Green Cheeked Conure soon

lisa06810

Apr 8, 2021
Ocklawaha, FL
Parrots
Kiko- Yellow Sided Green Cheeked Conure (will be home with us the beginning of May. Baby is still being hand fed)
About 17 years ago or so I had the best pet bird, Jax, a Lovebird. He was awesome. RIP Jaxy. Due to the pandemic I found out I will be working from home for the next foreseeable future so I wanted to get another bird. I am waiting for my Green Cheeked Conjure, who is currently being hand fed to become available. Probably another month. When I got Jax, I held him, cuddled him the first night and forever after that. Now I see if you get a baby bird, you should leave them alone for the first week. I'm not sure now what is the correct way. Do I continue the bond and try to keep the human bond,or leave them alone? It worked so well for my Lovebird but don't want to ruin the potential bond for my new baby. I won't be getting Kiko the Green Cheek for about another month.

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Very exciting!

Do make sure you fully quarantine your birds when you get the new one. Vets generally say 3 months=ideal, but never under 45 days.

I don't think you need to leave him alone for a week but I do think you should move at his pace and let the bird initiate contact etc.

Last edited:

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Hi! Forget the leave them alone advice! Let the baby direct you!
Just remember, many young GCC are a bundle of goof! Enjoy this and encourage the behavior! Because of a hard life, my JoJo doesn’t play at all! Invest in bandages now!

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
When I got Bumble as baby (a parrotlet, but for some things a parrot is a parrot), I had stay in her care for about 24 hours and then I had her out and getting to know me. We are well bonded, so I wouldn’t worry about that in the least.

Do you have pictures?!? We love pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Very exciting!

Do make sure you fully quarantine your birds when you get the new one. Vets generally say 3 months=ideal, but never under 45 days. I don't think you need to leave them alone for a week but I do think you should move at their pace and let the bird initiate contact etc.

Excellent advice, but since the OP said they *had* a bird about 17 years ago, I think the baby will be an only bird.

Squeekmouse

May 31, 2017
Illinois
Parrots
Yoda, Green Cheek Conure - Trigger, Congo African Grey
The "leave them alone" advice really only applies if the bird is scared and has little experience with people handling them. The idea being to give them time to calm down and accept their new home.

Yoda would have broken out of his cage and pecked the heck out of us if we had tried to leave him alone the first week. :) He was a cuddle-bug right from the start. GCC's are often super affectionate and not so scared.

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
Albie was a hand reared baby and he wanted out of his cage the very next morning after we got him home. Albie would absolutely have torn his cage to bits to get to us if we left him alone for a week. He was the sweetest and bravest out of the ones I was shown.

OP
L

lisa06810

Apr 8, 2021
Ocklawaha, FL
Parrots
Kiko- Yellow Sided Green Cheeked Conure (will be home with us the beginning of May. Baby is still being hand fed)
Yes, this will be my only bird now. I have been bird-less for too long. We are going to visit him/her tomorrow. Kiko is still being hand fed and not ready to come home. I'll take some pics to share. Thanks for the advice. We will follow Kiko's lead.

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
yeah little baby Kiko!

My tip get a digital kitchen scale. Weigh your bird weekly. A great way to help pick up problems earky!! Been a life saver when my flock got sick. I was able to pick it up before they got in dire condition like Penny did. ( MY first one to break with it) and helped my vet and I make changes to medication based on how their weights did. Such an easy thing to do

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Very exciting!

Do make sure you fully quarantine your birds when you get the new one. Vets generally say 3 months=ideal, but never under 45 days. I don't think you need to leave them alone for a week but I do think you should move at their pace and let the bird initiate contact etc.

Excellent advice, but since the OP said they *had* a bird about 17 years ago, I think the baby will be an only bird.

I read this as though the OP still had the 17 year old bird. That is why I mentioned quarantine. I missed the RIP part. Sorry.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Green cheeks usually aren't chewing the rope perches. At least my 2 never did at all. I think keeping an eye out for it is fine. Those rope perches are tough, green cheeks hsve little beaks.
With all the other stuff to chew and shred, I just haven't had any rope perch chewing going on.

Tho I did discover today some window moldings chewing on! Sneaky beaks.....
But any toys with soft rope, or fibers you can pull off, no way! I hate that they sell pre frayed rope preen toys terrible @ no felt toys either the little fibers are bad as well

We are all getting excited fir this little baby to come home!!!" We need a picture!

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts