green cheek conure mean out of cage

EN_

Nov 18, 2019
Parrots
green cheek conure
hi my year old gcc has behavioral issues and when hes let out of his cage he bites and screams and wont let u touch him, in his cage hes nice and loves getting pet but out is the opposite i would like some tips on how to deal with his behavioral issues:)-

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
A few common tips:

- Only good things happen when Humans are around!

- Change your Vantage Point!
* It is Never the Fault of the Parrot!
* It is Always the Fault of the Human!
By changing to this vantage point, you will see what you are doing wrong quicker!

- Parrots have no Natural Reason to Trust Humans! Every day you need to earn their trust by proving you are worthy of their Trust.

- Dump your expectations! Everything is at the rate which is acceptable to the Parrot.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
hello! Welcome to the forum! What's your GCC name?? GCC are such awesome burds! Mine is named Ta-dah.

So sounds like feels safe in cage, likes you wants a relationship. But out of the cage is feeling overwhelmed and fearful. If I had to guess I say has been spending to much time in the cage , and tgrn maybe you have reached in and forced out.

This can all be overcome. I would put a perch on the door if it is a swing open type, as well as one on the outside next to the door. Also set up the top outside with lots of perches, something to shred, mine love yucca chips. Put a food sbd water and treat dish up there as well. It can be helpful at first to put a small treat dish on the outside of door next to perch.

Take a couple of hours when you don't need to rush. Make sure ceiling fans are off, doors to otger rooms are shut, any other pets locked up. Get you a comfy chair, set it sideways and about 3- 4 feet from cage. Have your snacks drinks and what not. Open the door show him the treat ( safflower seeds work great) out it into the treat dish next to the door. Then go sit in your chair. You can talk calm to him but don't focus on him .

Hopefully he will come out and get the treat. When he does tell him how good he is. Hopefully he climb up and explore stuff on top next. When he seems calm snd comfortable uo there. You will say hi, show him the treat and go out in the dish on top. Then sit back fine. Praise him when he takes it and chat and encourage him. Every do often go out another treat in dish. Just let him hang out. Let him build his confidence and explore. If he is good about taking treats by hand then just say hi come here and give treat. Then go sit back fuen. Repeat lots. When ready fir him to go back to cage. Have a slice if apple, a millet spray, a grape or something wonderful. Make big deal of showing it to him and out in cage and tell him time go go back . Stand back away from door. Every step he takes to door praise bunches. When he goes in tell him how good he is. This may take time, especially the first few times you do this. Be patient. I've have taught non tame budgies, and fearful bee burds to go back to cage with just a few repetition.

Then take a few days to keep repeating. He will soon find that with no pressure, and lots if treats, that coming out and hanging out is fun and not scary. When he us confident wuth thst , I would start working on target training on top of the cage, and step up sbd back to cage, giving kiss, ect. Remember very shirt less than 5 min training sessions, with 5 ir less repetition works best with parrots. Then wait 20-30 min and repeat. They can get bored quick, and sometimes after they have masters something they font want to do it over and over like a dog would. Shiw sbd teach easy forage stuff for a treat to. Like show treat sbd cover with a little square of paper. Burd tricks on YouTube has some food target training videos snd teaching foraging videos

Hope thst gives you a good place to start.

And yes pay attention to body language, they giving you sign before the bite, you don't want to push them to bites. My GCC can go from things are great, to im trying to kill her she must bite me i pay attention, I don't get bit, a few seconds later no big deal she is over it, and we are back to being fine. Green cheeks do not back down, and they have a strong sense of what is right and wrong. If they feel you did wrong they let you know. But they are sweet and want us to be good humans, and will forgive and forget, if you say sorry and stop what you were doing wrong. Its very easy for them to get fearful of hands . I've hadvmibe fir 7 years and I still will walk over sbd give treats by hand several times a day.

Last edited:

Jkohnen31

Mar 27, 2021
Do you have other animals Thai may be causing fear?

Will he let you take him out of the cage?

She if you can find what’s so scary out of the cage for him and move it or maybe start in a smaller space?

I started mine just in my hands

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bonita

Aug 30, 2014
Pennslyvania
Parrots
Paddy male 8 yr.old GCC Cuddlebug, Emmy female parrotlet RIP Buddy 20 yr. blue headed conure adopted 10/23 Paddy RIP 10/23
How long have you had him? Any changes in home recently? My GCC was a rescue who drew blood first time I get near him! A month later landing on my finger, a lamb! Lots of work. Never push let him set the pace! Perhaps previous owner rarely took him out that would explain aggression due to fear.

OP
E

EN_

Nov 18, 2019
Parrots
green cheek conure
hi! thank you for the reply bonita ive had him for just short of a year-no changes in home and his last home was a pet store-do you have any tips for finger training GCC? my GCC isnt fond of hands unless in his cage so any tips would be appreciated!

OP
E

EN_

Nov 18, 2019
Parrots
green cheek conure

She if you can find what’s so scary out of the cage for him and move it or maybe start in a smaller space?

hi! thank you for the reply Jkohnen31-no animals that he can see he gets put in a closed room no animals for out of cage-he wont let me get him out of the cage hes not fond of hands unless in cage-i will try to find whats scaring him thank you for the tips

Jkohnen31

Mar 27, 2021

hi! thank you for the reply Jkohnen31-no animals that he can see he gets put in a closed room no animals for out of cage-he wont let me get him out of the cage hes not fond of hands unless in cage-i will try to find whats scaring him thank you for the tips

Are you in the room with him a lot? Maybe he isn’t seeing you enough

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
The tips I gave you, work well to really build on trust. It may seem like starting back at the beginning, but a fresh start over can be so helpful.

It layers postive association with you. And teaches moving towards you is rewarding. Taking time to build a good foundation and not rushing things. Makes things easier as you move forward.

Look forward to your updates.

Most Reactions