goffin wants nothing to do with me or my family

kaspertiel

Jul 3, 2020
Chicago, IL
Parrots
Kasper, Goffin Cockatiel
Pancho, smaller Cockatiel
hello, friends :) iā€™m very new to owning cockatiels and birds in general, but i have family in my household that helps me with them. we have 2: a smaller cockatiel and a bigger goffin cockatiel. the smaller buddy behaves well with us and we have no problem with him. the goffin, however, changed her behavior overnight. when we first got her, she was so sweet. she danced left and right, up and down, she put her head by our ears and cuddled with everyone, she had fun. she loved me the most, and i loved her the most. she and i went all around the house, i fed her fruits and other healthy human foods, we played around and even took naps together! i did everything i can to make sure she was happy and safe. she always had a plucking problem and even got rid of her own tail and her left wing. we got her in february, weā€™ve been trying to look for vets but the coronavirus mess made it impossible to find someone who was willing to help. even with her plucking issues, she still wanted to go around the house and walk, dance, squawk, etc. we keep her in my room and she liked it there. then around the end of may one morning, she was scared to see my face. she keep jumping from one side of her cage to the other, and she even dropped herself a couple of times. she would only calm down when i was lying on my bed or when i left the room. every time i would walk in or try to change her food and water, she tried hiding from me as fast as she could. iā€™ve done so much reading and research to help, but nothing gives me answers and iā€™m still stuck. she lets babies and little kids get near her though. her little head raises up and she hisses at them, but she freaks out whenever me or my family try to go near her very calmly. i donā€™t know if we should give her to another family. we want her to be happy again before we go to those measures. all i ask is, is there anything i need to do to make her happy again? what should i do? is giving her away the best option? :(

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Welcome and hello!

I am just looking for clarification, there is a huge difference between a cockatiel and a cockatoo (although they are related). A Goffins is a cockatoo...is the other bird you have a cockatiel or cockatoo? A cockatiel is a tiny bird (a bit bigger than a budgie/parakeet)...A cockatoo is MUCH larger , louder and among the most complicated species to own (goffins being some of the less demanding varieties, but still difficult for many). Cockatoos are near and dear to my heart and they are very easily misunderstood..

I do NOT believe in "starter birds" but I am 500% certain that getting a cockatoo as a first bird is very risky..Have you had other large birds before? That doesn't mean you should get rid of her, but it DOES sound a bit like you are in over your head...given the cockatiel, cockatoo confusion etc (that doesn't mean you can't learn if devoted though!).

How old is the Goffins and how old is the other bird...still trying to figure out what else you have...

You say she "always" had a plucking problem...does that mean since you got her, or before you got her?

Did you call the vet to see if there was a possibility? We aren't that far apart, so I just am saying, a lot of vets still see clients with restrictions.

COCKATOOS AND CUDDLES DO NOT MIX....so you could have a very hormonal bird on your hands, which is why I ask the age. They WANT cuddles, but if you give them, you are basically making very sexual promises that you cannot keep...NEVER pet a cockatoo anywhere but he head and neck..the rest is pure sex and leads to behavioral issues if done repeatedly.

How often is she out each day? these birds are VERY active and very smart...they need to have a TON of stimulation..

What is her sleep schedule? They need a MINIMUM of 12 hours nightly on a schedule--it can mess with their hormones if they don't get this...it needs to be good sleep too, and they need full light in the daytime (not necessarily by a window, but no covered sides on the cage...no dark walls...a WELL lit room..you know?)

If there is any access to huts/tents/boxes/caves/low shelves/under bedding/under clothes/blankets/couches etc...Remove it...it's a nesting trigger and impacts hormones as well.

Last edited:
OP
K

kaspertiel

Jul 3, 2020
Chicago, IL
Parrots
Kasper, Goffin Cockatiel
Welcome and hello!

