Going to work outside my home

quakerlove

Jul 5, 2015
Media
North Carolina
Parrots
Blue quaker
Hi Folks, I have to work full time (outside the home) 9-6. I’m concerned how this will affect my Quaker who is used to me being home. Any suggestions on how to manage him being home by himself all day? It breaks my heart.
Thanks for your help.
MK

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Oh wow, I totally understand being worried about this change. I'm already worrying about the time change affecting my birds!

I haven't had to transition from at home work to in person work, but I have worked full time outside the home 3-4 days a week since adopting my ringneck last spring.

I always play the same thing when I leave - I use Parrot Town TV livestreams quietly playing on an old laptop. I only use this on days I'll be at work all day, so that Cotton knows I'll be gone early and coming back in the evening (as opposed to when I just go to the store or out in the yard, etc).

I also have a camera and he does respond well to me talking to him through it - not all birds will; my son's parrot gets very upset by this.

My favorite thing though is that I have a dog walker who my parrot loves - he'll come out and say hi, and go back in his cage when they leave. If I didn't have the dog walker coming every day, or if I had a Quaker that wanted more social time than my ringneck asks for, I might ask my neighbor to stop in and say hi on her work break.

I also put lots and lots and lots of foraging puzzles around! I currently have at least 10 actual little puzzles of some sort and then a bunch of random spots where I'll put little pieces of millet spray or a walnut or piece of red pepper. Usually all of this seems to keep him pretty busy until shortly before I leave work, when he starts asking for fresh veggies for dinner :)

Hopefully there's an idea that helps? Did you already start this schedule? If so, how is it going so far?

Most Reactions

Latest posts