Good travel carrier?

2manypets

Jul 24, 2011
Kentucky
Parrots
Green cheek conure-Rio
Can anyone recommend a good travel carrier for a GCC? I will be moving from KY to WI later this month so he will be in the carrier for 11-12 hours.

Abzeez

Apr 26, 2011
WI
Parrots
Bean the Blue Front Amazon, Chico the Ringneck, and Ida the African grey
I use a small cat carrier, but when we moved from FL back to WI we had a small cage for my amazon, with perches, and a small dog carrier for my ringneck, with perches. Also... They didn't appear to be stressed from the journey. :)

Rio Mom

Apr 7, 2011
Pennsylvania
Parrots
River - Green Cheek
Conure/
Pepper - Congo African Grey/

Rest in Peace Rio
I use a small cat carrier lined with a towel for my GCC also. I read somewhere (probably here) that somebody had used a cat carrier, and drilled a small hole in the side to be able to attach a perch inside.

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
I used a cat carrier for when I transported my cockatoo on a few hours worth of journey, we didn't put any perches in it, but we could have done as it had 'breathing slots' in the sides which we could have put perches in, if it was a smaller bird. But because of the size of him. We just put towels in, food and water and some toys for him to preen/chew. He enjoyed the journey. :)

birdmama61

Apr 13, 2011
Yep I use small cat carriers reconverted by me with those perches that have a screw and bolt end and I put one of those into one of the air holes on the side . They were never stressed by the move and I have moved cross country several times .

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
plus! You can pay up to like ÂŁ60 for bird carriers, whereas I cat carriers are normally around ÂŁ10-ÂŁ20 ^^

rosembers

Nov 15, 2015
Check out the Celltei Pak-o-Bird backpack. I'm going to get one of these! They get exceptional reviews - sturdy frame, stainless steel mesh plus shade covers, a perch that can be placed in various heights, stainless steel bowls, optional zipper guard for chewers, made in USA, can be used as a backpack, frontpack, sidepack, or secured to a car seat during travelling! Expensive but worth the investment and works as a multi purpose travel cage for trips/vet and a backpack to bring your bird for walks and such.

TacoNTiki

May 27, 2015
Calgary, AB, Canada
Parrots
Taco: female cinnamon pearl cockatiel - hatched: ~September 2013, Gotcha date: Nov 29th, 2013
Tiki: Male yellow-sided green cheek conure - hatched April 10th, 2015, Gotcha date May 24, 2015

Altum

Sep 15, 2015
Media
Austin, TX
Parrots
Foggy, a green cheek conure
I also have the Pak-O-Bird. It's a big investment, though, so it depends on if you take your bird out and about a lot (or want to). The other cheaper options here will probably work just fine for the purposes of a single trip.

Whatever carrier you use, I recommend let your bird acclimate to it for a bit before the trip, wander in and out when he's playing, and maybe take him out on shorter drives before hand to get a sense of how he handles it. You want him to see the carrier as something familiar, as his shelter from a new and possibly unwelcome experience, rather than as somewhere he's trapped that's part and parcel of the newness.

We did this prior to taking Foggy to the vet for the first time, and it went really smoothly--instead of having to fight him to get in the carrier when he was already upset by being handled by strangers and having blood taken, he scampered in there on his own to hide and sulk. If your bird gets loose in the car, you want him to WANT to get back in the carrier where it's safe.

LaurieC

Oct 24, 2014
Zigzag, OR
Parrots
Meyer's Parrot (Maverick),
Cockatiel (Tweak),
Sun Conure (Jack)
I have both the Pak-O-Bird and the small King's aluminum travel cage for my birds. They are both excellent. However, the birds never needed to be acclimated to the King's cage, and will go into it without a fuss because it looks like a regular cage. The Pak-O-Bird required a bit of training before they were comfortable with it.

imouse1

Oct 10, 2021
Media
NM
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure: Sir H. H. Gregg Q. T. Birb, III
What is the King's cage called? The link says I'm blocked because I'm SPAM. But if I go to their website directly, I'm okay.

Newfie-N-Tx

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Sep 9, 2021
Texas
Parrots
Double Yellow Headed Amazon, 2 Cockatiels and 2 Budgies
I was actually wondering the same thing. We’re in process of going to Canada in the summer and the drive from Texas will be long. We have to take a ferry trip to get where we are going that’s over 12 hours and they have rules for the type of carriers allowed to have pets kept In kennel on deck(there’s no way I’m leaving our feathered boy in car with all the fumes!) No metal carriers...so will check out what everyone mentioned here.

I have a backpack carrier (it’s actually advertised for cats) that I ordered on Amazon that works great for our birds for taking them out around. Our cockatiels seem like they have lots of space. Our double yellow headed Amazon is still young (8 months) and is getting kind of big for it to be in it for too long now but loves it, actually hops right in when I ask him if he wants to go in the car. Best part is I can hook it up onto the headrest in my car so they can see out when I’m driving. Seems like they feel more relaxed when they can see out. I’ve had my cockatiels in it for longer periods of time(not together) putting perches and toys in. It wasn’t very expensive. Under $30 and has been far more easier to carry around than the dog carrier also great for walks. I always take one of them out in it on trips to petsmart. I’ll include a photo cause it’s a really awesome carrier, and perfect for rides in the car. Saves space also.

Attachments

• EF097CDE-9976-4724-B4CC-1B121A7A6DE4.jpeg
    EF097CDE-9976-4724-B4CC-1B121A7A6DE4.jpeg
    285.8 KB · Views: 50

Most Reactions