I am just looking for clarification, there is a huge difference between a cockatiel and a cockatoo (although they are related). A Goffins is a cockatoo...is the other bird you have a cockatiel or cockatoo? A cockatiel is a tiny bird (a bit bigger than a budgie/parakeet)...A cockatoo is MUCH larger , louder and among the most complicated species to own (goffins being some of the less demanding varieties, but still difficult for many). Cockatoos are near and dear to my heart and they are very easily misunderstood..

I do NOT believe in "starter birds" but I am 500% certain that getting a cockatoo as a first bird is very risky..Have you had other large birds before? That doesn't mean you should necessarily get rid of her, but it DOES sound a bit like you are in WAY over your head...given the cockatiel, cockatoo confusion etc (that doesn't mean you can't learn if devoted though!).

How old is the Goffins and how old is the other bird...still trying to figure out what else you have...

You say she "always" had a plucking problem...does that mean since you got her, or before you got her?

Did you call the vet to see if there was a possibility? We aren't that far apart, so I just am saying, a lot of vets still see clients with restrictions.

COCKATOOS AND CUDDLES DO NOT MIX....so you could have a very hormonal bird on your hands, which is why I ask the age. They WANT cuddles, but if you give them, you are basically making very sexual promises that you cannot keep...NEVER pet a cockatoo anywhere but he head and neck..the rest is pure sex and leads to behavioral issues if done repeatedly.

How often is she out each day? these birds are VERY active and very smart...they need to have a TON of stimulation..

What is her sleep schedule? They need a MINIMUM of 12 hours nightly on a schedule--it can mess with their hormones if they don't get this...it needs to be good sleep too, and they need full light in the daytime (not necessarily by a window, but no covered sides on the cage...no dark walls...a WELL lit room..you know?)

If there is any access to huts/tents/boxes/caves/low shelves/under bedding/under clothes/blankets/couches etc...Remove it...it's a nesting trigger and impacts hormones as well.

1. the other bird is a cockatiel, the goffin is a cockatoo. i didnā€™t know the difference, thank you for the info!
2. we have not owned larger birds before. when my mother was talking to us about getting her, i told her it wasnā€™t a good idea at all because not one of us has the experience to take care of her. i do what i can to make sure her needs are met and do research very frequently.
3. we donā€™t know the ages of either bird because neither of the previous owners told us nor did we ask them.
4. when we received her, you could tell she plucked her feathers and had very messed up ā€œtangledā€ looking feathers. she just did it more and more the longer we had her. her tail is actually growing again! still, i want her to be happy with us again like she was before.
5. the vet we wanted to call wasnā€™t open at all and was far. we want the best for our goffin, but the good vets are very far from where we live.
6. yeah... i read about the cuddles and avoided that. she seemed to be doing fine when i stopped though.
7. she was out almost every day, but now she only gets out of her cage when iā€™m not the room. when i enter my room and sheā€™s outside of her cage, she enters her cage very fast and does everything she can to get as far away from me as possible.
8. she naps frequently. i live in the upstairs part of the house, where everything is the most quiet, but my room has 2 windows, only one of them allows sunlight to enter the room. i turn on my light and leave it on for the rest of the day until itā€™s time to sleep. iā€˜m very busy and i sometimes stay up late to finish things for the family. when i sleep, she sleeps; when i wake up, she wakes up.
9. i have a small box in my room, but itā€™s full of curling wands and straightening irons, some shoes, and a covered shoe box. should i remove that as well?

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Welcome and hello!

I do NOT believe in "starter birds" but I am 500% certain that getting a cockatoo as a first bird is very risky..Have you had other large birds before? That doesn't mean you should necessarily get rid of her, but it DOES sound a bit like you are in WAY over your head...given the cockatiel, cockatoo confusion etc (that doesn't mean you can't learn if devoted though!).

