Giving Flaxseed to my Grey

Luigi

Apr 17, 2007
Took my Grey to the animal hospital in the city for a checkup and he noticed that my Grey's heartbeat stood out. He said it didn't sound like a heart murmer but suggested I give my Grey Flaxseed Oil. After a week of finding only Flaxseed Tablets I finally found the liquid version. I was wondering if anyone knew a good way to give it to my Grey. It's greasy. I think I'll try mixing a tiny bit in the water.

He also suggested I try and ultrasound xray or something. I'm still thinking about it. ._.

birdcrazy

Oct 6, 2006
Media
Orlando, FL / Austin, TX
Parrots
Misty ~ Cockatiel,
Sidney ~ Jenday Conure,
Paulie ~ Blue Crowned Conure
just give him regular water too often times they wont drink water that has been docotred up.you could try dipping one of his favorite treats in it.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006

NicoleN

Jan 15, 2007
Media
Michigan
Parrots
Sisqo & GiGi-DYH & BF Amazons

Snow & Blue-Budgies
I give Sisqo whole grain toast with flaxseeds in it every morning for breakfast. Of course, the only problem with that is if your Grey doesn't want to eat it, he will just eat around them. Still worth a shot though, and it's pretty good too :D

darkchi

Dec 6, 2006
Albany, NY
Parrots
Cricket -C.A.G
This is prolly going to be a redundant question, but what does the flaxseed do for your bird or should I say what are health benefits for it?

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Richard J. Holliday, DVM - "Good nutrition can prevent disease. Good nutrition can cure disease." A groundswell of nutrition conscious veterinarians are beginning to recommend to their clients that they supplement their animals diet with a daily dose of flaxseed oil and other nutrients for optimum health and vitality. The food your animal eats should provide all of the nutritional components which are necessary for all organs and systems of a healthy body to perform in harmonious unison. A properly functioning body does an amazing job at preventing disease and healing itself, and to do this it requires the energies and nutrients of a well-balanced diet. In terms of finding the proper diet for our companions, this means learning to look beyond our own needs, opinions, and agendas to address the natural needs of the animals that we caretake.

That was just copied pasted from the above site, I give Bucc and Kito Palm Nuts, they love them and are made up of their natural diet in the wild. Does it do them any good, well they love em so their happy and when their happy I'm happy. I'm not sure it does them anymore good than flaxseed oil, but they are all healthy with a balanced diet.

Maybe if they were lacking in something one may do more good than the other

Most Reactions