Good Thoughts and Prayers? I would use them please.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
I know there have been a lot of "news" posts around the internet about this story today, especially on facebook, but I want to share a personal experience with you if I could. I think in a lot of ways you people are some of the only ones who understand why I am hurting so bad right now.

My heart broke this week. I went with some club members to a property where several macaws were being kept. The owner had died, and the caretaker was looking to sell the birds. That is all I knew. I expected to see a breeding setup that had once been functional but now was perhaps a bit overrun, and meet a caretaker who felt she could no longer meet the needs of the birds. This is not what we found.

In the yard of a house that no one lived in, we found many cages, covered every inch in rust, cobbled together from various grates and wires, sharp edges and gaps everywhere, and coated in droppings. It seemed a miracle that no birds had died from injuries received on the cages or from bacterial infections. Then I noticed the empty cages…

The cages were very small, several small enough that the birds in them had no chance of opening their wings all the way. There was not a stick or dowel in a single cage, rather in the center of each was a metal wheel rim that seemed to be from an old bike, swinging on a chain. This seemed to be the only perch these birds had ever known. Cockroaches and mice skittered everywhere, and algae as thick as felt covered the insides of the water bowls, all of which stank. Sunflower seed hulls carpeted the ground. Most of the cages had some shade, but several were in direct sun with no space for the bird to take shelter from the tropical heat.

The birds were Blue and Gold Macaws. Most were fully feathered, but telltale yellow feathers in the wrong places plainly indicated severe liver issues. Several of the birds had painful red shades to their faces that should have been snowy white, and the skin around their nares was loose, warped, and swollen. One bird hung upside down nearly the entire time, banging his head against the side of the cage and flipping his wings every which way in a fashion that seemed to indicate mental deficiencies. Another bird has a mangled beak as if he had shoved it between the bars of his makeshift cage and snapped it off somehow.

The owner had indeed died, but it had been over a year before. Before passing he told the caretaker not to sell any of the birds for less than $1000 each. She had tried many times, and many people had come to look at them, but each time they left empty handed at seeing the condition of the birds. The caretaker had decided to lower the price to $200 or less per bird, and a local bird lover had contacted us about the situation. The club was concerned that at such a low price point, the birds would be sold to people who would not take good care of them. We were right.

Shortly after we arrived on the property, the caretaker arrived with a family, and sold them one of the macaws. A friend of mine told them point blank that the bird needed immediate veterinary care or he would likely die. The man laughed, and with various profanities declared that the bird had survived in this state for this long, it would be fine continuing to do so. The family began moving the small cage into the back of a truck. When this caused the bird to panic, scream, and flail, the family laughed, and shook the cage. I retreated behind a row of cages to compose myself. We could not afford to offend or alienate the caretaker, as she had not yet agreed to release the birds to us. She was proud of the birds; they looked good to someone who doesn’t know the signs, and has no concept of proper living arrangements.

When we arrived there were 15 birds on the property. One left with the reckless family who informed us they intended to use him as a lawn decoration, and two more had been sold to an unknown party without our knowledge. The remaining 11 birds were “purchased” by our club, Hawaiian Feathered Friends Network. The fate of those three will haunt me for the rest of my life.

As it turns out, the only two birds to share a cage, far in the back of the yard, were the original birds. All the rest were their offspring. The caretaker informed me that “Even in the hurricanes, the bad hurricanes, even in the 80’s, they stay here, they never move, go inside, nothing, they just stay, all fine, all good.” She seemed to be trying to explain that the birds were fine and did not need care. This gave us a base age to work on; these birds were probably near 30 years old or older. We also learned that they were all in the cages they had “always been in,” making the condition of the macaw in the smallest cage in the back, even more appalling. His head and tail could nearly touch the floor and ceiling at the same time, and his wings had likely not been extended since he was removed from his parents around the time my parents met, or earlier.

We began by feeding actual food. Clean seed, pellets, nuts, and fresh fruit and veggies. We scrubbed out the putrid water dishes, at least those that we could remove. Some were bolted and rusted to the cage indicating years of not being moved. We inserted perches and again held back tears as not a single bird knew what to do with them. We rigged tarps and scraps of metal to protect the most exposed birds from the sun, and planned a feeding schedule for the birds until we could remove them. Some of the members went to the hardware store to buy chains and locks, suspecting it possible that the caretaker might return to sell the birds to other people now that she had our cash.

Yesterday other members of the team were able to do the actual extraction and move the birds to a safe location. I was not able to be there due to work. The bird with the mutilated beak was taken to the vet where he quickly accrued nearly half a grand in expenses with almost no actual treatment. He, along with his family, is dangerously malnourished and frail. His veins began to collapse as they drew his blood. His beak will have to be trimmed severely in an attempt to shape it properly after his injury, and he may need a prosthetic. His brother has so many yellow feathers from liver damage that he looks pied.

