Great plastic toys for special needs birds (and others!)

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
For you people with smaller birds, birds who are shy of large toys, or birds who have had a history of vulnerability to metal (or other) poisoning... I have found some GREAT little items to recommend. Here are links to them. They are simple little plastic links and doo-hickies that can be connected or attached to other toys, or just to cage bars. I went looking for items like these after reading a discussion here about the dangers of metal links or findings on toys. There were suggestions made that metal could be replaced with non-toxic plastic, and that sounded good to me. I also bought some non-treated, non-toxic jute. Using these items, I have replaced all metal fixtures and chains.

Plastic c-clips
100 Plastic C Clips Hooks Chain Links Sugar Glider Rat Parrot Bird Toy Parts | eBay

Plastic ornaments
100 Plastic C Clips Hooks Chain Links Sugar Glider Rat Parrot Bird Toy Parts | eBay

Jute
440' Feet Natural 2 Ply Twisted 100 Jute Twine Rope Bird Parrot Toy Craft Parts | eBay

On a more individual note... my darling Rickeybird, bless his little green heart, is just not the sharpest axe in the shed. Complicated toys frustrate him; big toys (especially swinging ones) can knock him off his perch during the heat of his incredibly reckless battles (and he just doesn't learn); I have to choose toys carefully. WELL! He LOVES these. In the morning, I attach them to cage bars and roof, make chains out of them; tie or clip them to other toys, and... he regularly tugs or shakes most of them loose by the end of the day. When the day is done, and I'm collecting the felled links and thingies off the cage bottom, he perches on the highest roost and surveys his territory, just before his tv goes off and I cover his cage and lower the blinds of his windows... and he puffs his little chest feathers out in pride and satisfaction. I love that bird.

Anyway... I recommend these little goodies!

OP
GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Oh, I am going to get a few miles of THAT!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts