Green Cheek Conure Weight

Lokigreencheek

Feb 13, 2022
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Hello everyone!

I'm new here but I am hoping I can get some insight from the wonderful bird owners here :) I am trying to get some second opinions on the weight of my GCC to see if she really is at a healthy weight. Her vet told me at our last visit in July 2021 that she needed to lose weight and we were getting her on a plan to avoid seeds which she does love more than anything else, lol. I weighed her last night and she came out to 70g. I'll weigh her again first thing in the morning after her first poop to have a better baseline, but even still I see 60-80g is the average weight for GCC.

I called the vet this morning to confirm her weight from last year because all I could find is her 03/2020 weight of 75g. They said her weight from 07/2021 was 64g... so either they told me she needed to lose weight at 64g which I think is bad advice, or they logged the weight wrong and now I have no idea what her starting weight was for weight-loss comparison. I attached a picture - had to use papaya treats to convince her to get on the scale :ROFLMAO:

From everyone else's experience, is 70g a good weight for a 3 year old GCC? I'm very concerned about my vets advice o_O

Attachments

• loki.jpg
    loki.jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 547

Ramble

Jul 4, 2019
Now in the beautiful Midwest!
Parrots
Bertie, the feisty, 17-yr-old, road-trippin’, green cheek conure
Well, birds are like humans; everyone is a little different. My family are all thin and around 5’7” and 125# while I’m a little muscled brick at 5’3” and 135.
My GCC was 58g when I got her a few years ago. She has been eating everything in sight since then :ROFLMAO:And she is still on the low side at 62g. Her last checkup was fine, so I think she is just a smaller bird (and, admittedly older.). Did the vet say your bird looks too heavy? Or are they just going by the weight chart? At 64g, I would not think your GCC is overweight…

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Hello everyone!

I'm new here but I am hoping I can get some insight from the wonderful bird owners here :) I am trying to get some second opinions on the weight of my GCC to see if she really is at a healthy weight. Her vet told me at our last visit in July 2021 that she needed to lose weight and we were getting her on a plan to avoid seeds which she does love more than anything else, lol. I weighed her last night and she came out to 70g. I'll weigh her again first thing in the morning after her first poop to have a better baseline, but even still I see 60-80g is the average weight for GCC.

I called the vet this morning to confirm her weight from last year because all I could find is her 03/2020 weight of 75g. They said her weight from 07/2021 was 64g... so either they told me she needed to lose weight at 64g which I think is bad advice, or they logged the weight wrong and now I have no idea what her starting weight was for weight-loss comparison. I attached a picture - had to use papaya treats to convince her to get on the scale :ROFLMAO:

From everyone else's experience, is 70g a good weight for a 3 year old GCC? I'm very concerned about my vets advice o_O
70g is perfect, your vet must be ill informed. My GCC weighs 75g and I'd say he's perfect too, if you feel their keel bone it should protrude somewhat, not like a razor blade. Every bird is different, so what may be a perfect weight for one bird may not be for another of the same species. If you bird weighed 64g before and your vet said it was overweight, they are very wrong, if anything she could have gained some.

OP
Lokigreencheek

Lokigreencheek

Feb 13, 2022
Parrots
Green cheek conure
Well, birds are like humans; everyone is a little different. My family are all thin and around 5’7” and 125# while I’m a little muscled brick at 5’3” and 135.
My GCC was 58g when I got her a few years ago. She has been eating everything in sight since then :ROFLMAO:And she is still on the low side at 62g. Her last checkup was fine, so I think she is just a smaller bird (and, admittedly older.). Did the vet say your bird looks too heavy? Or are they just going by the weight chart? At 64g, I would not think your GCC is overweight…
I agree with you. They didn’t really give me much of an explanation other than she was overweight :(. I am happy with her at 70g and it sounds like she is in a good place! Thanks for your insight 🤗

OP
Lokigreencheek

Lokigreencheek

Feb 13, 2022
Parrots
Green cheek conure
70g is perfect, your vet must be ill informed. My GCC weighs 75g and I'd say he's perfect too, if you feel their keel bone it should protrude somewhat, not like a razor blade. Every bird is different, so what may be a perfect weight for one bird may not be for another of the same species. If you bird weighed 64g before and your vet said it was overweight, they are very wrong, if anything she could have gained some.
Thank you so much for your response! I’m happy to hear she is definitely within the healthy range so I feel much better. She was at 75g in 2020 and even then she still wasn’t outside the range.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
your bird looks beautiful @ 70-75 grams is a very average weight for the species .

I feel worried about the trend I'm hearing about vets calling burds overweight. And not talking how in tiny birds this could only be a gram or two differences. And how to carefully monitor any changes and to go slow.

A theory I have is that they are not used to palpation of flighted burds with developed pectoral. As the norm used to be clipped and the norm now is to keep flighted .

In little birds a few grams is a big deal.

Its better to go by % body mass. And since we usually talk about weight loss in a sick burd ill use thst exampl.
# of grams lost Ă· birds normal weight Ă— 100 = % lost

Example 5 grams lost 75 grams normal weight but now weight 70g
5Ă·76=0.66Ă— 100 = 6.6% weight loss.
3% loss figure out if any reason take to vet
5% -10% lost you have a health issue or sick burd get to veterinarian
10% or more lost a very sick bird get to veterinarian quickly and consider starting support feeding.
Weight should be checked in morning after morning poop. Look for downward trends, there is going to be little shifts up and down. Females will gain weight when carrying eggs.

OP
Lokigreencheek

Lokigreencheek

Feb 13, 2022
Parrots
Green cheek conure
your bird looks beautiful @ 70-75 grams is a very average weight for the species .

I feel worried about the trend I'm hearing about vets calling burds overweight. And not talking how in tiny birds this could only be a gram or two differences. And how to carefully monitor any changes and to go slow.

A theory I have is that they are not used to palpation of flighted burds with developed pectoral. As the norm used to be clipped and the norm now is to keep flighted .

In little birds a few grams is a big deal.

Its better to go by % body mass. And since we usually talk about weight loss in a sick burd ill use thst exampl.
# of grams lost Ă· birds normal weight Ă— 100 = % lost

Example 5 grams lost 75 grams normal weight but now weight 70g
5Ă·76=0.66Ă— 100 = 6.6% weight loss.
3% loss figure out if any reason take to vet
5% -10% lost you have a health issue or sick burd get to veterinarian
10% or more lost a very sick bird get to veterinarian quickly and consider starting support feeding.
Weight should be checked in morning after morning poop. Look for downward trends, there is going to be little shifts up and down. Females will gain weight when carrying eggs.
This is super helpful and I like that way of looking at their weight. I definitely want to start tracking her weight myself so I can just make sure she isn't gaining or dropping at a huge rate. Not relying on the vet for judging her weight anymore :unsure:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
It's just my opinion but I don't think she needs to drop any weight. The 64 grams was too low or a not done growing weight.

Most Reactions