Got my new conure today

jrl2512

Nov 26, 2012
Parrots
Knuckles: Sun conure with messed up foot

Sarge AKA turd burd: senegal parrot
So if you saw my other thread about the conure dying right after the cockatiel, you probably know I haven't had a good week. Luckily the vet told us the conure died from a heart defect, as the cockatiel most likely did. So the breeder replaced our conure with another conure named knuckles. He is called knuckles, due to an injury his foot sustained from his ring getting caught. We are going to ask the vet if he can fix it, but we don't know if the treatment will be too traumatic for the conure. He's only 7 months old so it's not like he's an old bird. Think any surgery would be too traumatic at this age? He gets around fine, and the only special need he has is we need to hold the treats for him.

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
I have no Idea but congrats on your new baby. What kind of conure did you get:)

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
Congrats on your new baby. Best wishes for fun anad healthy lives together. It's so sad that you had to go through traumatic losses with two birds that both had heart conditions. Such an odd and sad coincidence.

Enjoy. Show us some pics.

OP
J

jrl2512

Nov 26, 2012
Parrots

We got a sun conure, and i'll show some pics today. He's a little sweetheart. His attitude is totally different from the last one we got, so the other one was hiding its illnesses.

Last edited:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Bourke parakeets have a life expectancy of 11-15 years, but probably no longer than 25 years at best. They are about 1/3 the size of a sun conure (give or take depending on the weight of the birds), so rather small! My hen, at the age of 14-16 years old, went through laser surgery last year. Next year she should be 16-18 years in age. She's still alive and flying! :D

In comparison to your conure that's not even a year old, has a life expectancy of 20-30 years, if not longer... I would say Knuckles is rather young! ;)

Most foot and leg issues really aren't worth putting the bird through surgery as they learn to cope fine with their injuries or disabilities!

Congrats on bringing him home! I hope you and Knuckles share many great years together!

Ani_Banani

Nov 24, 2012
Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
Parrots
**Fingers Crossed**
Hoping really really hard to have a birdie in a few weeks. As of right now I have an EGG! (well not literally with me;)
Congrats on your baby!

If the vet can fix his foot, I would go for it. Like any child/pet with disabilities if you can better their life with a surgery that you can afford why not?

But it is always good to do some research and make sure his little body can take it.

Good luck and keep us posted!

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
I agree that even with a gimpy little foot, he should be just fine! It will add to his quirky character. Congratulations. I'll look for pics!

OP
J

jrl2512

Nov 26, 2012
Parrots

Ok now that it is night time, I'm guessing the conure is sleepy. For some odd reason, he is clinging to the highest point in the front of the cage, is there anything I need to be worried about with this?

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
When i first got Gilbert he hung on the side of the cage in the back and started to fall asleep there. I had a 'sleeping perch' set up (where Georgie liked to sleep) but he refuses to sleep there. I wound up getting one of the perches and putting it in the spot where he was hanging and every night, this is where he sleeps. he 'chose' the spot. I hung a couple snuggly toys there, since he chose it. Maybe your bird wants to sleep there and feels it is a safe vantage point? Georgie slept at the highest point, rear, center and Gilbert chose back corner high point.

OP
J

jrl2512

Nov 26, 2012
Parrots

I think you're right, since where that part of the cage is is a perfect vantage point on where I lay. I'm still a little paranoid since losing the other two parrots, so any little quirk he does catches my attention.

Most Reactions

Latest posts