Green Cheek female plucking her feathers

Jen G

Feb 23, 2022
Parrots
Green cheek Conure
Our sweet Conure, Nico, is plucking her chest feathers and down one leg. We took her to our avian vet who said it was most likely related to hormones since her plucking extends down to underside. She does not lay eggs.
I am reaching out to all of you bc I feel like we need something but not sure what! We have read every blog imaginable on the subject.
Take a look at her pics and let me know what you think and any tips or tricks.
Btw we wear her every day, feed her high grade kibble and share our organic food/veggies, etc and she has a lovely outdoor cage to get plenty of So Cal sun. Does she need another conure?? We have had her for 8 years!
The plucking is new - maybe one year now?? Thanks all!! Jen

Attachments

• E244BA76-0575-471B-9249-B87F99347058.jpeg
    E244BA76-0575-471B-9249-B87F99347058.jpeg
    339.7 KB · Views: 75
  • 85D696DB-D51F-47AA-957F-BE1BB49B83B9.jpeg
    85D696DB-D51F-47AA-957F-BE1BB49B83B9.jpeg
    306.4 KB · Views: 76
  • 92348070-34C4-4247-9191-C3610816E85B.jpeg
    92348070-34C4-4247-9191-C3610816E85B.jpeg
    281.3 KB · Views: 82
  • D89EE86D-86AC-4838-BD05-34D49BF5065B.jpeg
    D89EE86D-86AC-4838-BD05-34D49BF5065B.jpeg
    245.8 KB · Views: 76

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
For me, a sign of yeast overgrowth.
And a couple of other health issues I can't think of currently....possibly Guardia...possibly
.chronic kidney issue ( more common than we realize, I think Scott had a kidney article) I think EllenD would have recommended an x-ray..but that can have risks

I know you took to vet.... sometimes its worth a second opinion.

I would offer her plain Greek yogurt no artificial sweetners. Yogurt is safe and on parrot safe foods lists, lactose is broken down by the cultures .
I offer on the top of a finger and mine lick it off.
I have seen results in helping balance yeast overgrowth.
When I have antibiotics or issues I offer daily, otherwise I offer a couple of times a month.

I also highly recommend you start tracking weight. Digital kitchen scale works great. A drop of 4% body mass or more get back into vet.

Ofcourse veterinarian saw her , so it could just be hormonal.....but like you id worry a little

OP
J

Jen G

Feb 23, 2022
Parrots
Green cheek Conure
For me, a sign of yeast overgrowth.
And a couple of other health issues I can't think of currently....possibly Guardia...possibly
.chronic kidney issue ( more common than we realize, I think Scott had a kidney article) I think EllenD would have recommended an x-ray..but that can have risks

I know you took to vet.... sometimes its worth a second opinion.

I would offer her plain Greek yogurt no artificial sweetners. Yogurt is safe and on parrot safe foods lists, lactose is broken down by the cultures .
I offer on the top of a finger and mine lick it off.
I have seen results in helping balance yeast overgrowth.
When I have antibiotics or issues I offer daily, otherwise I offer a couple of times a month.

I also highly recommend you start tracking weight. Digital kitchen scale works great. A drop of 4% body mass or more get back into vet.

Ofcourse veterinarian saw her , so it could just be hormonal.....but like you id worry a little
Ok on plain Greek yogurt! Thanks! Jen

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Different for different systems.
Yeast overgrowth in crop smells weird. They can regurgitate. Can have less appetite .
Penny had crop yeast overgrowth after antibiotics. She regurgitate, ate way less, crop adjustment a lot. She needed medication called nystatin

Yeast overgrowth gi soft stools , plucking around vent this can also be with bacterial overgrowth

Systemic weight loss lack of appetite, respiratory symptoms. Smell yeasty
Ta-dah had this year's ago. She lost weight, took a few extra naps tge slightest tail bob. Very very subtle except she smelled

Edit: and this can be as your veterinarian said, hormonal plucking, as reading some females do this .

So just offering as best I can.
Seems rule out giardia , bacterial or yeast. Are standard tgen left with other, behavioral reasons.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts