Gray or Lesser Sulfer Crested Cockatoo

haydengoy

Nov 4, 2010
Good afternoo all,

I'm new to forum so hello to all.

I would like a little help. I've had birds all my life (32 years) and I would like to buy one or the other I do have some experience with Parrot and unstand there needs and had a jardine.I've seen many gray that only take to one person and every cockatoo i've seen has been docile with most people. I know that parrots are also noisy which doesn't bother me but are the sulfer cressed cockatoo alot louder than grays or not some say they are some say there not. Some say they are alot more quiter and tend to be more of a family bird than the grays. I also know how much work you have to do with them but torn between the two. There's always someone home (me or my girlfriend).

Many thanks

Hayden

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Hello and welcome to our forum. I am sorry but I do not understand yur question. Are you trying to decide between an African Grey and Cocatoo? All parrots will call to their flock at times no matter what kind of bird they are. Greys can be a one person bird if they are not properly socialized. What are you looking for in a companion bird?

OP
H

haydengoy

Nov 4, 2010
hi sb,

i'm looking for a bird that going to be more of a family pet than a one person bird once we put the effort in.

OP
H

haydengoy

Nov 4, 2010
i've looked into amazons but everyone i've seen are biters and are a one person bird we dont want that I heard that the Cockatoo are more docile and trusting. I've seen 5-6 and they seem quite laid back (more than a grey) some members of the family and friends have had Greys but they seem a one person bird. I'm looking for something that will bond with me and my misses and talk and play. We used to have a jardine he was bonded to me but everytime the girlfriend went past he would make quite alot of noise. I dont mind the screaming now and them but wouldn't want it all the time if you know what I mean. there's always someone in so company is not a problem.

OP
H

haydengoy

Nov 4, 2010
also what type of tests should I look out for that the bird has had diseases

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
The book we often suggest here on the forum is Parrots for Dummies. It is such a good resource and loaded with basic and advanced information. I am very partial to African Greys. They are wonderful, intelligent and loving birds.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Hi there,
It takes a lot of time and patience, when trying to get a bird to accepts everyone, not one person in particular.
Make sure the bird has one on one time with each person, each and everyday. No one can guarantee that a particular bird will be less noisy than another bird. Each bird has such a different character and personality, no one is able to pin point a quiet, lovable bird.
In my life time I have had 3 AG. The first one Congo, we got him when he was 6 years old. After a year, he began to accept all family members. He would prefer to sit in his cage, played and spoke beautifully. He was a very noisy, who loved attention.
Gigi, got her at 6 months old, interacted fantastically with each one of us (male & female). She loved going under out t-shirts, snuggling up to our arm pits and falling asleep. She was a real little lady, and behaved like one.
Mishka my preset bird, hand reared her from 6 weeks old, will willingly to to anyone who wants to hold her. Mishka loves talking and training. She is a constant chatterbox 24/7. She does have her moments, vocally, seeking attention.

Good luck

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts