Good buddy for a cockatiel?

Nov 2, 2022
Media
Washington, DC, USA
Parrots
Astro (budgie) 1/20/23--3/31/23
Poppy (cinnamon cockatiel)
Hi everybody! I want to start off by saying that I adore my cockatiel Poppy and spend as much time with her as I can, but sometimes I can't help but wonder if she'd appreciate another bird friend. However, I'd like to know your opinions on a good species since I'm curious to know what having other kinds of birds would be like versus a cockatiel (I've been leaning toward a GCC although I have nothing against getting a second cockatiel šŸ’œ). The thing is, I dont want to inadvertently get a bird that might bully her or not want to be friends. Obviously there's no guarantee they will get along anyway though.
Even if your answer is "just don't get another bird" I still would like to hear your opinions, thanks!

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Hi everybody! I want to start off by saying that I adore my cockatiel Poppy and spend as much time with her as I can, but sometimes I can't help but wonder if she'd appreciate another bird friend. However, I'd like to know your opinions on a good species since I'm curious to know what having other kinds of birds would be like versus a cockatiel (I've been leaning toward a GCC although I have nothing against getting a second cockatiel šŸ’œ). The thing is, I dont want to inadvertently get a bird that might bully her or not want to be friends. Obviously there's no guarantee they will get along anyway though.
Even if your answer is "just don't get another bird" I still would like to hear your opinions, thanks!
Hi there. I have a cockatiel and recently got a princess parrot. They squabble a little bit but all birds do. All in all they get along ok. They have a nice gentle nature about them.
Budgies are a good match for cockatiels as well. Generally speaking the Aussie parrots will accept other Aussie parrots.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Your best bet is probably another cockatiel, that would be the highest chance of success youā€™d have of them getting along I think.
When I still had my tiel trio, they didnā€™t get along with my GCC Tom. Tom would bully them here and there when he got the chance.
Of course, all birds will be different.

A budgie would probably work too, my budgies and tiels got along decently.

Though, only get another bird if you want one, and feel you can handle caring for two birds.

Vampiric_Conure

May 16, 2022
Media
Albums
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Parrots
Charlie (M) - 23 yrs - Peach Front Conure
Redshift (M)-22yrs - normal Cockatiel
Moon (M) - 2 ys - wf pied cockatiel
Chara (F)- 1 yr - wf pied cockatiel
I second a Budgie or another tiel. I've also had luck with Green cheek conures, but then you have to be very careful as they can bicker like nobody's business, LOL! I kept two green cheeks in a HUGE (like 6 foot tall) flight cage and had multiple food bowls for them. Everything seemed to work out as long as I kept breeding spots (long story...) out of the cage as the conures got VERY VERY mean when in breeding mode. Budgies can be bullies, too, but that's easy enough to cure. Give the cockatiels a lot of food bowls and places to escape and fighting is kept at a minimum.

Most Reactions

Latest posts