good size cage for a macaw?

Birdieboy

Jul 15, 2010
Virginia
Parrots
Two parakeets. Kindle and Charlie
If the bird can stretch out its wings to the tip and it won't touch the cage that i san okay size. That is the smallest for that bird that is in it though. Other than that the best cage is the biggest you can get for it.

Aussie Ben

Jun 8, 2010
Media
South Australia
BB's right, bigger is usually better. The 'wing span' guideline is good, but you want to go bigger than that, especially if the bird will be spending hours in there (which he will, at least for sleeping/eating). For a macaw you also want to make sure the cage has plenty of height to accommodate those big beautiful tails of theirs :). To that end, one thing i find is often overlooked is the depth of the cage. The cage should be deep enough that he can turn around without scraping his tail along the back wall. Make sure you you get one with some thick gauge bars too, those macaws are real chewers from what I hear ;).

btw, what sort of macaw do you have/are you getting? This will definitely affect the sort of cage you need.

Last edited:

Beilana

Jun 14, 2010
Calgary, Ab, Canada
Parrots
Chia!!!! Cinnamon GCC
The bigger the better! Especially for a macaw! I visit a macaw in a local petshop all the time who is in a HUGE cage and it STILL isn't big enough because the macaws tail is all tattered and broken :( So the biggest cage you can possibly afford and fit into your house would be the best lol.

birdiebuddie

Oct 15, 2009
USA
Parrots
Just about one of each.
I recommend something like the Macaw Mansion Bird Cage in either in the 40" x 30" size or 48" x 36" size. You'll also want to consider how much space is taken out when you add all the toys and perches inside the cage which is why I'd suggest the Macaw Mansion cage. You can Google it.

Most Reactions