Good idea to put cage by window?

walterbyrd

Jun 9, 2012
Parrots
Lovebird
I found the lovebird in my backyard, two weeks ago. I could not find the owner, so I kept the bird. This is my first lovebird, or bird of any kind.

She is not very tame, or trustful.

In the mornings, I usually roll her cage by the backdoor, and open the backdoor. She seems to love the fresh air, and gets all excited by chirping back at the wild birds. After a while, I roll the cage back, close the door, and roll the cage back by the backdoor's window.

I figured the sunshine would be good for her, and she can keep her mind occupied by watching the other birds.

But, I am afraid I may be teasing her. Maybe even making her wild. When by the window she frantically tries to escape her cage. She climbs all over, trying to squeeze her heard through the larger gaps in the cage. She tries every door, over and over. Or she sits on the bottom of her cage, looking up at birds flying overhead, flapping her wings and chirping.

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
Loki (GCC) Sugar (Goffins)
Birds actually need the sunshine, or a lamp with the proper bulb substitute. The light through a window is filtered and doesn't provide what they need, which is why many people have outdoor cages they let their birds play in for anywhere between one hour and several. They definitely benefit from it!

Birds are not instantly trustful. Search the forum and you'll see that stated over and over again. There are plenty of threads which will have the sage advice on what to do to earn a birds trust, along with information on diet, toys, etc.

And welcome to the forum!

Most Reactions