1. the other bird is a cockatiel, the goffin is a cockatoo. i didnā€™t know the difference, thank you for the info!
2. we have not owned larger birds before. when my mother was talking to us about getting her, i told her it wasnā€™t a good idea at all because not one of us has the experience to take care of her. i do what i can to make sure her needs are met and do research very frequently.
3. we donā€™t know the ages of either bird because neither of the previous owners told us nor did we ask them.
4. when we received her, you could tell she plucked her feathers and had very messed up ā€œtangledā€ looking feathers. she just did it more and more the longer we had her. her tail is actually growing again! still, i want her to be happy with us again like she was before.
5. the vet we wanted to call wasnā€™t open at all and was far. we want the best for our goffin, but the good vets are very far from where we live.
6. yeah... i read about the cuddles and avoided that. she seemed to be doing fine when i stopped though.
7. she was out almost every day, but now she only gets out of her cage when iā€™m not the room. when i enter my room and sheā€™s outside of her cage, she enters her cage very fast and does everything she can to get as far away from me as possible.
8. she naps frequently. i live in the upstairs part of the house, where everything is the most quiet, but my room has 2 windows, only one of them allows sunlight to enter the room. i turn on my light and leave it on for the rest of the day until itā€™s time to sleep. iā€˜m very busy and i sometimes stay up late to finish things for the family. when i sleep, she sleeps; when i wake up, she wakes up.
9. i have a small box in my room, but itā€™s full of curling wands and straightening irons, some shoes, and a covered shoe box. should i remove that as well?

I will say more later (got to go) but as long as she can't put her head into the box or investigate it, then you are fine!

Talven

Banned
Banned
May 4, 2019
Australia
Have you changed your hairstyle, hair colour or glasses (If you wear them) recently? Or made any sort significant changes to your appearance? I'm in the process of taming a Galah and she flipped out because I changed from short sleeves to long. Small changes to us can be dramatic to our feathered friends. I'm sure more experienced Cockatoo owners will have more advice for you.

derekdylan7

Jun 2, 2020
Media
nr Peterborough, UK.
Parrots
Goffin Cockatoo
Well, I can't begin to say I'm an expert but we have had our Goffin Cockatoo since 6months old. In our experience 30 years later the bird is very happy with both of us handling him.

In contrast to what I have read in the advice here we cuddle the bird a lot. I mean we stroke his neck, head, under wings, etc. We do however recognise some over excited and sexually charged moments (in season) and avoid encouraging him, and/or let him go ahead and roll around with a stuffed soft toy !! But he loves being handled within the boundaries described and I would say a lifelong bird friend of the Goffin variety would expect some cuddling. As for boxes - he has an empty cereal box in his cage to shred and crawl in once a fortnight on average and loves showing us his curious nature. When out, (most of the time) he'll generally sit quietly on or near us.

The 'shunning' behaviour you describe I've only seen him exhibit towards a gentleman who would board him when we were on holiday, along with other birds, dogs in kennels etc. I believe he saw the man as a scolding, unfriendly type who had no time for our bird. This was in contrast to the man's wife who liked our bird a lot and the Goffy responded in kind.

I just feel that our experience shows that if a Goffin believes you like them they will respond in kind. Sure, that means they are very demanding of your time and affection, and that's the way it is, but you reap the rewards ! It's a long journey too with bumps (and bites!) along the way, but well worth it if you want the bird as a friend for life.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Well, I can't begin to say I'm an expert but we have had our Goffin Cockatoo since 6months old. In our experience 30 years later the bird is very happy with both of us handling him.

In contrast to what I have read in the advice here we cuddle the bird a lot. I mean we stroke his neck, head, under wings, etc. We do however recognise some over excited and sexually charged moments (in season) and avoid encouraging him, and/or let him go ahead and roll around with a stuffed soft toy !! But he loves being handled within the boundaries described and I would say a lifelong bird friend of the Goffin variety would expect some cuddling. As for boxes - he has an empty cereal box in his cage to shred and crawl in once a fortnight on average and loves showing us his curious nature. When out, (most of the time) he'll generally sit quietly on or near us.

The 'shunning' behaviour you describe I've only seen him exhibit towards a gentleman who would board him when we were on holiday, along with other birds, dogs in kennels etc. I believe he saw the man as a scolding, unfriendly type who had no time for our bird. This was in contrast to the man's wife who liked our bird a lot and the Goffy responded in kind.

