Green cheek conure only 4 months, flaps wings and crouches low

Happyandzaza

May 11, 2023
Parrots
L
Hello everyone im new to this and i only open this out of curiosity to find some answers.
I am owner of two conures one is pineapple conure his name is Happy 1 year and 1 month of age
And the other one is yellow sided conure her name is zaza 4 months of age I will also attach photos of zaza.

So i just got zaza recently and he is a very lovely and quite conure unlike my other conure but he is doing this thing where is flapp his wings and crouching he is like trembling i dont know how to explain, i saw this happening today for the first time when i put him inside his cage, I have to note that he stays outside of his cage all day until night.
Can someone help me and guide me why this happens ?

Attachments

• 1B305070-84CC-4961-9334-50BAA6AE9E5C.jpeg
    1B305070-84CC-4961-9334-50BAA6AE9E5C.jpeg
    116.7 KB · Views: 65
  • ips-5B9A5CDF-3DEC-4C85-B7B2-FD9091F4BD43.mov
    2.7 MB

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Hello everyone im new to this and i only open this out of curiosity to find some answers.
I am owner of two conures one is pineapple conure his name is Happy 1 year and 1 month of age
And the other one is yellow sided conure her name is zaza 4 months of age I will also attach photos of zaza.

So i just got zaza recently and he is a very lovely and quite conure unlike my other conure but he is doing this thing where is flapp his wings and crouching he is like trembling i dont know how to explain, i saw this happening today for the first time when i put him inside his cage, I have to note that he stays outside of his cage all day until night.
Can someone help me and guide me why this happens ?
Such a cutie but that does look a bit odd. Has he seen an avian vet?

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
To me, this looks like anxious/nervous behavior.
I’ve seen my green cheek Tom do this if something is very scary or making him nervous.

If it’s worrying you, as stated above, I always recommend an Avian vet visit.

OP
Happyandzaza

Happyandzaza

May 11, 2023
Parrots
L
Such a cutie but that does look a bit odd. Has he seen an avian vet?
Unfortunately I live in Kosovo and I can not find a vet specific for birds and they dont have answers for Conures, can this behavior be because my pineapple conure sometimes attacked her because they used to live in the same cage for 2 weeks and she is fearful now, its been 3 days since i separate them and he is slowly making good progress because he is a very scared little bird

OP
Happyandzaza

Happyandzaza

May 11, 2023
Parrots
L
I’ve seen my green cheek Tom do this if something is very scary or making him nervous.

I think mine does this only when i put him in his cage and only when im looking at him, is he craving attention,? please note that he used to be in a big cage with my other conure and sometimes he would bite him in neck and fingers, but at night they sleep together preening each other. He is comfortable around me lets me cuddle him and scratch his head and back for hours, even sleeps in my shoulder if i let him long enough, but he is a really scared little bird, these past 3 days i put him alone in a smaller cage and he is making big progress.
Zaza is an awesome gcc so if you have any advice im so thankfull

OP
Happyandzaza

Happyandzaza

May 11, 2023
Parrots
L

And if i put him in his cage and leave the door open he will not do the weird flaps

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I think mine does this only when i put him in his cage and only when im looking at him, is he craving attention,? please note that he used to be in a big cage with my other conure and sometimes he would bite him in neck and fingers, but at night they sleep together preening each other. He is comfortable around me lets me cuddle him and scratch his head and back for hours, even sleeps in my shoulder if i let him long enough, but he is a really scared little bird, these past 3 days i put him alone in a smaller cage and he is making big progress.
Zaza is an awesome gcc so if you have any advice im so thankfull
He sounds like a sweet guy!

If the two conures fight, it’s possible they always will and will never be able to live together.
He may feel a bit claustrophobic in the little cage and just wants more space.
Maybe you should look for a larger more permanent cage.
It’s unfortunate, but even birds of the same species, may never be friends.

OP
Happyandzaza

Happyandzaza

May 11, 2023
Parrots
L
He sounds like a sweet guy!

If the two conures fight, it’s possible they always will and will never be able to live together.
He may feel a bit claustrophobic in the little cage and just wants more space.
Maybe you should look for a larger more permanent cage.
It’s unfortunate, but even birds of the same species, may never be friends.
Yes happy is so territorial and dont want no one near me and thats why he maybe attack zaza when he steps up and when i give him treats and usual stuff, he will attack my girlfriend aswell when she hugs me or something

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
THe interactions of 2 or more parrots is always problematical. Much like water, they usually find their own level, but that is not to say that it will be an even one, Usually one parrot emerges as the dominant one. That behavior you described does seem like one of anxiety, which might dissipate after more time.

That is an awfully small cage for the conure in it, just as an observation.

OP
Happyandzaza

Happyandzaza

May 11, 2023
Parrots
L
THe interactions of 2 or more parrots is always problematical. Much like water, they usually find their own level, but that is not to say that it will be an even one, Usually one parrot emerges as the dominant one. That behavior you described does seem like one of anxiety, which might dissipate after more time.

That is an awfully small cage for the conure in it, just as an observation.
Hello thanks for reply, well i know that is a small cage a budgie used to live in this cage, and he been here only for 3 days I didnt plan to keep it this long but i saw zaza doing progress so I kept her here. she used to live in a very big cage I will show on photo also im planing to take her back as soon as she is more stable and not fearful, i think will give both my conures time to reflect and miss each other i Just hope that they wont fight, zaza dont even try to fight back never

Attachments

• 0e8c7c22-706e-45c9-8bdd-8540a89477d3.jpeg
    0e8c7c22-706e-45c9-8bdd-8540a89477d3.jpeg
    137.8 KB · Views: 28

LaurieC

Oct 24, 2014
Zigzag, OR
Parrots
Meyer's Parrot (Maverick),
Cockatiel (Tweak),
Sun Conure (Jack)
It's a begging behavior. It means he wants something - attention, out of his cage, or to be picked up, or a treat, etc. We call it the "wanty wings". When mine wants something baddly enough he does it so hard it practically looks like he's having convulsions.

Most Reactions

Latest posts