics via mouth to my Mac...I think I'd lose a finger in the process. :eek:

I have a suggestion: Take the antibiotics BACK and ask your avian vet to give you syringes that are prefilled with the correct amount of antibiotics that must be given subcutaneously. Yes, with a needle. The first time I had to do this I was absolutely horrified, but it proved to be the EASIEST thing in the world, I promise. The needles are SUPER thin, and you insert them into the chest. It's as quick as one, two, three....and my Hunter (YN Amazon) never even flinched. ;)

I do believe your vet should have run some tests, however, to make sure your bird is in fact battling an infection. Just my 2 cents. :)

triordan

Sep 1, 2010
Maryland
Parrots
Remington~ GW Macaw
Ollie/Olivia~ CAG
I too soaked oral meds in bread, then a little peanut butter or almond butter on top~ he loved it!

OP
K

kevin254

Dec 11, 2012
Parrots
1 b/g macaw
Alright Thanks guys ill try all your suggestions.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
You can also do honey, plain yogurt, plain greek yogurt, organic baby food (watch out for sugar and salt), bread (as mentioned), apple sauce, fruit juice (preferably organic, grape, cherry, pineapple, orange, cherry, black cherry, etc) or anything else your macaw may enjoy.

I doubt the breeder would be willing to help out any on vet costs unless the vet actually tests for bacteria and fungi and something comes back positive. Even then, it might be hard... as you have no proof your macaw is in fact sick.

What about other dusty items? Air ducts? Filters? Carpet? Fans? Anything that might be dusty and cause dust to circulate in the air? And was your macaw sneezing any before you brought him home?

DannyA93

Jan 22, 2012
Las Cruces, NM
Parrots
Pineapple Turquoise Greencheek Conure-Ivy❤️, Male Cockatiel-Lusa (aka Bub =D)
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCxO1wOkgZo&feature=share&list=UU_fS6zBE9tDiny9dodeGiMw]Sick Parrot - YouTube[/ame]

You might find this video helpful:) if your B&G likes juice!

MirandaG

Dec 8, 2012
Toledo, OH
Parrots
Gypsy - Congo African Grey
I just got a gray last week. Vet said the same thing. Mine is on 3 liquid meds that are refrigerated. I cant get mine to take out of a syringe either, so I squirt the meds on nutriberries. I make the morning and evening doses at the same time and freeze them to harden them back up. I put one in her pellet cup at each feeding and she always eats them. My vet said this way was fine. I haven't noticed her sneezing in several days.

OP
K

kevin254

Dec 11, 2012
Parrots
1 b/g macaw
Im going to try on a peanut butter cracker tomorrow. The only problem is my bird has never tried anything new. As hard as I try.

Sherry

Sep 26, 2012
Maine
Parrots
African grey
Sun conure
B&G Macaw
Is your macaw totally weaned? If not maybe you can mix the meds into the formula and feed through the syringe. My B&G is almost 4 months and I'm still doing two feedings a day.

Most Reactions

Latest posts