I just feel that our experience shows that if a Goffin believes you like them they will respond in kind. Sure, that means they are very demanding of your time and affection, and that's the way it is, but you reap the rewards ! It's a long journey too with bumps (and bites!) along the way, but well worth it if you want the bird as a friend for life.

I know you have had yours for a long time and without issue, but this is a 1st time parrot owner and the last thing he needs is added hormonal behavior that he may not recognize as hormonal (and females run the risk of egg-binding and egg laying if stimulated). For MOST cockatoos, these types of things are huge triggers (even though you have not noticed an issue with yours....I wouldn't suggest others to take that gamble). In nature, excluding their parents, the mate is the only other bird that would ever touch a bird on its back, under the wings etc..and they are hard-wired to find a mate...and as a human, you can never fulfill the promises that go along with that...

It's okay to briefly touch a bird under it's wings for health purposes---like at the vet or to put on a harness etc (so you want them to allow you to do it if you need to) but you shouldn't be petting under there-- same with the back-- a quick pat isn't likely going to end the world, but you don't want to stroke or cuddle..you want it to be short (a few seconds--not minutes). Prolonged petting like that is sexual whether or not it seems that way. They are wild animals so those instincts are hard-wired. It's easy to cross a line WITHOUT knowing it, and yes, with years of experience, you can sort of gauge what your specific bird can/can't handle, but for many these hormones flare up fast and without a lot of warning...so you have been lucky, but that doesn't mean most will be.

here's a video on hormones:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=by54qevmF-4&t=8s"]YouTube[/ame]

also-- keep in mind that different species and individuals will respond to hormones in different ways, so while some may be SUPER obvious, other may be harder to read.

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
hello, friends :) iā€™m very new to owning cockatiels and birds in general, but i have family in my household that helps me with them. we have 2: a smaller cockatiel and a bigger goffin cockatiel. the smaller buddy behaves well with us and we have no problem with him. the goffin, however, changed her behavior overnight. when we first got her, she was so sweet. she danced left and right, up and down, she put her head by our ears and cuddled with everyone, she had fun. she loved me the most, and i loved her the most. she and i went all around the house, i fed her fruits and other healthy human foods, we played around and even took naps together! i did everything i can to make sure she was happy and safe. she always had a plucking problem and even got rid of her own tail and her left wing. we got her in february, weā€™ve been trying to look for vets but the coronavirus mess made it impossible to find someone who was willing to help. even with her plucking issues, she still wanted to go around the house and walk, dance, squawk, etc. we keep her in my room and she liked it there. then around the end of may one morning, she was scared to see my face. she keep jumping from one side of her cage to the other, and she even dropped herself a couple of times. she would only calm down when i was lying on my bed or when i left the room. every time i would walk in or try to change her food and water, she tried hiding from me as fast as she could. iā€™ve done so much reading and research to help, but nothing gives me answers and iā€™m still stuck. she lets babies and little kids get near her though. her little head raises up and she hisses at them, but she freaks out whenever me or my family try to go near her very calmly. i donā€™t know if we should give her to another family. we want her to be happy again before we go to those measures. all i ask is, is there anything i need to do to make her happy again? what should i do? is giving her away the best option? :(

Welcome, thanks for sharing details of Kasper's behavioral changes. Goffins are generally extremely social once bonded, something radical changed as though a switch was flipped. Three considerations come to mind:

1- Kasper does not totally avoid humans. This is a good sign!
2- Plucking/feather picking is a complex issue, please read more here: http://www.parrotforums.com/behavioral/52217-plucking-search-answers.html
3- The basis for some or all of Kasper's issues may have a medical basis. Certified avian vets are fairly rare, but if you are in the Chicago area, there ought be choices despite covid restrictions. Best to avoid "exotic" practices and focus on certified avian vets with specialized training and equipment.

