Green cheek conure weaned too early?

Ajmidland

Feb 10, 2020
My conure is about a year old and I have had him for about two months. The orevious owners had to regime him due to bringing home triplets from the NICU and justifyably not having time for him. I don’t have a tremendous amount of info about him. But I used to had feed birds years and years ago and his head bobbing is reminiscent of baby bird head bobbing. I’ve read info about the psychological damage early weaning and forced weaning can do. But can find no info about the possible signs to look for. I gathered info from previous lenders that they had questionable concerns that the person they bought him from had much experience or took any extra care. Perhaps he was parent raised ?
Any info or suggestions would be helpful. I might be imagining things or reading too much into it.
Wondering if trying to offer hand fed food would be beneficial to bonding. He’s quite handshy and loves to ride on my shoulder. So we are just working on gaining trust. But I’ve yet to see videos of the same type of head bobbing he does.
Thanks in advance for any feedback :):gcc:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
At one year old (if true) your Parrot is well past the point of needing to be weaned. It is likely a response to being in a new home and needing the comfort of being fed by hand. Consider using pellets that have been allow to become near mush in warm water and providing it to your Parrot. Commonly, (as I am told) this may only be needed for a few days and your Parrot will be back on regular food.

Hope this helps!

Noahs_Birds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 24, 2019
Toowoomba/Highfields, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Yellow Sided GCC's, Rosa Bourkes Parrots, Full Red Fronted Turqoisine Parrots, Quaker Parrots 'Scomo PM' 'Jenny PM's wife', PLUS: Rare Finches, Doves and Quail
I agree with Sailboat, I take my conures away from the parents once they are 5 months old with no worries at all

Thanks
Noah Till

Most Reactions

Latest posts