good heat lamps/humidifier?

idioticjackson

Oct 27, 2022
Round Rock, Texas
Parrots
Navi (GCC)
Vet told us that my baby has a mild lung infection today :(

Vet recommended that we get a humidifier and heat lamp for Navi. Does anyone have any good suggestions on what brand to use? I've read that Puresun Midis by Arcadia are good. I'd prefer one that isn't too expensive (maybe around $100 or less), but if I need to I'll drop some money for her. I also have,,, a lot of questions about heat lamps for birds. I know how to set them up for lizards, because I have to take care of my brother's while he's in college. But how do they work for birds? How do I set it up? When do I turn it on and off? Also, are there any that clip onto the side of the cage? That'd be a lot easier since my bird's cage came with a sort of 'playscape' on top. Thanks so so much :)

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Aww I'm sorry Navi has an infection! When I adopted Cotton he had a respiratory infection too. It can be stressful! Did your vet have an idea of what was causing the infection? Cotton had chlamydiosis so his treatment was more intense as far as what I did at home, since it can be transmitted to people and also to prevent reinfecting him. Hopefully Navi has something that will heal quickly ❤️

My understanding is that the lightbulbs used for reptiles can be harmful to bird eyes. If you already had one it could be used in an emergency for a couple days (if it doesn't have any nonstick elements), but if you're buying something new I really like heat panels. The two I see recommended most often are the K&H Snuggle Up Heater that mounts to the side of the cage, or the Sweeter Heater that is an infrared heater you can hang above or on the side.

I live in the upper Midwest so my house gets really dry in the winter. I ended up buying an evaporative humidifier after using a little cool mist one I already had. Cotton was not a fan of the mist bit of cool mist lol and it didn't do a lot to increase the humidity overall.

I hope Navi is doing ok and that you're getting lots of good green cheek cuddles!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Heat lamps in IMHO represent a hazard to Parrots as they are commonly overly bright and one is faced with the risk of your Parrot loosing some or all of its vision, if used incorrectly.

My preference is as recommended by my good friend above: K&H Snuggle Up Heater. As a general statement, targeted infrared heaters can be inconsistent as they are highly depending of positioning. Too close and they are problematic, too far away and they are ineffective.

With humidifiers, I am a strong believer in targeting whole house units that are placed on one's Home Forced Air Furnace. Humidity flows from areas of high humidity to areas of low. As a result, small units designed for a small area are commonly overwhelmed and require on-going attention as they attempt to create a proper level in a confined area, where the whole house unit sets a home-wide proper level.

FYI: The entire home and everything in it will enjoy a higher level of comfort with a Winter humidity level in the upper forties.

OP
idioticjackson

idioticjackson

Oct 27, 2022
Round Rock, Texas
Parrots
Navi (GCC)
Aww I'm sorry Navi has an infection! When I adopted Cotton he had a respiratory infection too. It can be stressful! Did your vet have an idea of what was causing the infection? Cotton had chlamydiosis so his treatment was more intense as far as what I did at home, since it can be transmitted to people and also to prevent reinfecting him. Hopefully Navi has something that will heal quickly ❤️

My understanding is that the lightbulbs used for reptiles can be harmful to bird eyes. If you already had one it could be used in an emergency for a couple days (if it doesn't have any nonstick elements), but if you're buying something new I really like heat panels. The two I see recommended most often are the K&H Snuggle Up Heater that mounts to the side of the cage, or the Sweeter Heater that is an infrared heater you can hang above or on the side.

I live in the upper Midwest so my house gets really dry in the winter. I ended up buying an evaporative humidifier after using a little cool mist one I already had. Cotton was not a fan of the mist bit of cool mist lol and it didn't do a lot to increase the humidity overall.

I hope Navi is doing ok and that you're getting lots of good green cheek cuddles!
Vet said it was most likely allergies or the dry air during winter. We got some medication and Navi haaaates it. But, it'll help her get better quicker so she gets it anyways! Thank you for helping! And yes, I'm getting lots of (grumpy) cuddles! :]

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Vet said it was most likely allergies or the dry air during winter. We got some medication and Navi haaaates it. But, it'll help her get better quicker so she gets it anyways! Thank you for helping! And yes, I'm getting lots of (grumpy) cuddles! :]
You could flavor the medication with a drink flavoring syrup to get Navi to take it. That’s what my vet used to recommend. Gail is using that approach to medicate Rickeybird, I believe.

Most Reactions

Latest posts