My best advice is to attempt a "reset" of your relationship with Kasper. I know that sounds technical and she is not a computer! This thread offers excellent advice to establish trust and a bond with a parrot: http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/49144-tips-bonding-building-trust.html
Progress can be slow, be patient and reward Kasper with small bits of a favorite treat. Almonds and walnuts are often favored but high fat content, so tiny pieces!

Good luck, please keep us informed of progress. We love pics if you'd like to share!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

In contrast to what I have read in the advice here we cuddle the bird a lot. I mean we stroke his neck, head, under wings, etc. We do however recognise some over excited and sexually charged moments (in season) and avoid encouraging him, and/or let him go ahead and roll around with a stuffed soft toy !! But he loves being handled within the boundaries described and I would say a lifelong bird friend of the Goffin variety would expect some cuddling. quietly on or near us.

I do precisely the same with my 4 tame Goffins and have never experienced hormonal issues. (the fifth remains mostly wild, handling is minimal) Whether this is a trait of Goffins or strictly luck is conjecture, but they truly enjoy cuddling and tactile handling. That said, I concede conventional guidance against robust handling of cockatoos is operative pending evidence to the contrary!

OP
K

kaspertiel

Jul 3, 2020
Chicago, IL
Parrots
Kasper, Goffin Cockatiel
Have you changed your hairstyle, hair colour or glasses (If you wear them) recently? Or made any sort significant changes to your appearance? I'm in the process of taming a Galah and she flipped out because I changed from short sleeves to long. Small changes to us can be dramatic to our feathered friends. I'm sure more experienced Cockatoo owners will have more advice for you.

nope. no changes at all. i wear long-sleeves and short sleeves, i've always kept my hair the same, the only thing that changes is my room. i move stuff around every now and then, but i don't know if that has any impact on her behavior.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
I think you haven't had her long enough to really build solid trust and most birds go through a honeymoon period...she is probably gaining confidence etc...and may or may not fully trust you so early on..6 months isn't enough to say with certainty that a bird re-homed bird TRUSTS you (in my opinion)

OP
K

kaspertiel

Jul 3, 2020
Chicago, IL
Parrots
Kasper, Goffin Cockatiel

Welcome, thanks for sharing details of Kasper's behavioral changes. Goffins are generally extremely social once bonded, something radical changed as though a switch was flipped. Three considerations come to mind:

1- Kasper does not totally avoid humans. This is a good sign!
2- Plucking/feather picking is a complex issue, please read more here: http://www.parrotforums.com/behavioral/52217-plucking-search-answers.html
3- The basis for some or all of Kasper's issues may have a medical basis. Certified avian vets are fairly rare, but if you are in the Chicago area, there ought be choices despite covid restrictions. Best to avoid "exotic" practices and focus on certified avian vets with specialized training and equipment.

My best advice is to attempt a "reset" of your relationship with Kasper. I know that sounds technical and she is not a computer! This thread offers excellent advice to establish trust and a bond with a parrot: http://www.parrotforums.com/general-parrot-information/49144-tips-bonding-building-trust.html
Progress can be slow, be patient and reward Kasper with small bits of a favorite treat. Almonds and walnuts are often favored but high fat content, so tiny pieces!

Good luck, please keep us informed of progress. We love pics if you'd like to share!

thank you for these. i'll do everything i can to help her out. she loves pistachios, i give her a small bowl of them every now and then. also, how do i share photos here? i made this account yesterday for the sole purpose of finding answers to my questions haha.

thank you once again!! :) :D :)

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

I sincerely hope you regain a tight bond with Kasper. Goffins are exceptional birds, you are both deserving of closeness. Please keep us updated and ask questions!!

A few ways to post pictures. Member memory space is limited, but you can upload from computer by clicking the "paper clip" icon in grey box above, just to right of smiley drop down menu. You can also post pic links in the yellow box with mountain and sun image on bottom row of upper grey box, a few icons right of center. Easiest method is from free image hosting service such as Imgur. Here's how: http://www.parrotforums.com/technical-support/6287-how-post-pictures-6.html#post718293

Direct link from YouTube best way to post videos.

Most Reactions