Please pray, wish, hope, or whatever your beliefs lead you to do, with us as we try to raise the funds needed for their care, as we spent every last dollar we had paying the “ransom” as we like to think of it, to the woman who had been keeping them. We also wish we had the funds to “outbid” the person who reserved the last two birds, as there is a very good chance he wants them for breeding. Even if they happen to be of opposite gender, the nesting process would likely kill them. Even if they happen to survive it, they are full siblings.

They have a home waiting for them; a sanctuary in Washington has agreed to take them, Alaskan Airlines is working with us on the air fare, etc, but they EACH need thousands of dollars in vet care, and we are still praying for those last two birds. Anyway, with all the “news” coming out about it, I just wanted to share with you, my “parrot family,” what I have witnessed this week. I appreciate any prayers, thoughts, etc that you could send the way of these birds.
Thanks,
Dani

Last edited:

faeryphoebe1

Feb 1, 2013
Media
San Antonio, Texas
Parrots
Trixie, Sunny & Gonzo♡♡♡
My prayers are with this rescued flock, you Dani and Amjokai.

I cannot even begin to fathom the heartbreak you two must have endured at seeing the results of a lifetime of cruelty and neglect.

I truly hope that some benevolent being will find it in their heart to help out financially.

Is there a way to set up some sort of online campaign to raise funds, where people from all over could voluntarily donate? Like with change.org perhaps?

If you told their story and featured pics of their rescue, maybe there's a way to do this, and people could make any monetary contribution they chose?

HisAngel

Feb 5, 2014
Canada
Parrots
Rosa (9) the wonderful U2 -gotcha day Mar 2, 2014
Grey IRN baby - Coming home July 2015
Horrifying. Having worked in small animal rescue for years... It never leaves you. It takes a strong character and a strong stomach to do it for very long. I hope these innocent animals get the chance to know what a real life is, and you can take comfort in knowing you will have done everything you could. Sometimes that doesnt seem like enough, I know but it is. Thanks for being their savior.

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
Having seen something similar to this more than 16 yrs ago I can tell you, sadly you will never erase those images from your mind.:( The even more horrifying thing is that it is happening right now all over the world.:mad:

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
I've done two of these calls... and several hoarder calls as well.

I know exactly how you feel.

Not a pleasant thing to witness.

That particular sanctuary... if it's the one in Bremerton, that's where Woody is.

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
What a wonderful tribute to these beautiful and innocent creatures horribly abused by humans. It is truly amazing to witness the wide gulf between you, your club, and the utterly ignorant caretakers of these "hostages." I hope you are able to secure funds to "outbid" the parasite seeking them for breeding. Is it possible you might appeal to the last vestige of compassion of the caretaker?

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
These people shouldn't be allowed to profit from their misdeeds... they should be fined for keeping them in such poor conditions. I hope the authorities get involved.

But something tells me they won't...

It would be nice to at least report this, and give the pictures and vet reports to the local authorities, and the local media...

SHINE A LITTLE UNWANTED LIGHT ON THIS PERSON...

Mariar

May 9, 2014
Clearwater Florida but grew up in Wisconsin
Parrots
Doolie,Yellow nape amazon(r.i.p.03/10/15)
Sissy,severe macaw(rescued on 03-16-15) chirpy,sparrow(beak less) jack,Jill,chase,fiona,finch, and tiger,sulfer crested(rescued 04/15/20
My heart breaks for those babies...my thoughts and prayers are with our feathered friends.

Hawk

Banned
Banned
Dec 5, 2014
Media
Albums
Michigan, USA
Parrots
5 Parrots, 8 year old Blue-fronted Amazon, 2 1/2 yr. old African Grey, 2 3/4 year old Senegal. 5 month old ekkie, 5 month old Albino parakeet. Major Mitchell Cockatoo, passed away at age 68.
Having seen something similar to this more than 16 yrs ago I can tell you, sadly you will never erase those images from your mind.:( The even more horrifying thing is that it is happening right now all over the world.:mad:

Hi Laura and everyone,

That's true, very true. You never fully forget those images in your head from seeing stuff like this and I've seen my share o it as well.

The worst was when I was in South America for 3 weeks for business with company. One of the south American workers for our company, spoke broken English, we gotten on the topics of parrots when he said..."You Likea parrots?...I take you, maybe you buy parrot? " ..I thought yeah why not have a look. He drove rough road to this back jungle resort (sorta) and geez this person had like (wild guess) 60 to 80 parrots. Most were in cages so small....no toys, ugly indescribable conditions, and just awful. I wanted to take some pictures but a couple of the people there ran up shouting stuff in their language. I asked what they were saying to the guy that drove us there..he grabbed my arm forcefully shoving it downand said " No Takea picture....very bad, they don't a like" ...." they take pictures from you" ....hmmmm so I was at a lost but had to respect their wishes. Their ways and life style didn't make sense to me.

