Green Cheek Conure and 3 Budgies Getting along?

marsie

Apr 2, 2023
Parrots
green cheek conure (1), budgies (3)
just some background info- i have a gcc who i think is about 2-3 years old maybe (got him around 2 years ago as well), i dont know the gender (i refer to him as male / he/him because i kinda want a male bird). i also have 3 budgies, all female (vet said one might actually be male though? unsure). one budgie i have had for about 7 years, 1 for i think 3, and one i got around the same time as my gcc. my gcc likes me and can sort of step up (if that matters). my budgies tolerate me and one can also somewhat step up. all budgies are in one cage, gcc is alone in another (2 flight cages of same size).

(i think this counts as behavioral, my bad if it doesnt)

so my gcc comes out of his cage every day for a couple hours (cats make it so they cant be out 24/7). my budgies dont come out as much which makes me sad since i want them to be able to come out and enjoy life. i cant have my gcc and budgies out at the same time since im worried about them fighting. i have tried before and its always pretty stressful. since my budgies arent very tame / trained, i have to watch them close to make sure they arent getting spooked and getting hurt (all of my birds are flighted). there have been times my gcc climbs on the budgies cage and they have maybe tried to bite his toes? and he seems to try to bite at them too. im worried that they are trying to fight each other. i know that they can seriously hurt each other if im not careful.

they seem to interact with each other just fine when they are in their cages next to each other though. my gcc flicks his chop a lot and if it lands in the budgies cage they eat it (maybe thats gross), he also likes to climb upside down and my budgies have tried to copy him. they also seem to talk / chirp to each other

there was one time one of my budgies flew over to my gcc and they seemed like they were kinda going after each other, so i stopped them because i am worried about them getting hurt. my gcc is kinda mean and bitey, especially to people he doesnt really know, so im worried he will be mean and bitey at my budgies. he seems to be maybe "jealous" when i give my budgies treats and interact with them as well.

how should i go about getting them to co exist? maybe just not let them interact at all? i do not want to rehome any of them ever. i will accommodate the best i can for whatever i should do.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Part of my flock consists of 4 budgies and 1 green cheek.
They are able to be let out at the same time, my GCC Tom loves one of the budgies so much but the budgie, (Striga) does not return the favor.

You may be able to reach a point where they can all be let out and donā€™t hurt each other but if parrots donā€™t like each other thereā€™s not much we humans can do about it.
The only thing Iā€™d suggest is try and let them all out, make sure theyā€™re multiple food and water stations and all equally desirable perching options, this will minimize fighting over resources.

You could also give them treats when they are ignoring/interacting in a mostly peaceful manner.

OP
marsie

marsie

Apr 2, 2023
Parrots
green cheek conure (1), budgies (3)
Part of my flock consists of 4 budgies and 1 green cheek.
They are able to be let out at the same time, my GCC Tom loves one of the budgies so much but the budgie, (Striga) does not return the favor.

You may be able to reach a point where they can all be let out and donā€™t hurt each other but if parrots donā€™t like each other thereā€™s not much we humans can do about it.
The only thing Iā€™d suggest is try and let them all out, make sure theyā€™re multiple food and water stations and all equally desirable perching options, this will minimize fighting over resources.

You could also give them treats when they are ignoring/interacting in a mostly peaceful manner.
i think i will try that. the only thing i am worried about is them going into the wrong cages (it happened once, and it did not go great)

Most Reactions

Latest posts