Going on Holiday?

Shrub

Nov 30, 2018
Netherlands
Parrots
Giggles - Red Crowned Kakariki
Okay well not really a holiday... I would like to ask about when you go away what do you do with your birds? Have someone come in few times a day? Or find it easier or better to find someone who can take the bird into their home while you are away.
I feel like I need to put in a little background.
I am from Australia and living in Europe. Actually should become a European citizen this year. But I also have legal issues in Australia. (we have not come to a settlement agreement) but because of legal issues I cannot discuss my case to much. I am the plaintiff so I would have to be there during trial. But If we have to go to court I will have to leave to Australia, which means I could be there for 2 months roughly maybe 3. I feel like this is a very long time to leave my little boy. This most likely wont happen until next year.

RIki is a Kakariki, he 2 and a half and bonded with me. He is my only bird which works out well. He is my companion as I send most my days with him. I am disabled and don't work. I am not sure how my leaving will affect him. I know he wont understand why I left and if I will come back.
I realise I would feel best with someone who has experience with birds.
Would it be best to find someone who has birds? I don't know how he would go with other bird. I prolly would not be so stressed about it if it was a weekend or up to a week but few months is a different story and i think especially for a bird.
Any tips or advice for this would be awesome.

I am in The Netherlands if that matters.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Fortunately for me my bird guy will board my birds....So when I had to go out of state for a funeral he took care of them. Parrot rescue centers will also board birds typically it s like less that ten bucks a day. I'd start there.

OP
Shrub

Shrub

Nov 30, 2018
Netherlands
Parrots
Fortunately for me my bird guy will board my birds....So when I had to go out of state for a funeral he took care of them. Parrot rescue centers will also board birds typically it s like less that ten bucks a day. I'd start there.
Thanks. I will deff look into it.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
I bring my bird to a bird sitter when I am out of town. I was fortunate enough to find an avian vet tech student to watch her and it has worked out very well. However, I don't leave her very often and when I do it's usually a short trip.

For a 3 month time period I would consider whichever option would mean more socialization for your birdie. Staying with someone might mean more socialization vs having someone drop in to feed etc. Unless you have someone stay at your place with RIki vs just dropping in.

I would look for someone who has specific experience with birds - not just a cat and dog sitter. Birds are so fragile and have so many specialized needs that you really want someone who knows what they're doing. If the sitter has birds of their own - that could make things more complicated because then you have to worry about disease transmission if they are interacting together. So even if the sitter had birds it would probably be best to keep RIki separated from during his stay anyway.

OP
Shrub

Shrub

Nov 30, 2018
Netherlands
Parrots
I bring my bird to a bird sitter when I am out of town. I was fortunate enough to find an avian vet tech student to watch her and it has worked out very well. However, I don't leave her very often and when I do it's usually a short trip.

For a 3 month time period I would consider whichever option would mean more socialization for your birdie. Staying with someone might mean more socialization vs having someone drop in to feed etc. Unless you have someone stay at your place with RIki vs just dropping in.

I would look for someone who has specific experience with birds - not just a cat and dog sitter. Birds are so fragile and have so many specialized needs that you really want someone who knows what they're doing. If the sitter has birds of their own - that could make things more complicated because then you have to worry about disease transmission if they are interacting together. So even if the sitter had birds it would probably be best to keep RIki separated from during his stay anyway.
I was thinking about that. Found a pet sitter website here and most ppl willing for cats and dogs but some also seem to have expirience with small birds as well. I would rather he go somewhere so he isnt alone all day every day. We have chickens as well but they are easier to get someone in 2ce a day to let out in the morning and put in at night.
I do know people who if I asked would be happy to take him, but I wouldn't trust them enough to have him as Riki would prolly escape.
Think I will look into finding someone with bird exp that he can live with for a while and supply his food and money for vege and fruit. Plus his own cage and toys.
Just the thought of leaving him so long is stressful, the most I have left him for was around 24 hours and that is because I went for surgery.

OP
Shrub

Shrub

Nov 30, 2018
Netherlands
Parrots
Thanks for replies, I know it is very early to prolly think about it but his a good boy (most he time)
Think I will try and find a bird sitter with bird exp who he can live with while I am away if I have to go away.

Most Reactions

Latest posts