Anyway point is...you never fully get that out of your memory....I guess that's why I would dream of having the largest sanctuary on earth for parrots if I could, and take them all that need better care and homes.

OP
SilverSage

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
My prayers are with this rescued flock, you Dani and Amjokai.

I cannot even begin to fathom the heartbreak you two must have endured at seeing the results of a lifetime of cruelty and neglect.

I truly hope that some benevolent being will find it in their heart to help out financially.

Is there a way to set up some sort of online campaign to raise funds, where people from all over could voluntarily donate? Like with change.org perhaps?

If you told their story and featured pics of their rescue, maybe there's a way to do this, and people could make any monetary contribution they chose?

Yes, we are conducting a fundraising campaign all over the Internet, I simply did not include the info for donation here because it would not be appropriate.

OP
SilverSage

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
I've done two of these calls... and several hoarder calls as well.

I know exactly how you feel.

Not a pleasant thing to witness.

That particular sanctuary... if it's the one in Bremerton, that's where Woody is.

I'm not sure where it is located or what it is called, but I believe it is run by someone named Bob Dawson who is building these macaws their own aviary; they will be together and be able to roam! I have my doubts about their ability to fly, but hopefully some day :)

MyFlock

Apr 15, 2015
Parrots
Conures, 2 Red bellied parrots lovebirds.
I'm sorry to say that again this doesn't surprise me. :( you see a lot of things here you wouldn't normally see anywhere else ( and I'm not specifically talking about the care of animals) much of this appears to be accepted. Thank your lucky stars you live on base!

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
That was truly a "rescue". My heart goes out to you Dani, and Ariel, and the club. It's such great news to hear that that the Macaws will now be on their way to a sanctuary soon to live out their lives. Sadly, they will have to get used to what 'comfort' is as they may not truly even know how to appreciate it at this time, but from the standpoint as we look at it, it is a wonderful thing. Prayers and well wishes that the funding will come, and it will be enough.. hugs too.

amjokai

Apr 19, 2014
Wahiawa, Oahu, Hawaii
Parrots
Eclectus, Blue and Gold Macaw, Cockatiels, Ringnecks, Green Cheek Conure
I loved every moment of getting these babies out!

Everyone knows that dani and I breed parrots, but I fell in love with rescue work. I'm dreading when I move to the mainland and have to find another organization to join. Because I am a breeder most people think I shouldn't be allowed to do rescue work. That makes me angry because I truly believe that the problem will only get better when breeders and rescuers start working hand in hand.
I'm so happy and thankful that I got to participate in this rescue. Sadly on this island there are so many of these situations and they think they are just animals. They are fine. Makes me sick.

OP
SilverSage

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
These people shouldn't be allowed to profit from their misdeeds... they should be fined for keeping them in such poor conditions. I hope the authorities get involved.

But something tells me they won't...

It would be nice to at least report this, and give the pictures and vet reports to the local authorities, and the local media...

SHINE A LITTLE UNWANTED LIGHT ON THIS PERSON...

The authorities will do nothing. Remember my budgie rescue? Birds missing beaks, hundreds of birds in a cage the size oa bathroom stall, cakes in poop? Yeah, I got the "shame shame" finger for reporting him because the animals had food and water. Same situation would have applied here.

The news actually came out for the extraction, and believe it or not we are actually getting a lot of NEGATIVE comments from people saying we should have let someone else do it - apparently if you breed birds you should NEVER be involved in rescue! I happen to believe if you breed birds you MUST be involved... Also people are mad that we are sending them to a sanctuary off island instead of adopting them out here... guess what? the pool of people qualified to handle these guys on this island is tiny, and we are flooded with other rescues. On top of that theyh EACH need thousands of dollars of vet work. If we kept them here they would be doomed.

amjokai

Apr 19, 2014
Wahiawa, Oahu, Hawaii
Parrots
There are new pictures and updates on the Facebook page of the Hawaiian feathered friends network :)

MyFlock

Apr 15, 2015
Parrots
Conures, 2 Red bellied parrots lovebirds.
I just watched the latest video with you In it Ariel. Wonderful work you've all done! Sadly, there are sooo many situations like this here. I have some strange neighbors next door to me that have pets for a few months and then they disappear, where they go and how they acquire them is a true mystery to me! I can't even begin to describe all of the crazy things I've seen in my almost 11 years living here.

Last edited:

amjokai

Apr 19, 2014
Wahiawa, Oahu, Hawaii
Parrots
I watched the video and kept thinking..... "Wow, i say um way too much, and my voice sounds funny!" LOL

Most Reactions