Great birding day the other day

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Well! We have a new car! Our dear old station wagon had finally become too unreliable and we decided to take the plunge and get a People Mover so we could go places in comfort. Now, we have a lovely white Mitsubishi van with seven seats. On Wednesday, we picked it up and took it on its maiden voyage.

Now, it might not sound like much, but the place we went to is called Ash Island. It's a forgotten hunk of land right in the mouth of the Hunter River, where Newcastle is to be found. It's a very historic place because it was one of the first areas to be settled and cleared for farming when the second-ever settlement was made here in Australia. Originally, the land was used for dairying, since the soil was so good. Nowadays, though, the whole island has been basically cleared off and is being returned to a 'natural' wilderness in the hopes that shorebirds and other natives will return to the lower Hunter.

So. Off we toddled. We picked up McLunch on the way and drove over the bridge on what was a cloudy, overcast, miserable day. The first thing I saw was a pair of Chestnut Teal. These are small ducks, common enough, but not so common you'd expect to see them on any old Wednesday. I was chuffed! Next thing: Hoary-headed Grebes. These are tiny little waterfowl with big grey heads. They scoot along the surface of the water when you disturb them and merge in the rushes in no time flat.

There were lots and lots of Black Ducks and Grey Teal to be seen and a few pair of Black Swans with hordes of cygnets. This is a good thing! Last year, it was not wet enough for the swans to breed as proficiently as they should. The swans require a water depth of a metre or more so they can build their floating reed nests. We've had good rain lately, so the swans have had lots of cygnets. Yay! NB. You wouldn't want to go too close to a swan's nest! The males (cobs) are really ferocious parents and will bite and hit you with their wings to drive you away. And you'll go, too: it hurts!

We parked by the river and sat lazily eating our McLunch while a flotilla of seven gorgeous white pelicans trolled by. Periodically, they'd all upend themselves in unison to feed on whatever was shoaling just beneath the surface. Then, they'd putter on again until hunger struck and - gloop! - bums in the air and a succession of spasmodic great swallows would show that food had been had by all. I could watch pellies forever: they're so clean-looking and graceful, especially when they fly! There were white Ibises on the marshlands too, and a handful of straw-necked ones as well. Ellie (my daughter) was fascinated by the graceful white long-legged egrets with what she called 'ginger toupées' stalking among the sedges looking for insects. These were Cattle Egrets. They acquire the gingery coloured head plumage in the breeding season and I think it's quite lovely (NB. Both my kids have red hair and so did I as a child).

Well, we were about half-way through our McIcecreams when what should appear directly in front of us but a White Breasted Sea Eagle hawking for fish over the river. These are magnificent birds, as big as a Golden Eagle only white with black wing-tips. They soar on uplifted wings and seem to hang in the sky just checking you out as if you were an ant or something. Not that there's anything wrong with Ants!!! (Sorry, Ant!) :D This bloke spent a good twenty minutes checking out the bend of the river, so we got a great look at him, even without binoculars. I was sorry we didn't get to see him catch a fish, but I'm sure he did at some point during the day.

On our way home, we saw a pair of Spurwing Plovers with their babies. The babies were tiny versions of Mum and Dad, only striped to camouflage them against the marsh grasses. Luckily, the little family was relaxing on an ancient slab of concrete and so the babies were clearly visible to us. There were four of them, puttering around looking for gnatty things. The best part was the last.

Just as we turned toward the bridge to leave the island, I saw a large dark bird perched on a fencepost. It took flight right across the road in front of us and was a Marsh Harrier! Again, these aren't uncommon, but they're not a bird you see every day and I haven't seen one in years. Well, not as closely as this was! Mr Harrier had a characteristic white spot on his bum, just above the tail and was clearly also hawking for food. The Noisy Miners came from everywhere, mobbing him up so he'd go away and leave their territory. He did, eventually, but not before we'd got a really good look at him. What a beauty he was! Between him and the Sea Eagle, my day was complete: I didn't even mind having to have McLunch. Next time, I'll pack a proper picnic and perhaps we'll be able to go earlier onto the island and see what's to be seen there.

Just thought I'd share my lovely birdy day with you all. :)

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
As a birder myself it sounds like a wonderful trip! Between work, biking and the critters we haven't gone out in awhile. Need to make time to do that.

OP
Betrisher

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
The thing was, it was only a spur-of-the-moment picnic to celebrate our new car. I never expected to see so many interesting things. Isn't it funny how time elapses and suddenly you'll realise you haven't been birding in ages? Now we've got a gutsier car, I'm hoping to make it up to the temperate rainforest reserve at Barrington some time this summer. There's a green moss-forest up there that seems like Heaven when the light shines through the beech leaves and you can hear the drops of water splattering on leaves. Sigh. This summer, I hope! :)

thekarens

Sep 29, 2013
Sounds like a great idea and gorgeous place. I hope you make it up there.

Sometimes the spur of the moment trips are the best ones.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
MANY congrats on your new vehicle!!! :D

I'll be honest. I googled each and every bird you saw, Trish, just so that I could get a better visual, as I had never even heard of the majority of them. :eek:

WOW - just WOW!!!!!

I also googled images of Ash Island. It most certainly looks like a piece of paradise. :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts