Green skin???

Stosc123

Jun 19, 2021
Help, my sweet little papaya has green skin on her legs. both of them. I only noticed this yesterday but did not realize how big of a spot it is on her. She is about 4 years old and hasn't shown any sign of illness. I give her and skye (her partner) fruits and seeds and a cuttle bone so it cant be any deficiency - I hope. Ive been googling and literally nothing shows up. Can her skin just naturally be green like that? I don't know how far up it goes bc i don't wanna grab her incase it might hurt her. They aren't very flighty and always prefer to hide in little ?caves? when they are outside so I cant imagine this being fall damage. She really is acting normal and isn't paying any attention to it so it might be that IVE just never seen it. And if it was infectious, Skye does not have anything on her so maybe its rlly just nothing. pls let me know if you?ve seen this before!

26263d1624166243-green-skin-38d07195-eeea-42cb-8998-022148d8805e.jpeg

Attachments

• 38D07195-EEEA-42CB-8998-022148D8805E.jpeg
    38D07195-EEEA-42CB-8998-022148D8805E.jpeg
    77.8 KB · Views: 143
Last edited by a moderator:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
No idea why the skin would be discolored other than either dye from a toy or some sort of medical issue. Can you touch the area?

Kitekeeper

Jun 19, 2021
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Parrots
Budgerigar (Bud), Pacific Parrotlet (Sam), Roseicollis lovebird (BJ and Turq), Linneolated parakeet (Charlie and Emma)
Hi Stosc,

This seems to be very unusual, I advise you to quickly go to a veterinary.

I?ve made a quick search in the internet and have found green skin disorder in birds related to a possible bacteria infection into the skin. They call it Gangrenous dermatitis and may be treated with antibiotics. It is commom to develop in the breast, abdomen, wing, or thigh.

You may need to act swiftly and possibly separate the couple to protect Skye.

Please let us know ih there are any news.

Cheers

OP
S

Stosc123

Jun 19, 2021
hey so! good news. I believe it is a bruise. just was at the stage of being discolored. right now its nearly normal colored. The other day they got out , unsupervised, after a shower when i cleaned their cage and forgot to secure one of the food doors. i assume sometime then she fell (she is unclipped but isnt the brightest) or hit a wall perhaps. Either way i am relieved to know she isnt ill. Gangrene was a good recommendation and i almost thought that at first however nothing was scabbing or pus covered (thankfully). Like i said she is still very active and cheery, just had me worried.

Most Reactions

Latest posts